PDA

View Full Version : maintenance advice

MotoNik
12-04-2004, 10:31 AM
Hi all,

I'm getting my bike prepped for a forthcoming holiday to Italy and wondered if anyone had any tips for jobs worth doing?

Obviously I'll be changing the oil, bleeding the clutch/brakes etc before I go, but I wondered if there might be any jobs worth doing to save me aggro.

One I was wondering was maybe lubricating the clutch pushrod??

Any tips would be welcomed.

thanks,

Nik

Pedro
12-04-2004, 12:08 PM
Nik

maybe worth checking the clutch pressure plate bearing - I had one sieze which then made the pushrod spin as well...

Suspension pivots are worth lubricating if you can and a good squirt of WD40 in the electrical connectors wouldn't hurt either. Topped up the battery? Checked the brake pads etc?

See you Wednesday!

Ped

spacemonkey
12-04-2004, 07:41 PM
Take the wheels out and grease the spindles!! Ducati never had much at the factory so every little helps. Check every big bolt is torqued up right, and do a few hundred miles before you go to make sure every thing went back together ok. I'm riding to Africa late summer so let me know what went wrong!!! ;)

Good idea about the pushrod. Ped, mine did the same at the same mileage. It's doing it again I think at 31000 miles (18 months later) so I'm gonna wack a new bearing in just to be sure, although I might be wrong as I haven't had it open yet. And, yes, Ducati do the washer for the slave. Awaiting the pushrod until next week, so will report then.

MotoNik
13-04-2004, 07:13 AM
Thanks guys. I might strip the clutch tonight or tomorrow and look it over. What sort of lubricant would you recommend for the clutch pushrod? Just regular LM grease, or something with a higher temperature rating?

cheers,

Nik

Pedro
13-04-2004, 12:12 PM
I used copper grease as it's better rated for higher temp. Only used a little.

Ped