PDA

View Full Version : Loose front sprocket

Meteor
08-04-2004, 08:00 PM
I have just ordered a 14T front sprocket for my 98 M900, so whilst fettling the bike today I thought that I would try to undo the existing bolts, expecting them to be really tight.

Imagine my suprise when it took no effort at all to undo them - they were both barely nipped up.

My questions are

A. is this normal?

B. in the absence of a torque figure in the manual has anyone tried a threadlocker on these?

cheers,

Meteor

M900Dom
08-04-2004, 08:18 PM
They dont actually do a great deal, only stop the locking plate from rotating, as such they dont see any load.
Put some thread lock on them if you like, or a spring washer would do ;)

Nice to see some more Essex peeps on here as well...

You coming to Sarfend on Monday for the big Shakedown ?

Rideout from the Ace leaves at 10.30

Cheers and HTH
Dom

Duncan
08-04-2004, 08:22 PM
Its not uncommon for those screws to work loose and then the only thing keeping the sprocket on is the cover and the chain wanting to run straight.
If you want to threadlock the whole lot has to be clean. Its worth fitting a new washer each time and I use sprong washers behind the screws.

Meteor
09-04-2004, 08:59 AM
Thanks Guys!

Thinking about it I guess you are right about the loading - I'll stick with the advice about a couple of spring washers though.

Sorry M900DOM, but I will be at Brands on Monday (and tomorrow) so will have to miss the run, I am thinking of taking a ride up to Ron Parkinsons next weekend however.

Have a good one on Monday.

Meteor