PDA

View Full Version : White Stuff in Oil Window

JJCool
12-04-2004, 11:12 AM
Hello,

Can anyone help or give advice, I have the usual White stuff on the Oil Filler window, More than normal, In fact i cant read the oil even though i know its at the max level, The white stuff gathered in the Oil filler cap as well, its a bit guey!! but not really stickey this happened when i took her out for a run (30Mins), for the first time in a long time, It was to warm her up before an oil change, I have changed the oil and filter and im confidant its at the max level. (skill and judgement LOL, Made a make shift dip stick), My only explination is that the bike was running hot (previous owner had oil cooler set for winter changed that back now) and moisture in the engine has gathered on the window and in the filler cap as these would be cooler than the rest of the engine.... Anyway will this do any damage and is there an easy way to get rid of it or will it just desolve into the oil over time (now that ive changed the oil) Any advice or help. To give me pieace of mind please....PS the bike runs perfect otherwise and has full Ducati history, No smoke or any adverse noise 7K on clock, 3 Major services.........

Cheers

JJ

superlight3
12-04-2004, 11:37 AM
Hi JJ

"Don't worry Sir - they all do that"...!!

Nothing really to worry about, get some quality long distance rides out with your bike over the next few weeks and most of the 'mayonaise' will dissappear.

The problem with the oil window is that it's not 'flushed' with fresh oil unlike the rest of the engine, so the manky white stuff collects there, as well as the filler cap, and for those with IE engines - the oil temperature sender in the forward inlet cam cover.

Cheers.

Lee.

Will
12-04-2004, 01:21 PM
.......and for those with IE engines - "the oil temperature sender in the forward inlet cam cover".

What's that - I thought the oil temperature sensor was at the bottom of the engine concentric with the little metal oil filter.

Maybe I have missed something.

Will

superlight3
12-04-2004, 01:59 PM
There's two.

One in the 'sludge' filter (sump) and the other on the forward cam cover. So the injection system can look at both oil temperatures and make a decision from there.

Cheers.

Lee.

JJCool
12-04-2004, 04:03 PM
Thanks guys for your advice/comments. I thought this was the case, Last Duke i had was a 89 750s (!!!!^%&&*&**ing thing) and i recall the same problem.. PS This was the first real ride i have had on a duke since 96!!! really glad i bought it!! I will post a pic later next week when shes finished,,,, Those who have followed some of my threads know that ive done a tail chop, New mirrors, New front indicators, Carbon bits added, and I bought Curleys set of D&D Cans.....Cant wait theyll be here sometime this week.......

Cheers

JJ

spacemonkey
12-04-2004, 08:24 PM
I would offer to sell you a new head gasket set, but that's a bit cruel really, isn't it?

MotoNik
13-04-2004, 01:18 PM
I had this problem with mine where I didn't ride it much over the winter. Someone advised me that when you get back from a ride take the oil filler cap off and leave it off while the bike is parked, so the condensation can escape.

Put the filler cap somewhere obvious so you remember to re-fit it before you go out again, or you'll have an oily boot! ;-)

I tried this at the weekend, and it seems to have worked. I've not ridden the bike since, but so far so good.

I did notice a bit of goo inside the oil filler cap too, so I wiped that out. Time for an oil change soon anyway methinks.