PDA

View Full Version : Front Cylinder Sensor

Will
15-04-2004, 12:37 PM
Does anyone have the definitive answer to the purpose of that front cylinder sensor that sits in the cam cover of the 620ie Monster? I guess that it is present on all of the air-cooled fuel injected Monsters - but not totally sure about this.

The wiring diagram in the Handbook just shows it as a 'sensor' - DOH!

I have been told that it is an engine position sensor and an oil temperature sensor.

Can someone enlighten me?

Will

superlight3
15-04-2004, 01:06 PM
Will.

It is indeed an oil temperature sensor. Just had to replace one on a UKMOC member's bike recently. It ran like s@)t before, and was 'transformed' afterwards....

The later IE bikes have an oil temperature sensor in the sump and on the forward cam cover, the early IE bikes just had a senor on the forward cam cover.

Cheers.

Lee.

15-04-2004, 01:15 PM
Just had to replace one on a UKMOC member's bike recently. It ran like s@)t before, and was 'transformed' afterwards....

That would be my bike that would .............. Bike is indeed transformed. Nearly as good as a Hornet now. :D

I'll get my coat.

Lee, you going to book this trackday or what? I've coughed up.

Will
15-04-2004, 09:28 PM
Thanks Lee for clearing that up.....
......but....there is always a but; the temp sensor on in the sump filter is used to give a temperature reading on the LCD display - I know this cos the wire had an itermittent connection after the bike's first service at Chris Clarkes in Norwich. I had erratic readings on the display until I worked out what was going on and fixed the little spade connector on the end of the wire.

What is the purpose of the cam cover temp sensor - I assume that it feeds into the engine management processor, in which case what does the the processor do with this information? alter the ignition timing and/or the fuel air ratio? I can understand why these things might be adjusted because of engine speed and throttle position but not oil temp. Does a hotter engine need different ignition timing or fuel/air mix?

It's probabaly not good for me, but as an engineer (electronics) I do like to know how stuff works. :-))

Will

Chris
16-04-2004, 08:17 AM
Mine was unplugged for the first 18 months of the bikes lif, and it ran fine (ducati obviously forgot to connect it and thought they would hide the plug behind the airbox!) When it was re-conneced I was told it was a cam position sensor. THe only difference I noticed was that the bike started a bit better with it.

Chris
16-04-2004, 08:23 AM
Will, are you coming out on Sunday, run up to Rutland from Bedford up the B660?

Will
16-04-2004, 12:11 PM
Would love to come out on Sunday - unfortunately I already have arrangements to go down to Kent to see a friend - but next time you lot are out and about then count me in.

Will

superlight3
16-04-2004, 12:25 PM
Will.

The forward cam cover temp sender does indeed send a signal to the ECU to tell it how much fuel to squirt in. In essence it's no different to a choke on a carb model. When cold the engine needs more fuel, when warm, less.

The M900ie I fixed recently ran like a total pig when cold, but after 15 miles or so was better (but not perfect). When I put the computer on it, I can read the 'live' parameters from the injection system. Needless to say the original sensor was showing boll@@ks!

Cheers.

Lee.

Will
18-04-2004, 07:21 AM
Thanks Lee - I like to know these things........ I would love to get hold of the Manual for the Weber (Magnetti) Marelli 5.9 ECU, but it doesn't seem to be available.

Will