PDA

View Full Version : 600 carb monster very high tickover when hot

m600jim
15-03-2022, 07:00 AM
My 1997 600 monster runs nicely but after an hour or so once it's nice and hot the tickover seems very high (much higher than when cold, I'm guessing about 2000 rpm). If I drag the clutch slightly using no throttle when at a standstill the tickover drops due to the load on the engine but then got back up again - so I think it's probably not sticking carb sliders. Any other hints on where to start looking.
Does not seem to be affected by handlebar position so I don't think it's a cable problem...

I doubt the carb has been cleaned since it was new so may be blocked jets etc but I'm hoping for something simple!

Thanks for any suggestions!

Cheers

James

Nasher
15-03-2022, 07:44 AM
I'd be making sure the cables are adjusted properly first to ensure the throttles are shutting fully.
Is there any slack at the twist grip?

It could also just be a tweek of the idle adjustment screws needed under the carbs.

Doggy
22-03-2022, 09:11 PM
My 600ss has a higher tickover when hot, about 1500/1600 compared to cold . Although 20000 does seem a bit excessive . Not been an issue for me really over the last couple of years . I'd rather it was slightly too high than too low . My superlight's tickover seems too low and always feels like it's going to stall when i pull up .