PDA

View Full Version : Clutch....

Pedro
12-04-2004, 12:13 PM
Had the clutch out of my M900 the other day and noticed the centre part has a very small amount of free play. The nut is up tight so I can only assume that the cush drive has worn a little.

Is this normal on an 18k mileage bike? Is it something I should be worried about in the short term? Can't say I've noticed it before but it still rides ok.

Ped

Pedro
12-04-2004, 09:22 PM
C'mon, somone must know......

MotoNik
13-04-2004, 07:08 AM
I seem to recall when I had the clutch apart on my CCM that it had a bit of free play in it - I put it down to slight play between the drive gears?? I wouldn't have thought you'd feel play in the cush drive back at the clutch like that, but I could be wrong.

Nik

spacemonkey
14-04-2004, 05:54 PM
Ped, I just stripped mine down to check for you and mine is the same. Then I sheared one of the spring bolts off....
So, has anyone removed their basket and inner without the special tool (or the homemade bodge in the Haynes Book of Lies) by using the rear brake?

Does anyone know if there is supposed to be a little spacer on the end of the roller bearing in the input shaft where the pushrod goes (clutch side) or has something broke?

Why does the pushrod spin with the clutch? The bearing is fairly free to spin. The pushrod is very worn wear the roller bearing is and was worryingly oily when i tried to pull it out, which I couldn't manage at all. Totally stuck. It gets so far quite easily then sticks solid. When the clutch is used to pull away the final travel of the clutch feels graunchy from the clutch area.

Also the pressure plate has holes worn where the springs sit, like the one in the Haynes book on page 2.34 fig 18.17. Good or bad?

And finally, when the pressure plate is pushed out it is at a slight angle instead of remaining parallel to the plates. And the whole clutch seems be off centre so that when it spins it seems to wobble rahter than stay totally central.

Oh dear, oh dear...

CK & AK
14-04-2004, 09:22 PM
New hub from Ducati dealer is about £45 ( I know - broke one - and so has Harley)

I made a clutchtool out of 2 of the metal clutch plates - and bolted a bar in between them so I could hold the hub when undoing the centre nut - because it is ffffing tight - so I needed an extension on the bar to get the leverage.

Alan

Pedro
14-04-2004, 09:24 PM
Hey Nik

cheers for looking - sorry the strip down caused aggro!

The pushrod on mine was showing some wear but nothing too drastic. It was also a bugger to remove - brute force required! It's the two little o rings causing the prob - I squirted a little WD40 down the shaft to free it off as the clutch dust accumulates and causes it to stick. That might explain why the push rod spins too. It's propbably oily if the two O rings are knackered.

My pressure plate also has holes but they're from the manufacturing process I think, not wear. You should be able to remove the broke spring bolt with an "Easy Out" basically a left handed tap. Decent tool places will sell em.

Wobbly clutch? Probably needs new springs.

HTH - let me know if you wanna know anything else.

Ped

A Yerbury
14-04-2004, 10:29 PM
oh dear sm, sounds like pandoras box there! leave it be lad!!!