PDA

View Full Version : bleeding sodding brakes

A Yerbury
19-04-2004, 08:03 PM
how long can it take-pah lemme get this straight.
1.clear hose on valve
2.other end submerged
3.pump away 30 times (with res cap off)
4.ziptie lever on
5.loosen valve- fluid come s out
6.lock valve.............REPEAT!

been doing this a while and no air is coming out! surely this way the air will stay at the top of the line and the fluid will just pass by it. I must be doing something wrong, 30 mins of the above should have squeezed the air out by now!
Alex.
ps its the front, I know that the back caliper needs to be upside down.

Pedro
19-04-2004, 08:06 PM
Hey Alex

get yourself an easy bleed kit - Halfords do em. It has a non return valve on one end so you don't have to hold the lever back and open the bleed nipple.

Makes life loads easier but I still went through a small bottle of fluid.

Ped

A Yerbury
19-04-2004, 08:10 PM
so you open the bleed nipple then attach the easy bleed to it via hose and pump away> or does the easy bleed replace the bleed already there? -lets refer to the easy bleed as an eb from now on!

limp wrist Al

Nigel C
19-04-2004, 08:34 PM
you can also fit these they actually have a spring loaded one way valve inside all you do is undo it a 1/4 turn and pump away !!!!

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/catalogue/product_detail.asp?PCODE=GDRBN506SB&GRP=MCP043&PGRP=MC006&CLS=MCYCLE&code=GDRBN&from=search

A Yerbury
19-04-2004, 09:12 PM
I think Ill get a couple, ta (next time ducati lets have em standard eh?)
Alex

Albie
19-04-2004, 09:14 PM
I used one for the clutch and they do work, but i put new braided hose on but i think i damaged it.got most of air out but cable tied lever in overnight and all air can out. Above all dont get frustrated.

Pedro
19-04-2004, 10:13 PM
Alex

put a spanner on the nipple, fit the easy bleeder, open the resevior, open the nipple and squeeze the lever repeatedly making sure the fliud level doesn't drop too low. At this point you should get any air coming out of the pipe. The non return valve should stop air being drawn back in.

NOTE: On the older square reservoirs, when you pull the lever back with the top off, it can squirt fluid up in the air. Brake fluid will remove paint! So mask off / cover anything painted you like!

You should only need to open the nipple about 1/4 turn.
I found it useful to set up the easy bleeder so the pipe is routed higher than the nipple so any air collects at the highest point.

Hope this helps - if you want a piccy let me know.

Ped

A Yerbury
19-04-2004, 10:25 PM
thanks again ped, Ill compare prices with that and the goodridge tom...bloody halfords again methinks, how depressing!!!! thanks for the tips, dont worry my paint work is sadly the most important thing in my life at the mo so its all wrapped up! and yes that spurt of fluid as the ziptie came of nearly had my eye out!
adios hombre!
Allejandro.

COR
20-04-2004, 12:34 PM
Just make sure the pipe going on the nipple is fitting tightly, I spent forever trying to bleed the brakes on a bike to realise this was an issue, ended up putting a smaller diameter bit off tubing in between the niple and the one way valve and worked a treat. Bubbles moving on first pull off lever.