PDA

View Full Version : Painting Clutch case and metal bits? how do I do it

Julie
28-03-2004, 11:54 AM
Ruths bike has just had a major service so its all lovely on the inside. The only part of the bike that now looks messy is the clutch case thing on both sides. I've tried so hard to polish it but the battery acid that once splashed on it had buggered it up. So I'd like to paint it. The other side has been sprayed and looks good.

My Question is ... Is it possable to do it I'LL BE CAREFULL.
And which paint should I use?

I cant afford to spend much money so I want it to look presentable for little cost.

Thanks for your help.
Julie

Kev Bunney
28-03-2004, 04:05 PM
Hi ya, there used to be a paint called Sperex, or something like that, it was for exhausts so should cope with the heat, maybe even Hammerite would do the job.

gary tompkins
28-03-2004, 04:58 PM
Julie,

I've used PJ1 High temperature engine spray paint in both satin black and silver finish, and both worked really well. Try the local bike shops in your area - your sure to find someone who stocks it.

The key to getting good results will be in your preparation. Make sure you give the casing a good clean to get rid of any dirt & grease. Remove any flaky paint and if possible rub down the existing paint a little with wet 'n' dry to give a key.

Basically if the casing looks dog rough prior to painting, it won't look much better when the new finish is applied.

It would be easier to do all this with the casing off the engine, but can be done in situ if you mask off the surrounding carefully. Spraying would be best be done on a warm day in a dry, well ventilated garage, with thin coats applied over a period of several hours.

I think the instructions with the PJ1 told you to run up the motor for a short time to help the curing process on the VHT paint, and this may help other brands to take better too. ;)

Julie
28-03-2004, 07:06 PM
Thanks both

I have been to halford and bought some 'Very High Temp Engine spray' Silver in colour. The engine is de-greased and all masked off....all ready to go.

It looks to me like the side with the cambelt covers on has at one time been sprayed with the same stuff.

i went for spray in the end and masking tape.

I will let you know of my progress

Julie

spacemonkey
28-03-2004, 08:40 PM
What of the colour match? If you are spraying bare ally you should use an etching primer for best results. I don't know what your spraying experiences are, but don't worry too much if you get a run- wait for it to dry and harden then rub it down with 1200 wet'n'dry then respray.

A Yerbury
28-03-2004, 08:59 PM
dont spray too close otherwise drips will form and it wont dry evenly, spray too far away and the paint dries before it hits resulting in a dandruff effect-not nice!
enjoy!
Im doing the same but waiting for warmer weather when the lump can be cleaned.....hoses renewed...frame sprayed....rearsets sprayed....braided lines fitted......sigh! watch out for an ozone hole above malvern in the upcoming months!
Lexy.x

Paranoid Dave
28-03-2004, 09:25 PM
look forward to seeing results. Post a pic when ya done girls :D

Julie
29-03-2004, 07:11 PM
Ok Boys and Girls

I have masked off the areas, i've rubbed it down with wet and dry paper and I then wipped it with thinners. I warmed the spray up (room temp) and also had the bike running for a while till the metal was warm....Then I sprayed...waited.....sprayed......waited......spra yed....phoned my dad......sprayed.....then after about 30 mins I took off the masking tape and warmed the bike up again. Let it running for about 30 mins . It LOOKS great, but I'm worried it wont dry.

I'll leave the metal to go cold now over night and check it in the morning......Do you all think that is ok?

Julie
29-03-2004, 07:20 PM
PS. The instrucation on the can said dont use primer.

A Yerbury
29-03-2004, 09:00 PM
patience young jedi 24 hours is 24 hours....in any universe.....these are not the droids you are looking for etc

gary tompkins
29-03-2004, 09:04 PM
Julie,

Should be ok - but see what it looks like in the morning. Make sure the bikes undercover if possible tonight, and go easy on the paint for a while when cleaning the engine - it may lake a few days to cure off properly.

Julie
30-03-2004, 06:19 AM
Thanks Gary

I'll let you know

Paranoid Dave
30-03-2004, 05:23 PM
How's it looking? Any pics yet. we're all dying to see.

Julie
31-03-2004, 05:12 PM
This is the spray job

Julie
31-03-2004, 05:13 PM

Julie
31-03-2004, 05:14 PM
I did the frame as well with Halfords spray

PaulS
31-03-2004, 05:18 PM
Looks like you've done a good job to me.

Paranoid Dave
31-03-2004, 05:26 PM
Bloody good job indeed. :D

how much of the frame did you spray?

Julie
31-03-2004, 05:30 PM
Thank you

I sprayed all of the left side. I picked ROVER CASHMERE GOLD metallic spray. It was the best colour match I could find.
Under that I used No1 Rust Beater.

J
xx

A Yerbury
31-03-2004, 07:42 PM
well done little lady! -pats head- seriously, that looks really good well done! Im doing similar soon -sigh- just got to get all the crap of first. that rover golds a nice match too. hope it all cures well. did it need lacquering?
Alex
ps chuck the plastic sprocket cover!

Mand
31-03-2004, 07:42 PM
Very nice! I'd give up the day job chuck.....:)

Kev Bunney
31-03-2004, 07:50 PM
Julie that`s **** hot ! you are brilliant WELL DONE !!!!

Jason
31-03-2004, 08:00 PM
Well done my girl, great job - I'm inspired!

Did you take off the cases & strip loads off the frame? If not how did you do such a great job!?

I'd like to spray the black frame on my Dark that lovely gold to give a contrast but I'm loathed to strip the bike too much now the weather's getting warmer - I just want to ride:-)

thesaxman
31-03-2004, 08:18 PM
excellent job julie, now when can you paint my house??

http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/otn/wink/thumb.gif

gary tompkins
31-03-2004, 08:53 PM
Julie,

Top marks - I bet Ruth is chuffed to bits with that :cool:

Paranoid Dave
31-03-2004, 09:30 PM
How much of the frame did you paint. Was it the main sides or did you do the lot, grap rails and all etc? Must have been a bugger to mask the rest off.

Can't wait to see it in the flesh.

Julie
01-04-2004, 11:16 AM
Thank you all for your comments and help.

The photos make the spray job look better than it is.

I masked off most of the left side, but cause I was spraying gold over gold It didnt matter to much if it missed abit. I used wet and Dry to sand the frame down to give it a key.

If I was to change the colour of the frame I think it would all need stripping so all areas got sprrayed. its so easy to miss bits.

dont expect it to look like a new bike when you see it. it still looks ten years old.

thanks for all your help and advice.

M900Dom
01-04-2004, 04:19 PM
That looks really good;)
Nice result

Sorry My PM box was Full, I`ve emptied it out now

Cheers
Dom

Julie
02-04-2004, 07:07 PM
Jon

Take a look at your old bike