PDA

View Full Version : Help -wiring diagram needed

gary tompkins
11-04-2004, 11:46 PM
Has anybody got access to, or know where I can get hold of a copy of a wiring diagram for a 2001/2002 900ie. I'm gradually hunting down down the fault I've got on the starter circuit, but an up to date diagram would be a big help.

Looks like it's may be down to a duff feed wire to the solonoid from from the starter button, as the button itself and 12 volt feed into it both check out ok, but an up to date diagram would be a big help

see earlier thread...

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6100

TIA ;)

superlight3
12-04-2004, 07:48 AM
There should be one in the back of your owners handbook.

But if not then try Ducati.com, service pages, and suck down the online handbook which has the wiring diagramm at the end.

Cheers.

Lee.

gary tompkins
12-04-2004, 01:49 PM
Thanks Lee,

Wattaknob:rolleyes: I didn't think to drag out the handbook, assumed it would only have the usual basic stuff like how to adjust your mirrors, fill up with petrol or pump your tyres up etc...

The handbooks I've had for Jap bikes I've owned previously, were useless when it came to more in depth maintainance. which was why I was quick to invested in a Haynes book for my old m600. I'll dig out the M9's book for another gander ;) and failing that look at the Ducati website.

BTW - do you have a kill switch/starter button assy in stock for a 2001 900ie? I've still got a feeling a naff starter button could be culprit on mine.

superlight3
12-04-2004, 02:06 PM
Hi Gary.

If your symptoms are;

Turn on the ignition,
Thumb the starter, no joy,
Play with the sidestand, no joy,
Play with the kill switch, no joy,
Switch off the ignition, switch back on, no joy,
Do everything above three times, no joy,

Then (as more than one of my customers now know) it's most likely your ignition switch.

I've had three through recently, and after chasing down through the loom, replacing various switches, and generally tearing my hair out, it turned out to be the ignition switch.

Not a cheap repair, as the switch is well in excess of £100 to replace, not to mention the fact that your fuel cap and seat lock will not match afterwards.

Bummer.

Cheers.

Lee.

gary tompkins
12-04-2004, 07:51 PM
Lee,

Hmmm...

Food for thought, the ignition switch was one thing I haven't checked (yet) I'll try and give you a bell at the shop from work tomorrow.

As I said in my earlier post the bike runs fine - provided I short the solonoid to start her or use a bump, but the 12volt feed to the solonoid appears dead. I am getting 12 volts into the starter button, and the button itself seems ok. But there no 12 volt feed from the 2 pin plug connection to the solonid.

All other aspects of the ignition seem ok, and I can hear the fuel pump cutting in/out when the kill switch is operated.

Bugger :mad:

gary tompkins
13-04-2004, 02:28 PM
Lee,

Did a few more checks today....

Kill switch circuit is fine, and I am getting a healthy 12 volts into and out of the starter button so I'm sure the button is fine. I've also checked the feed wire out from the starter button as far as the 1st block connection into the loom, and again get full continuity.

Then I checked for continuity from the 2 pin block at the solenoid (Red & Blue wire), back toward the loom connection at the switchgear end. This was dead & gave me no circuit at all, and even when I tried feeding 12 volts back up the R/Bl wire toward the switchgear plug end I was getting zero volts out.

The wiring diagram shows the R/Bl wire (+12v from the start button) feeding direct to the solenoid, and not getting there via anything else (switches, relays etc..) Therefore my logic tells me I must have a break or short circuit to earth in the loom, somewhere on the R/Bl feed to the solenoid. But it must be between the 2 pin connector to the solenoid and the end loom plug to the R/Hand switchgear, because the 12 volt feed out of the button assembly is fine.

What say you ?

:confused: - my head hurts now and I wanna lie down

BTW I think Ducati could do with printing their poxy wiring diagrams a bit bigger - the writing was so tiny I needed a magnifing glass to read mine properly :rolleyes: