PDA

View Full Version : nice shiney bolts

kevin5952
31-03-2004, 05:14 PM
i would like to replace my crappy rusty screws/bolts etc on my bike for nice new ones,could someone tell me how much they are likely to cost,and do the required sizes come in the pack.

manc skank
31-03-2004, 06:07 PM
i have rusty nuts on my heads..... errr.....

would like to replace... second kevin's Q!

Pedro
31-03-2004, 06:16 PM
Kev

don't buy from Pro Bolts or similar, they're chuffing expensive. I've just done the whole bike in A4 Stainless for about £30 ish. Got them from my local fastener company.

If anyones interested, I have a list.........might be able to get some sets etc.....

Ped

manc skank
31-03-2004, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by Pedro
Kev

don't buy from Pro Bolts or similar, they're chuffing expensive. I've just done the whole bike in A4 Stainless for about £30 ish. Got them from my local fastener company.

If anyones interested, I have a list.........might be able to get some sets etc.....

Ped

yebo yes! alot of mine are corroded! :eek:

kevin5952
31-03-2004, 07:38 PM
Pedro,if you could let me have a list that would be great,does it make a lot of difference to the bikes appearance?

Pedro
31-03-2004, 10:21 PM
The bolts look much better - I polished each one in a drill as well.

The list is for an early 900 which may be a little different to the 600/750s etc.

PM me your email address and I'll mail it over. Anyone else interested? Let me know

Ped

Pedro
07-04-2004, 11:40 PM
Next thing on the stainless list is Footrest Hanger bolts.

I've got them draw up and gonna see about getting a set made. I've no idea about the cost yet but it would probably be cheaper the more I get made. Anyone interested?

Ped

snakey
08-04-2004, 08:35 AM
on the subject of stainless - I have just put the chain adjuster plates from spareshack on, good deal and arrived the next day, and they don't bend when torquing up the rear spindle :D

As to using stainless nuts & bolts, on the bonnie that was knicked
I had just done a complete rebuild with stainless, frame and cycle parts were ok but problems using them on the motor, apparently to be able to turn threads on stainless it has to fairly soft, which means it can stretch when torquing down, as i found out on the bonnie - ok on caseings etc but not for base & head bolts, and i had just bought a set of 'normal' head bolts to change them over when i had time but the bike was stolen before I had chance.

Pete.

steviej
08-04-2004, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by snakey
on the subject of stainless - I have just put the chain adjuster plates from spareshack on, good deal and arrived the next day, and they don't bend when torquing up the rear spindle :D

As to using stainless nuts & bolts, on the bonnie that was knicked
I had just done a complete rebuild with stainless, frame and cycle parts were ok but problems using them on the motor, apparently to be able to turn threads on stainless it has to fairly soft, which means it can stretch when torquing down, as i found out on the bonnie - ok on caseings etc but not for base & head bolts, and i had just bought a set of 'normal' head bolts to change them over when i had time but the bike was stolen before I had chance.

Pete.

Yep, bog standard ss bolts/set screws/cap heads have a low tensile strength. DON'T USE FOR HEAD/BASE SET UPS. But they're fine on casings, as the screws don't suffer high tensional loadings.