PDA

View Full Version : battery drain

A Yerbury
14-04-2004, 08:14 PM
well Ive spent most of my life running away from electrics but it seems to have caught up with me now. Alarms dont drain much I know but something is sucking the juice? bike was making a ticking noise...if a loose wire is in contact with frame and switch is off (steering lock position) could that be doing it? hmmm?
cheers .
Alex.

Julie
15-04-2004, 04:42 PM
Hope its not the same thing that happened to ruths last week

stef
15-04-2004, 07:13 PM
The best way to find out where the problem comes from is to unplug the 'bits' one by one.
I am new to the monster, so i dont know which 'bit' is the most likely culprit.
Try removing the fuses one by one, and take note of which one(s) you have to remove in order to stop the drain. You said you could hear it ? in that case, it's easier. if not, just check how much 'leakage' current you are loosing by sticking a multimeter set in current reading, at your battery. for that, you just need to unplug one of the battery connector, stick one probe of the meter on the battery terminal you have disconnected and the other one on the cable (you basically insert the meter in the loop). doesn't matter if you stick it on the positive or negative side.

once you have identified which fuse(s) need removing, you can isolate the circuit that's leaking.
(the main fuse will most likely stop the leaking, but it probably wont be the only one)

hope this helps.

stef
15-04-2004, 07:18 PM
just a thought.
could the ticking noise come from a sticking/tripping relay ?

Albie
15-04-2004, 08:16 PM
Could be your watch!!
Only joking as this is a bummer problem that i would not want to have. When I bought mine i found wires disconnected including horn and brake light switches. Imagine that journey all the way from hertfordshire via luton then the m1,m25 back to kent with no brakelights.Getting back to the point best thing is to get hold of an auto electrician or dealer .you dont want it smoking.

A Yerbury
15-04-2004, 08:46 PM
cheers, will have a nose about tomorrow

steviej
15-04-2004, 11:27 PM
DOES MY BOMB LOOK BIG ON THIS????????