PDA

View Full Version : Pulling away

Stevie Kenevie
31-03-2004, 10:12 AM
Hi,

Anybody got tips on how to stop the clutch snatching whilst trying to pull away slowly?

Since having the pipes and ECU changed on the S4 it's diffucult not to catapult yourself at warp speed when pulling away :) :)

I'm having to leave the 'choke' on a tad to get the revs up to 1500 to get a smoother launch.

Cheers,

Steve.

PaulS
31-03-2004, 04:25 PM
Was the fuel injection system tweeked when you had the pipes and ECU changed? I assume you're talking about Termis and the DP ECU to go with them and the open airbox? I have this set up on my bike, and whilst the low speed running is not very smooth (apparently this is normal?), it's nowhere near as bad as yours sounds. Other than that I found going up to a 39t rear sprocket makes things easier around town and needs less clutch slipping.

automa
31-03-2004, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by Stevie Kenevie
Hi,

Anybody got tips on how to stop the clutch snatching whilst trying to pull away slowly?

Mine is the same I put it down to 916 engine, my mates 916 is the same :burnout:

As my mate said to me"deal with it" its a Ducati.

John;)

Runningman
31-03-2004, 04:50 PM
I have excactly the same problem too on my S4; I thought it was me!
The problem seems to ease as the bike (or me) warms up, but some days I have to let the clutch out by degrees to avoid stalling.
Most of my riding is commuting, so I would be interested to hear any technical mods that might make for a smoother ride.
Cheers!

PaulS
31-03-2004, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by Runningman

Most of my riding is commuting, so I would be interested to hear any technical mods that might make for a smoother ride.
Cheers!

See my earlier suggestion of a 39t rear sprocket!

Pedro
31-03-2004, 05:21 PM
Is the clutch basket in good nick - the plates may not be freeing off properly or may even be warped.

Failing that, slip it more

Ped

Runningman
01-04-2004, 04:41 PM
Thanks fella's, I am due a chain & sprocket change; as I am Mr non-technical I'll get someone to check the plates while their at it.

PaulS; where abouts in Harpenden are you? I shall shortly be moving into Cravells Rd, nr East Common.

psychlist
01-04-2004, 04:43 PM
Fit a one-tooth smaller front sprocket or a two-tooth larger rear sprocket.

Stevie Kenevie
04-04-2004, 07:51 AM
Hi all,

Thanks for all the advice, I tried to be a bit smoother over the weekend but I was still geting a lot of judder if I tried to slip the clutch.

Yep, the bike does have Termis and a DP ECU and I recently replaced the chain and both sprockets.

I'm currently touching 11,000 miles so the 12,000 mile service is due soon. 'll get them to check out the clutch then - might be just the excuse I need for a slipper clutch :)

Cheers,

Steve.

crust
05-04-2004, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by Stevie Kenevie
Hi,

Since having the pipes and ECU changed on the S4 it's diffucult not to catapult yourself at warp speed when pulling away :) :)

I'm having to leave the 'choke' on a tad to get the revs up to 1500 to get a smoother launch.

Cheers,

Steve.

1500 revs pulling away :eek:

there's your problem, Ducatis are not Harleys.

They have relatively small flywheels and need revs to be smooth, if you're gonna use very low revs then you've got to slip the clutch lots.

Low revs and lugging them will eventually knacker the engine.

:) Crust

A Yerbury
05-04-2004, 07:31 PM
get yerself a nichols flywheel...whoopee!

Stevie Kenevie
06-04-2004, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by crust
1500 revs pulling away :eek:

there's your problem, Ducatis are not Harleys.

They have relatively small flywheels and need revs to be smooth, if you're gonna use very low revs then you've got to slip the clutch lots.

Low revs and lugging them will eventually knacker the engine.

:) Crust

Hmmmm...

If I pull away with high revs then surely I'll have to slip the clutch more - or be launched at such a pace that I'll end up hitting something :)

I'm only talking about pulling away slowly from town centre traffic lights etc...

A Yerbury
06-04-2004, 12:47 PM
try the sprocket option, 1 down on front...oops no scratch that youll shoot off even quicker! 1 more on the back is I think what may help, what that does to the top I dunno tho.
My 600 has one less on the front as the "problem" was the inverse of yours, juddery when trying to pull smoothly.
al.

A Yerbury
06-04-2004, 12:49 PM
sorry, paul already posted that but hey, democracy in action!

Duncan
06-04-2004, 01:16 PM
Steve

The service doesnt specifically deal with the clutch and in my experience its worth removing the cover and plates, cleaning the lot off in clutch cleaner, checking the basket for burrs, measuring plate thickness and flatness etc and reassembling.

If you dont keep the dry clutch clean then the dust tends to build between the friction pads on the clutch plates then roll itself through between the plates causing a graunchy nasty action. It could also be that other contamination has got on the plates causing them to swell and cleaning will remove this too.

A warped plate will do similar as will knackered springs and burred housings. The clutch and bottom ends not disimilar to any 900 / 916 / 1000 /996 etc and they can be silky smooth but need care and attention.

kaysee
06-04-2004, 01:16 PM
Stevie,
A slipper clutch wont help.

Thet are designed to stop the rear wheel locking up when you change down a gear from too higher speed.:rolleyes:

As has been mentioned before, check the plates and basket for wear. make sure the springs are adjusted correctly too.

McMONSTRO
06-04-2004, 01:22 PM
Just put a 39T rear sprocket on my S4, seems to help! Cost about £22 from Talon and took about 1hr to fit, goes on with the standard chain too!

McMonstro

John Munn
06-04-2004, 05:22 PM
One down on the front and two at the rear works well

pimlico
11-04-2004, 10:40 AM
The 1500 rpm does seem low, there is a knack of riding the clutch on a s4 when u are in built up traffic

The other more expensive problem is that the clutch plates are worn, if the cluth is getting worse this will be the problem and new plates will be required.