PDA

View Full Version : Breakfast- July 9th

Mr Gazza
28-06-2023, 05:52 PM
Ever trying to be different, I think I've succeeded this time.

How about having a look at the Bee eaters that have taken up residence at Gimmingham?
You can find the location by typing "RSPB Bee Eater Viewpoint" into Google Earth.
Dacs and I are planning to meet there at about 7am on the 9th July and see if we can do our spotting before the hoards arrive and just spoil it!
They are charging £5 a head to park in a field and view at some distance. I'll tell you now I think it's a bit of a racket and has been turned into nothing more than a tourist attraction, but I want to see them as it's been an ambition since I was 5 and couldn't believe there was such a bird that came to the UK. They were on the same page in my bird book as the Roller and Hoopoe as I recall.

I'll be booking a table for breakfast at the Café Carmel at Bacton just a few miles down the coast.

So meet us there at 10am, if you don't fancy the early start.

DaveR
28-06-2023, 08:43 PM
Bee eaters, just what I needed when I was attacked by a swarm of bees when I was in the Isle of Man.
I'll not be meeting you however, as I've refund my interest in watching bikes going fast in circles and will be going to Snetterton that Sunday for the BSB.
See you Saturday
Dave

Mr Gazza
08-07-2023, 08:49 AM
Slight change of plan for tomorrow.
We'll be at Gimmingham a little after 7am, but not much. So if you do make the effort, we will be along.
Breakfast has been moved about a mile down the road to The Kingfisher Café at Walcott.
Café Carmel doesn't open till 10.30, so we'll be at The Kingfisher for an early breakfast about 9am.

Mr Gazza
09-07-2023, 11:15 AM
Glorious morning and a great ride down the 1145 to Gimingham.
It's lovely having the road all to myself.
The Bee Eaters posed well and a fantastic flash of colour when they perform aerobatics.
Very agile and psychedelic glinting in the sunlight.
Lots of other local birds flitting about too. Had a Dunnock nearly perched on my foot and was surrounded by a flock of Goldfinches at close quarters ( A harmony charm I think?).
A great many little brown jobs not showing themselves properly, mostly warblers but not revealing their credentials!

I called in at the Kingfisher Café for a Latte at 9.
An old mate of mine commented that the bike didn't make much noise, and I said Nah! All that noise and smoke is for people with little cocks. I could feel and almost hear the snarls of the Harley riders over my giggles.
I downed the Latte and left before I needed any dentistry.. :chuckle:

Sorry if anyone made the effort and turned up later.

I got about 6 or 7 drops of rain on my visor on my way to see Dacs and enjoyed a lovely piece of cake and banter, he couldn't make the meet due to a very bad back and family commitments.

So a solo flight for me this morning, but very enjoyable non-the-less.