PDA

View Full Version : Is your licence up to date?

Mr Gazza
28-10-2022, 09:42 AM
There's been a lot on the internet lately and probably on the news.
Apparently, there are something like a million drivers (and riders) using the roads with an expired photo driving licence.
DVLA claim that they send out reminders, but this doesn't always happen and if you've moved and not informed them, then it's not going to get to you.

I urge you to check the expiry date on your photo licence, this is item 4b on the front.
I got the shock of my life when I checked mine and found it expired last April!!

Using the road with an expired licence will land you a £1000 fine and points. It also renders your insurance void, although some companies will still cover apparently.

Good news is that renewing it online is easy and only £14. I got my new one this morning and no £1000 fine (yet).

Also check when you get your new licence that all the groups that you are qualified to drive/ride are still listed on the back. They are prone to missing them off sometimes and then insist that you take the relevant test to regain the qualification. Fancy taking a motorcycle test?

Please don't wait till you get pulled over or have an accident.

Dukedesmo
28-10-2022, 09:53 AM
Fortunately, having not moved house/changed circumstances etc. for many years, I've still got the old (scrappy) A4 sheet of paper licence that saves all this bother as it's valid until I'm 70.

Though that's not as far away as I'd like... :(

Luddite
28-10-2022, 10:37 AM
I've had sleepless nights worrying about this too, Mr G :on: So, before returning your licence to DVLA, I'd recommend checking with them first that your motorcycle entitlement is still on their records. This from http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=58496

I'd also heard horror stories about losing the motorcycle entitlement when renewing a licence. As I still have an ancient paper licence, (which is beginning to resemble the Dead Sea Scrolls!), I was worried that, when it eventually needs replacing, I'd lose my entitlement.

So I emailed DVLA with my concerns and received this reply:

"Thank you for your enquiry received on 2/4/2019.
Your case reference number is 01382086.

We appreciate that you have taken the time to contact us in relation to this matter.

On checking your record I can confirm we hold that you passed your Category A (Motorcycle) test on 20/08/1980.*

Therefore if you exchanged your paper licence for a photocard licence this entitlement remain on your record.

We do not retain the old paper licence as we hold digital records. You may wish to keep a copy of your current licence yourself.

I can confirm that old style paper driving licences are still valid and there is no requirement for this to be exchanged for a photocard style licence."

So, if you've got to send your licence back for any reason, I'd suggest you first contact DVLA for confirmation that your details are correct. Save their reply and then you've got something tangible if there's anything wrong with your new licence. https://live.email-dvla.service.gov.uk/w2c/en_gb/decisions/Drivers%20Enquiries

s4rmark
28-10-2022, 08:23 PM
I still have an original paper licence and apparently it’s stil valid.