PDA

View Full Version : Neutral light in the rain

YourOldNemesis
01-04-2004, 08:29 AM
First journey of a decent length in rain, it wasn't pouring or anything, it was totally dry when I started and was drizzling by the time I got to the end. As the journey got wetter I noticed that the neutral light got brighter and brighter. Clearly this is one of those Italian electrics problems, but before I go rummaging around to try and find the fault I wondered if anyone else had experienced this problem.

I've got a sidestand bypass switch fitted, but I don't think this is causing the problem as unplugging the neutral cable from the back of the engine block doesn't make any difference to the light, neither does unplugging the sidestand part of the bypass loom, so I think the problem is closer to the fusebox & clocks. Anyone know where I should start prodding the multitester?

Forgot to say - 2002 M620ie
Thanks

YON

Jay
01-04-2004, 08:44 AM
Was the light on while you were riding (in gear) or just when you were, erm, in neutral?

When you rev the engine does the light get brighter, or has it stabilised now?

YourOldNemesis
01-04-2004, 09:27 AM
Neutral light on but dim when in gear, brighter when actually in neutral.

Seemed to get worse with time so that by the end of my journey there was not much difference between the dim(you are in gear) and bright(you are in neutral)! I didn't notice any difference in brightness related to engine speed.

I'm sure it's related to the rain, I just don't know what I need to waterproof. My first choice is having a rummage around in the fuse-box I think. But this will have to wait until I get home (50 mile commute). So long as the only thing this problem affects is the neutral light, I don't mind too much...

Severen
01-04-2004, 09:42 AM
I've been riding (almost) every day come rain, shine or snow and my (3 month old) S4R does exactly the same. My old 600 used to do it, too.
I'm not too worried about it, as long as the bike runs I'm happy. :)

YourOldNemesis
01-04-2004, 09:50 AM
Fairy nuff, I didn't figure it was a showstopper, so it's nice to be reassured.

The oil light used to do it too, until I got the water out of the bottom of the clocks.

I'm also glad that there's someone else out there who actually rides in the rain and doesn't stay in polishing and cleaning!

grunter
01-04-2004, 01:58 PM
on back of engine (back left) check connections or switch could be shagged only about 20 quid for a newun?????

Mand
02-04-2004, 03:57 PM
I've had the same problem, the strange thing is that it only ever does it when I am riding home from work! How weird is that?

:confused:

grunter
02-04-2004, 04:23 PM
your house from work?