PDA

View Full Version : Tyres - ouch that sounds steep!!

nik_the_brief
01-04-2004, 03:19 PM
My M600 failed it's MOT today coz the rear tyre is virtually down to the canvas ( bloody thing squared off as well with all the poxy motorway miles I've had to do recently).

I've just been quoted £120 for my local bike shop to supply and fit a Dunlop D207 - that sounds quite expensive as I see on other threads here that I could almost get a pair for that.

Do ya think I should try and haggle with the bloke? If so what do you reckon I could knock him down to? I don't really want to have to take it away and get it done elsewhere and then pay a re-test fee. :confused:

PaulS
01-04-2004, 03:32 PM
Phone Micheldever Tyres on 01962 774437 and ask for a quote. Their standard price includes fitting to a loose wheel and balancing (I think they charge £7 for ride in ride out). They charged me £89 for a 180/55 Pirelli Dragon Evo Corsa. Use their quote as ammo against your guy.

nik_the_brief
01-04-2004, 03:34 PM
Thanks Paul that's exactly the kind of information I was looking for. Much appreciated.

Zimbo
01-04-2004, 05:51 PM
http://www.bfmmotorcycles.co.uk/

Rear tyre 160/60/17 D207 £75 inc Vat, plus £6 carriage,
=£81 delivered.

You can take your bike away, sort it out, and as long as you take it back for the re'test within 7 days there's no extra fee to pay.

JR
01-04-2004, 06:28 PM
Same Tyre - Protyre Bristol
Tyre £67.60
Valve£1.00
Wheel Balance £3.02
While U wait Fitting £10.08
Total £81.70 + £14.30 VAT = £96.00

JR

nik_the_brief
01-04-2004, 06:33 PM
Cheers Guys - keep it going, it's appreciated.

When I confronted the guy today he told me that he can't buy them that cheap. I showed him a few internet quotes and his eyebrows raised. Told me he had to buy them as pairs ... yadda yadda ... said he'd be able to give me a better figure on Tuesday!

Trouble is, he's a nice guy and does the job (unless it's 'Ducati technical' then it's ... "Sorry mate etc.)

CK & AK
01-04-2004, 10:12 PM
Nik - not too far off in price for the aggro - if you can get a better deal off matey, so much so. Some bike shops will charge up to £20 for changing tyre & all involved when coming off the bike.

Its the tyre dealers that are cheaper, as they do this all day long.

Saves time & money chasing round the countryside, or waiting for the postie.

Next time, could order 1 (or both) before they go 'off'?

Alan
:)

Pedro
01-04-2004, 10:49 PM
Nik

Busters mail order, D207, £135 the pair. Fitted by Protyre in Fareham for about £12 for loose wheels. BTW Protyre is part of Micheldever Tyres

Ped

Albie
01-04-2004, 11:39 PM
Hi nik paid 97.fitted to rim balanced 207 from sidcup mc tyres advised by gary t. You only get good deals if you need two tyres and there the right size but generally superbike sizes

Duncan
02-04-2004, 09:23 AM
JR

I get all mine fitted by Protyre Bristol. Nick who fits them has been riding bikes for 30 years and is well known round Chipping Sodbury due to his involvement in the United bikers.

Very highly recommended he even cleans the dust out of the drillings in my brake discs.

Zimbo
02-04-2004, 09:37 AM
So does everyone in the west country use Protyre then?
Protyre Gloucester do all my tyres, BT010 £80 front £105 rear fitted to loose wheels, haven't found anyone local to beat that yet ...

gary tompkins
02-04-2004, 12:15 PM
Albie said.....Hi nik paid 97.fitted to rim balanced 207 from sidcup mc tyres advised by gary t.

Yep Steve at S.M.T. is a top bloke. Got his details on recommendation from another mate who also got top service. Steve's prices fitted to the bike (ride in - ride out) are often better than others quote for loose wheels. Plus he'll treat your bike with a lot of TLC, unlike some of the cowboys setups who are happy to let some spotty faced F**kwit loose on your pride and joy with a hammer and a set of molegrips :rolleyes:

As a rider & short circuit racer Steve also knows his rubber, and will always give sound advice on which combination of tyres works best on particular bikes - depending on your budget & riding style.

If your local to Sidcup give him a call on 0208 300 8668, but you'll need to book in advance for weekends as he's always his busy on Saturdays.

nik_the_brief
02-04-2004, 08:56 PM
Cheers guys, I'm most grateful for all the advice.

Off to the bike shop on Monday armed with the best advice t'internet has to offer on the subject.

Will haggle a couple of quid off but as you quite rightly say AK tis worth it for the saved aggro.