PDA

View Full Version : S4R, what its really like

sidrat
01-04-2004, 03:54 PM
As I was the person responsible for getting the best bike in the world beaten by a tractor on TV recently, I thought I would share my experiences with the S4R.
We love Monsters with the exception of two things. They are a bit small for two of us and they lack ground clearance when pushing on.
We looked at the S4 when it first came out and thought wow!, but having the 900 at the time couldn’t see how it was going to make use of all that extra power going around corners, so when the S4R came along, we took a test ride and were convinced. The extra ride height makes it feel a lot lot bigger than the old 900, and I just love the riding position, I have even got used to the strange angle of the levers.
Have been around a race track on the original tyres recently and can say that it will eventually ground the brake and gear change levers, unlikely to do this on the road, and this is on standard suspension settings. It also gets a bit wobbly heavy on the brakes, but that is part of the fun. The rear ride height needs playing with (it made a HUGE difference on our old ST4S), I am going to increase the ride height by about ½ inch and see if I can get an improvement. If anyone else has played with that, please let me know. I can then look at the rebound and compression.
In a straight line it will keep up with an Aprilia RSV until about 120mph, when the aerodynamics or lack of take over. But it is real FAST, absolutely destroyed the Ferrari (which was being thrashed) in straight line speed and acceleration at Castle Coombe, as well as a 998!!
The looks are fantastic, love the single sided swing arm and the stacked exhausts, but don’t know how I am going to carry luggage (this is our only bike). So the only down side is still the space for a pillion, which is a shame as the motor and chassis will take two easily. All of the aftermarket seats seem to make more room for the rider only??
Anyway the S4R is really a great bike and everyone that rides it is amazed at the power the handling and the riding style, I can’t see what would replace it, just saving up now for the D.P. stuff….oh and it needs a hugger.

zedhead
14-07-2004, 08:30 AM
Well, you could solve your luggage carrying problems by replacing it with a Buell...

CK & AK
14-07-2004, 09:41 AM
Well, you could solve your luggage carrying problems by replacing it with a Buell...

Heathen! :eek:

C

sidrat
15-07-2004, 06:15 AM
We already own a campervan......more space, more style, more reliable and very nearly as quick as a Buell.......

lox
15-07-2004, 06:59 PM
Having owned a 93 900 Monster (nice :cool: ) I got my S4R last Saturday :D I've just one thing too say, WAH HAY !!!
Rich :burnout:

sidrat
18-07-2004, 10:11 PM
the s4r is bl**dy marvelous is it not!!!!! enjoy!!!

Vman
20-07-2004, 11:12 PM
Awsome, All the power and none of the pain.
Its the monster of monsters

I swapped my 996s for it and have`nt looked back. Great!!!

Just cant wait to get it on the track....

NattyBoy
21-07-2004, 07:53 AM
You took yer time Vman... :D