PDA

View Full Version : Front paddock stands.

Brian.
26-10-2022, 03:50 PM
Hi all,

I think I shall end up needing a front paddock stand for my M750. I've never had one before.

I would appreciate opinions on the different types that are available please.

There seem to be three different types:-
The ones that have two little horizontal pegs on each side that go under the end each fork leg; (these look very precarious to me!)
The ones with one vertical peg that goes up into the bottom of the bottom yoke;
And the ones with two vertical pegs that fit, one each into the hole in the bottom of each fork leg.

Also - sorry if this appears to be a daft question but I'm used to bikes with a centre stand - can the bike be put on any of the above front stands without being on the rear stand first?

All opinions gratefully received!

Thank you, Brian.

Dave G
26-10-2022, 03:56 PM
No

If you put a bike on a front stand it will fall over, a rear paddock stand or centre stand is needed.

I have a front stand with a central yoke pin, they allow you to remove the front wheel and forks should you need to.
The cups under the forks work fine, if you loosen the pinch bolts and spindle beforehand you can still remove the front wheel if you need to.

motomartin11
26-10-2022, 06:54 PM
I posted a similar thread on here about 12 months ago and someone recommended the type with the central yoke type pin which I bought and found to be fine but yes you do need the rear paddock stand before you can lift the front as well.

Going to search for the thread and will post a link if I find it or I'll look out the supplier of mine and let you know.

I was easily able to drop out the front wheel and forks using mine.

motomartin11
26-10-2022, 06:58 PM
Here is the link-if it works....

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=59518&highlight=front+paddock+stand

Brian.
26-10-2022, 07:04 PM
Thank you Martin, I'll have a look at that.

Apologies for not thinking of doing a search!

Brian.

motomartin11
26-10-2022, 07:20 PM
Sometimes a search will throw up what you want-sometimes not but it's always worth giving it a go.

Brian.
26-10-2022, 07:27 PM
I've had a look through that thread, the single pin into the bottom yoke looks quite secure. Abba stands are mentioned in the thread, I might look into that too, it's not something I'd thought of before.

Oh for a centre stand......

motomartin11
26-10-2022, 07:34 PM
No I've never bothered with a front paddock stand-a lot of my bikes have had a centre stand-but I soon realised I would need one to secure the bike when working on the front end. This one does have several sizes of pin so could be used on other models and seems pretty secure and is easy to lift up the bike and store when not in use.

Nickj
26-10-2022, 07:57 PM
I used to use one of the stands which fitted at the base of the fork legs, it never felt that secure but nothing ever fell over.
I got one of the types that sticks a pin up into the head stem, feels and looks much more stable, and I got a few oversize pins spun down to fit other bikes I have.

Still got the old ones at the side of the shed, they were used on my 750's. Shame you aren't a bit closer though we might be up your way in a few weeks.