PDA

View Full Version : spark plug wrench

stef
29-03-2004, 10:33 AM
I tried the spark plug socket wrench provided with the tool kit on my 95 m600.. doesn't fit ! it's too small !
is this normal ?
I have had the bike for 1 week.. so i dont knwo anything of its past history.. are aftermarket spark plugs of a different size than the original ones ?
cheers

nik_the_brief
29-03-2004, 10:46 AM
I'm sure that the size remains the same for aftermarket plugs - perhaps it's not the original plug spanner.

Jay
29-03-2004, 11:05 AM
The NGK plugs that I have are also bigger, which includes the ones the chaps who service my bike use as well as my 'good' self. I've got a 19mm socket which works fine, probably good to get yourself a torque wrench if you're gonna do a lot of unscrewing of bits. Over-tightening the spark-plugs could be an expensive distaster. But if you don't have one, just um, be gentle?

superlight3
29-03-2004, 11:44 AM
A common problem.. :confused:

The OE Champion spark plugs are indeed a different size to the more common NGK aftermarket fitment.

At one time Ducati used to supply new bikes with the standard (Champion) toolkit but fitted NGK plugs as OE!! :eek:

Only caused a few problems...

Cheers.

Lee.

Jay
29-03-2004, 12:02 PM
Italians ay, who'd av' em!?

Albie
29-03-2004, 05:01 PM
I had to get one from a kawasaki dealer to fit ngk. they are different

snakey
29-03-2004, 05:40 PM
Just bought some Ducati plugs from riders - Ducati on the boxes - small Champion plugs inside, It looks as if the best idea is to get hold of both plug spanner sizes just in case.