PDA

View Full Version : new tyres reqd

MotoNik
04-04-2004, 10:10 AM
Hi All,

I need some new boots for the SS, and wondered whether anyone can recommend anywhere in West Sussex/Hampshire please.

I'm after D207s or Avons, and have been quoted £175-200 by the local depots for a pair so far...

I see from other posts that Micheldever or Busters might be the way to go - anyone got Busters phone number please?

cheers,

Nik

PS The Avons are recommended by a friend who has them on his TLS - he's a very fast rider and can't fault them for grip, despite being a sport-touring tyre.

DesmoDom
04-04-2004, 12:44 PM
Hiya Nick,
Got to agree with your friend, the Avon Azaro ST's are brill, as I've said on other post's, I've had Avon's on both of my 900ss's,
my 888 Strada and my 996 Bip and will be putting them on my S4,
as soon as the Dunlop 207RR's are worn.
The best thing I've found with the Avon's, is that when you get near the limit of grip they start squirming around (time to back off), other tyre's ive used over the years, tend to grip like sh*t to a blanket then let go without any warning, that's why I've stuck to Avon's and won't use anything else and I'm not being narrow minded or blinkered, cos I've tried the others and as I've said in earlier posts, there's more than enough grip and they last for ages.
Hope this is of some help

All the best
Baz

DesmoDom
04-04-2004, 12:46 PM
Sorry for putting a c in your name Nik, obviously can't read.

All the best
Baz

DesmoDom
04-04-2004, 12:49 PM
Sorry again,
here's the number for Busters.

01792 796797

See Ya
Baz

MotoNik
04-04-2004, 12:53 PM
Nice one, thanks a lot Dom. It's good to have that sort of feedback from at least one other person, especially as you've used them on so many bikes too.

Thanks for the number too - I'll try them now.

And don't worry about the "c" - serves me right for being poncy!

Nik

MotoNik
04-04-2004, 12:55 PM
Or should I say thanks a lot Baz, not Dom!

You've got me at it now! :-D

DesmoDom
04-04-2004, 12:58 PM
No bother matey,
Hope you have success

All the best
Baz

spacemonkey
04-04-2004, 05:02 PM
I agree with Baz/Dom about Avon ST, bloody ace! And HUGE mileage. Go on, you know it makes sense...

Nick. With a 'c'...

nik_the_brief
04-04-2004, 07:18 PM
Nik without a c poncy?

Not at all, just easier to carve on things without!! :D

Zimbo
04-04-2004, 07:46 PM
I'd say Micheldever Tyres will be cheapest for you, fitted. Busters tyres will need fitting, valves and balancing, and that will add £10 - £15 per tyre to the cost.
I use Protyre, owned by Micheldever Tyres I'm told, so i assume prices will be similar. Tyres for my 900SS were £80 front and £105 rear, fitted to loose wheels, BT010, if that's any help?

Having said that, Busters were doing some good offers on Avons and D207s during the winter, so worth a call!

Flip
04-04-2004, 08:26 PM
FWR at Kennington, top bunch of people and some of the best prices around with a genuine ride in ride out fitting service.

They are doing two rears and a front Azaro 2/3 for £169 get them to fit the pair and post the other rear or they'll deliver the lot post free.

Have a look at their web site: www.fwr.co.uk

Pedro
04-04-2004, 09:22 PM
Nik

I bought a pair of D207s from Busters about six weeks ago for £135 - Protyre in Fareham fitted and balanced for about a tenner I think.

Excellent grip levels!!:D

Ped

MotoNik
05-04-2004, 07:28 AM
Must admit, I've been using D207s for years now, and I like the grip vs wear on them - I got about 5000 miles from a rear on the SS, and that included two trackdays.

The can sometimes square off a little early, but i think that's often down to running them at trackday pressures on the road (too many traffic light grands prix!).

I'll let you know what prices Busters quote me.

cheers,

Nik