PDA

View Full Version : Halfords oil

MotoNik
04-04-2004, 12:38 PM
Hi All,

Apparently Halfords are selling bike oil now, and it's made by Shell. Anyone know if it's any good? I'm tempted to suggest that as it has to conform to specific standards then it ought to be ok.....

I've currently got Shell Advance semi synth in my 900ss, which has been fine, aside from a little winter condensation (lack of use).

I'm shortly off to Italy (well, in eight weeks - I'm excited ok?!), so will be looking to go for a fully synth to cope with higher temperatures better. Bloody tempted to try this Halfords stuff, as it's almost half the price of the Shell Advance - £22 vs £39.....

Nik
Awaiting lots of animated responses!

steviej
04-04-2004, 02:48 PM
MMMmmm.............................

MMMmmm.......................

MMMmmm...................................

spacemonkey
04-04-2004, 05:06 PM
I used their fully synth car oil in my Porsche a few years back, and it was really good! Car actually felt much better, and at only £19 for 5 litres it was a bargain. But I bet the bike oil now is £22 for 4 litres and no doubt the same as the car oil, but they'll give you all the bull about bike specific oil... Now bearing in mind that your's is a dry clutch, you'd be fine with the car oil.

And don't believe the gearbox bull as mini's (and most A series) share the oil between sump and gearbox...

Pedro
04-04-2004, 09:05 PM
Hey Nik

Good to speak to you again the other day.

I've been using semi-synth Rock Oil and fine it great. Can't remember the specific grade but can have a look if you like.

Ped

Zimbo
05-04-2004, 07:10 AM
I heard it was made by Castrol!!
Whatever, it's reasonable quality and you won't hurt your bike by using it, it's as good as a lot of more expensive oils.
I'm another fan of Rock Oil, £16 for 4 litres semi synth Guardian, or £12.50 from Trade Direct but you need to buy a lot to justify the £8 postage.
My bike (900SSie) runs just fine on Rock Oil Guardian.

superlight3
05-04-2004, 07:30 AM
Saw an advert for Halfords in one of the rags recently suggesting that they're doing a 3 for 2 offer on service consumerables.

Could this mean Castrol 4R for 1/3rd off?

Cheers.

Lee.

MotoNik
05-04-2004, 07:34 AM
Thanks for all the replies guys.

One of the things I'm looking for in an oil is that it works well at high ambient temperatures, and doesn't burn when used for long periods on the motorway (I'll be doing about 2500 miles in about ten days!). I've found that this can sometimes be the case with anything other than a fully synthetic.

On the other hand I'm not convinced that an old engine like the 2v aircooled demands a modern fully synth. The Shell Advance semi i have in there now has been just fine. It's not used any, and it's not burnt any off. Difficult to say really.

spacemonkey
06-04-2004, 05:44 PM
I used to go thru fully synth like 2 stroke oil, especially when doing a motorway run. Now I use castrol GPS and it doesn't use any..

MotoNik
07-04-2004, 07:26 AM
That's interesting - my Speed Triple used to burn off mineral oil on fast motorway runs, and was only really happy on fully synth. It also used to show the oil light when the oil got really hot, even though there was plenty in there.

I'm officially undecided now!!

Nik

M900Dom
14-05-2004, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by nik_codling

I'm officially undecided now!!

Nik

No Not you Nik....... Surely :p :D

Most decisive bloke in the world :D :D

Good to "see" you on here Fella ;)
Catch you on Yahoo soon :D
Laters
Dom

MotoNik
17-05-2004, 11:53 AM
Cheeky bugger! :-D

I'm like the guy off the Fast Show, the one in the pub who always agrees with his mates....

"You want some nice Shell Advance fully synthetic in there you do. If it's good enough for MotoGP it's good enough for you"

"yeah, you're right, top stuff that"

"No, you want semi-synthetic, it's much better for an older engine like yours"

"Yeah, you're probably right, i'll get that then"

etc etc.....