PDA

View Full Version : Oil Cooler Guard question

Normsthename
12-04-2004, 11:16 AM
Hi
Let me introduce myself, I own a Company making products for Bikes, radiator Grills, Fender Eliminators etc.

Hamicad ltd (http://www.hamicad.co.uk)

It is a new Company that has not been trading that long, but it is building up quite a good reputation.
I have been a biker for 25+ Years and currently ride a Suzuki GSX-R1000 (No Spitting!)

Someone with a Monster was admiring a set of my Grills fitted to a Suzuki SV1000 and commented there was not much around for the Monster in the way of Oil Cooler Covers, and a friend of a friend recommended this site to me.

My question, is there a market for Quality Oil Cooler Guards?
I do all the 2D/3D CAD Design myself and the biggest Plus I can offer to this site, is I will design what members actually want!
The Skys the limit with the design, I can make it out of steel, Aluminium, Stainless Steel etc.
It would be Laser Cut, so any pattern, within reason is feasible. Logo's are no problem either.
If anyone has any design ideas, I will listen!
At the end of the day, you will get what design you want!

2nd Question, how many different Oil Coolers are there?
Which models etc.

Thanks

Andy

superlight3
12-04-2004, 11:22 AM
Andy, give me a shout http://www.monstershop-ducati.co.uk we've got lots to talk about..!

Cheers.

Lee.

manc skank
12-04-2004, 11:26 AM
yes please! :D :D :D

spacemonkey
12-04-2004, 07:26 PM
Now isn't this a coincidence? Think you're onto a winner mister...

COR
13-04-2004, 11:18 AM
As the culprit I will say the coolers on my friends SV looked good, and as no one seems to have yet developed them for the Monster, I hope Andy get enought interest as I would like a ali look radiator grill on my monster. From what my friends with the SV say the price for theirs was reasonable.

Billy Bigwheels
15-04-2004, 09:12 PM
Count me in for a cover for a M1000

kevb
16-04-2004, 08:54 AM
Moto corse do a titanium radaitor guard/grill/cover/protector or whatever you want to call it. Beautifully made too.

COR
16-04-2004, 10:20 AM
Only problem its in Japan and I can't read japnese, looks about 22,000 yen postage and packaging might be costly!!

Normsthename
16-04-2004, 12:30 PM
Moto corse do a titanium radaitor guard/grill/cover/protector or whatever you want to call it. Beautifully made too.
Does anyone have a photo or link, so I can have a look?
What do people want in a Oil Cooler Guard.

What Material would you like it made out of? Steel(Chromed), Aluminium, Stainless etc
Hole patterns or Logo's etc.

Give me some starting points and I will knock a CAD Design up showing a few ideas etc

Thanks

Andy

automa
16-04-2004, 02:13 PM
Try this link http://www.motocorse.net/homeing.asp

automa
16-04-2004, 02:17 PM
UK distributor for Motor Corse JHP Ducati Coventry

spacemonkey
17-04-2004, 11:31 PM
Can't read Kanji? Shame on you....
Anyway, the one for the Monster is only 14,800 yen which is about £75. Postage on that won't be much, and doesn't take long. A letter/small package takes 5 days.

BoozyBOB
18-04-2004, 12:36 AM
oohh..bugger..
as some of the members here know..i was taking pics and measurments of oil coolers and S4 rads...
now i have an 800 i am playing with fitting covers made from 1.2 ally or .8 stainless steel...still trial and error here..

COR
19-04-2004, 10:40 AM
To Normsthename

My personal feeling is a aluminium cover to match the other materials on the bike, most monsters from new do not have shiny bits and a polished effect at that point would look out off place, I think either the name monster or ducati would look good cut into it but do'n't know if you can use the ducati name.

slug
19-04-2004, 02:21 PM
Norm
My preference would be dull/brushed S/S or Ally.
As for the design, just horizontal slots or perhaps incorporate the Ducati circle with the slash across (I think its supposed to be a D) I guess there may be trademark issues there though.

Albie
19-04-2004, 05:40 PM
Maybe just Monster etched or machined and slots

Billy Bigwheels
19-04-2004, 10:40 PM
Got to be stainless IMO. Ally will soon look like sh*t after a couple of stone chips and a salt bath

Duncan
20-04-2004, 10:37 AM
Stainless is great and heres one I made last year.

Duncan
20-04-2004, 10:38 AM
And yer tis fitted

Normsthename
20-04-2004, 12:57 PM
Could somebody please post approx. dimensions of the Oil Cooler.
I will then knock up a 3D CAD mockup design for people to comment on......

Cheers

Andy

Duncan
20-04-2004, 01:43 PM
There are 2 coolers one pre 2000 and one post 2000. Theres also a rad fitted to the S4 which is bigger agin. The pre 2000 is rectangular, whilst the post 2000 has rounded ends. It may be possible to have a common cover if you work round the biggest but you would need the coolers in front of you.

Many of the proprietary cooler guards create restriction in the cooling air because the grilles are blocking the flow between the cooling elements and whilst they may look good, they could cause bikes to run a lot hotter in summer.

If you want to PM me I have the DXF files of the older model cover (in the pics above) but came to the conclusion that the volumes would be too low to run it economically. There was a guy did clear plastic belt covers, got loads of interested posts and then sold hardly any so be sure of the demand being there. I was of the opinion that if I could sell 50 pieces it would be a miracle.

I am surprised theres not a carbon oil cooler cover cos I reckon that would appeal to loads of people.

Normsthename
20-04-2004, 04:47 PM
There was a guy did clear plastic belt covers, got loads of interested posts and then sold hardly any so be sure of the demand being there. I was of the opinion that if I could sell 50 pieces it would be a miracle.
Thanks Duncan, I have had the same thing happen to me in the past. :(

Cheers

Andy

COR
20-04-2004, 06:06 PM
Nice Duncan but it's shiney - there's no shine on my monster - apart from the gleeming paintwork of course! I really want a ally effect/dull finish. Black wouldn't be right either.

COR
20-04-2004, 07:37 PM
Here is a picture of the oil cooler with some rough dimensions.

Hope it helps.

Normsthename
20-04-2004, 09:16 PM
Thanks Cor for the Dimensions
Will have a look into a design......

Andy

claicerrig
20-04-2004, 09:59 PM
What about the oil cooler fitted to the S4 challenge and the S4r?
These coolers are diffrent again, as being curved but the do have location holes top and bottom
Would you like pictures and a cad diagram of these as well?
I think there would be a market for them and i would buy one straight away

clai