PDA

View Full Version : Huntingdon

Nasher
08-06-2023, 08:12 AM
It’s a tedious story, but next Friday the 16th June I’m going to find myself at a loose end in Huntingdon for a few hours, by myself with nothing to do.

I will have transport, but have to be at the racecourse until 09.00hrs, and back there promptly at 12.00hrs.

Can anyone local recommend anywhere really interesting to visit within that 3hr slot?

I have the option of driving to Cambridge and having my usual Friday morning at the gym, it’s one of the advantages of being a member of a national chain, but it would seem a shame not to visit somewhere of local interest whilst I have the chance.

Dukedesmo
08-06-2023, 08:19 AM
Imperial War Museum Duxford is not far away, if you're interested in aviation stuff.

Mr Gazza
08-06-2023, 08:48 AM
Good call, but no way you'd even scratch the surface of Duxford in that time.

I have no idea of places of interest in that area except for the restoration of RAF Wyton for the Red Arrows to use as their new base. (Interest to me only probably!)
I'd be happy to meet you and do whatever turns up, if I can get the Monster back together in time! Otherwise I'll just have to learn how to use a public charger. :scratch:

Nasher
08-06-2023, 11:42 AM
Thanks Guys

How far away are you Mr G?
I do only have that 3hrs to be away from the racecourse.

Mr Gazza
08-06-2023, 12:39 PM
I'm about 75-90 miles from Huntingdon depending on the route. You'd be hard pushed to even swallow a coffee if you attempted to get to mine.
I'm sure we can find somewhere to meet and have natter. I've been looking forward to meeting you for a long time. :biggrin:

I'll ask Grumpy if he knows of a good place. He's on a sabbatical in the Orkneys right now, but I'll see him on Sunday.

Nasher
08-06-2023, 02:09 PM
Cheers Mr G, Sounds like a great plan, I'll be in touch early next week.

Grumpy
08-06-2023, 10:08 PM
I'm due back from the Orkneys on Saturday.
I've check my work schedule for the 16th, can meet up about 10ish for a cuppa.
There's several cafes who serve decent coffee.
The Piano in Godmanchester would be one of the better places to meet.

As a foot note.The most interesting place in Huntingdon would be the museum in the centre of town, which commemorates Oliver Cromwell, who lived locally.

Grumpy
08-06-2023, 10:13 PM
Good call, but no way you'd even scratch the surface of Duxford in that time.

I have no idea of places of interest in that area except for the restoration of RAF Wyton for the Red Arrows to use as their new base. (Interest to me only probably!)
I'd be happy to meet you and do whatever turns up, if I can get the Monster back together in time! Otherwise I'll just have to learn how to use a public charger. :scratch:

Agreed 're Duxford. You really should allow a day to stand a chance of seeing the displays.

That's interesting news about the Red Arrows. I drive past Wyton on on a regular basis. Would make a change from the giant car storage part of the base has become.

Mr Gazza
16-06-2023, 05:41 PM
Having been internet pen pals and club mates with Nasher for a few years, It was smashing to finally meet up and share coffee, pasties and cake.
Nasher had found a fabulous place to meet at Houghton Mill, just outside Huntingdon.
Quite a beautiful and fascinating place, well worth a visit if you're within striking distance.
We found common interest in the workings of the mill on our guided tour.
I particularly liked the massive bevel gears which took the drive from the waterwheel into the mill. The adjustment mechanisms were quite rugged and chunky, but equally as critical as those on a bevel twin, with somewhat more horsepower going through them. I shudder to think what that would be on a good day driving up to 10 large mill stones and various shakers, hoists and even dust extraction, although that was not for health and safety in those days but to re-cycle as much flour as possible.

Hey thanks for a smashing day out Nasher, and really good to finally meet up.. :thumbsup:

Nasher
16-06-2023, 07:58 PM
Yep great to finally meet you too Mr G.

Two old gits bothering the poor tour guide lady.
Glad you enjoyed the mill as mush as I did.

Don't know where the morning went.
Busy journey home traffic wise, but got here in the end.

Envious of your ride home, must have been bliss.
I assume you found somewhere to top up with excited electrons.

Thanks mate.

Grumpy
16-06-2023, 09:37 PM
Well, my day went to pot, so couldn't make meeting up.
Glad you two had fun at 'tut mill:biggrin:
Let's us know if you up this way again nasher.

Moco1961
17-06-2023, 07:58 AM
Glad you are up and about Nash, not too battered and bruised from the “off” .:thumbsup: