PDA

View Full Version : Q for anyone with rearsets

Paranoid Dave
16-04-2004, 06:33 PM
I just fitted mine today, look the muts nuts in black, very different to the ones i had and far LESS extreme :D

I had to call Stu at spareshack to ask him what the little link thread thing was, turns out it's meant for extending the gear linkage rod.

So why is it mine don't need it, I had to alter the connector to the engine to shorten the rod in order to get it to fit? Also, when the side stand is up the gear pedal is very close to it? I've lifted the pedal quite hig but the higher it goes the shorter the link needs to be?

Can someone post up a pic of how it should look. I'd show you mine if i had a digi camera (pegs that is) but I don't.

Is it just me or are they all the same? I think mine's perfectly rideable so I'll have a look at those in Parkinsons in the morning too. :confused: :confused: :confused:

Julie
16-04-2004, 06:55 PM
Dave have you got your standard footpegs? i'm after a set for Ruths bike.

Paranoid Dave
16-04-2004, 07:09 PM
I have indeed :D

I tried to polish them so they're reasonably smooth and shiney. What's the going rate for a set of them?

What has ruth got at the moment???

Julie
16-04-2004, 07:11 PM
Ruth has got a set on her bike but they are tatty and i cant polish them up.

I'm skint after all the money spent on ruths bike. So i might have to wait until I can offer you what they are worth. thats if your interested in selling them.

Are they mirror polished in good nick?

crust
16-04-2004, 07:14 PM
Dave

rear sets move the gear lever further back along the bike so the distance between the lever and the engine gets longer.

The angle between the rod and the levers should be as near 90 degrees as possible.

Its possible that when you had your more extreme rear sets made a longer rod was fitted so as you are going the opposite way to most people then, yes you would need to shorten the rod.

:) Crust

Paranoid Dave
16-04-2004, 07:18 PM
They're PD polished, its a bit like mirror but less reflective and and more half hearted ;)

The only thing is, the original pedals were used in the old rearsets so I can supply the hangers if you can supply the bolts, rubber washers, and pedals/gear link. While they're apart you could ring round and find a cheap powder coater and get them done to match the frame, I always think that looks cool. I found a guy to do my clip ons who only charged a tenner so won't break the bank.

Or ruth could pay for it herself ;)

Julie
16-04-2004, 07:21 PM
when i say i'm skint i mean 'we' are skint...what sort of price are you after?

Paranoid Dave
16-04-2004, 07:27 PM
dunno what the price is or should be. Oh hey you might have to supply the pegs too but most people change them anyway cos the standard ones are fugly.

After laying on the floor of the garage for the past year, they'll nead a buffing up to say the least. what would you like to pay? *

* that's 'like' as in the price you'd expect to pay, not 'like' as in I want them to be 20p.

Julie
16-04-2004, 07:30 PM
any chance you could take a photo of them and e-mail it to me?
so i can see if they are better than the ones on ruthies bike

gary tompkins
16-04-2004, 08:27 PM
J & R,

I have a spare set of standard riders pegs from a M600. Will be happy to exchange for a beer at Arrow Mill ;) just let me know if you need them and I can post them up to you - or bring them with me.

Paranoid Dave
16-04-2004, 08:30 PM
GT shhhhh! I'm in a couple a quid here, what you go offering freebies for?

Can't you say thay're really tatty and ready to fall apart with big holes pitted in them or something ;) ;)

pooh
17-04-2004, 12:24 AM
Julie
If PD can't make his mind up let me know and I will bring the set I have down to the weekender, as others will tell you I am not at all expensive.

Ian

Ade
17-04-2004, 04:08 PM
Give me your old ones and Ill clean em up for a pint O the black stuff.

Ade

A Yerbury
17-04-2004, 04:20 PM
blimey ruths lucky to have such a dedicated mechanic! c'mon ruth get stuck into the monster, perfect bike to learn mechanics on ;) dave you sorted out yer cam covers yet?
yerbs.

Paranoid Dave
17-04-2004, 04:32 PM
Cam covers, wondered what you meant for a bit but i guess you mean the belt ones. Not yet, had a look at box hill and theres an extra bolt fixing on my newer style, and the black back part at the front of the front one is slightly different so might need changing too? But Joo and Roo are bringing a set to arrow mill for me so won't get to play til then. I'm busy sorting my hoop and rearsets out at the mo anyway.

Back to my original question......

I'm wondering if my gear linkage is different, might have been swapped when my man made the pegs? Mine is about 21cm long. Can anyone tell me if this is the normal length? My engine connector to the linkage is angled about 7 o'clock.

Still love to see a close up pic of gear side rearsets and link on someones if there's a kind person out there with digi camera ;)

I did use them today for the first time and no problems, just odd how I got a bit left over and the sidestand is soo close to the pedal?

Julie
17-04-2004, 04:53 PM
I've got cam covers for PD. I'll bring them to Arrow mill but they are tatty so you'll need to do alot of work on them. They are yours for free tho so you gave nothing to loose

Paranoid Dave
17-04-2004, 05:17 PM
Can't wait to play, could even try and fit one there to see how it goes? If they don't polish up then they'll go black. Providing they fit.

Your model is ready now, polished up :D ready to go on your TV.

Julie
17-04-2004, 05:21 PM
fantastic dave. thank you.

i will e-mail you later i've not had chance yet.