PDA

View Full Version : AAAAARGH!!!! Bloody electrics

gary tompkins
02-04-2004, 09:19 PM
Not a happy bunny tonight & here's why....

Decided to give the bike a good wash to today to get it nice and clean for the DSC meet at the Oakdene, then found the bugger wouldn't start - F**K, F**K F**K it!!!

Tried all the obvious things - like damp switches, connections etc. plus a liberal dose of WD40 here and there, and still it wouldn't bloody start.

Started to delve a bit deeper and discovered I wasn't getting 12 volts at the starter solenoid via the starter button. Fiddled a bit more and managed to get it to fire up once, but not on a second attempt. Managed to short the solenoid and get the motor to spin ok, so I know its not that. It seems like I've got an intermittant fault on either the starter button or the main starter relay feeding it - ARSE!

The washing may have something to do with it - but it could just as easily be sods law. Hopefully It'll start on a bump in the morning, Pauls Critcher's going to give me a hand. If all goes to plan I'll still be at the meet as arranged - otherwise expect me to arrive later in the van with a big sulk on :(

Paranoid Dave
02-04-2004, 09:39 PM
washed mine the other day and forgot to start it after, not checked it sinse. You got me Paranoid now :mad: so best i check it out in the morning.

Plum
02-04-2004, 11:51 PM
Gary

Dont know if you have looked, but check the contacts in the relay under the seat. I had a headache of a problem with mine and even though i checked it, it had a tiny bit of **** between the contacts which stopped it from starting. May not cure it but it is better to check than assume its cool.

Good Luck

Stay Groovy

Dave in USA
03-04-2004, 06:48 AM
Its Italian...and electrical...only way it could be worse was if it was wired by Lucas!

Hope you get it sorted Gary.

Dave

snakey
03-04-2004, 07:40 AM
insult anyones intelligence ....... But has the bike been laid up for some time, or just used for short runs in the last few wet & dreary months ?
If so the battery could just need a quick charge, as I've found to my cost in time, searching for problems that were sorted this way, machines fitted with electronic ignition will not work without 12v or more, 11.9v just won't do it!;)

Pete.

snakey
03-04-2004, 07:41 AM
:confused:

CK & AK
03-04-2004, 07:47 AM
Gazza, not too sure that we will get to you today:confused: Had a night out last night, and whatever we ate is not doing us any good today:( (neither drank much either:eek: )

May try to go to Bogs'ill in about 20 mins or so, but will see how things are when we get there.:rolleyes:

Hoping things settle down....

C

Paranoid Dave
03-04-2004, 10:46 AM
hope you didn't go to the chinese CK?

CK & AK
03-04-2004, 11:44 AM
No mate, didnt go there, but to an upmarket jobbie just outside Epsom.
Ventured to Bogs'ill, and I decided to return home still feeling crook - but AK has gone on to meet up with Gary T & gang, along with Dark-Jon, DRC & WebbyC.

C