PDA

View Full Version : idle speed check.

stef
28-03-2004, 09:22 AM
Does anybody know of a good way to check the idle speed on a 95 m600 ?
I am thinking of using the frequency counter of a handheld multimeter on the ignition coil. in theory, it should work.. has anyone tried this ?
cheers.

spacemonkey
28-03-2004, 09:16 PM
Don't forget it's a 4 stroke..

stef
28-03-2004, 09:43 PM
right, so it's still one spark (on 1 cylindre) per 2 rev, so i should normally get 10Hz per plug, (1200rpm/60) or 20Hz on the distributor.. i'll have to check though.
someone correct me if i got mixed up.

steviej
28-03-2004, 11:18 PM
You tell 'em Stef. Yer bang on.

Is there a prob with the idle.................

stef
29-03-2004, 08:29 AM
dunno yet,
the bike has a tendency to stall when not warmed up.. could be just normal, but could also be low idle speed. worth a check anyway.

Didge
29-03-2004, 12:38 PM
My M900 will stall if not warmed up for long enough, and my carbs are set 100% at the mo'. If it idles fine when it's warm it's ok.
I start a cold engine on full choke (no throttle), and after a few seconds, slowly ease the choke to about halfway. After about 20 seconds or so, slowly ease the choke right off, while at the same time compensating the revs with the throttle. I hold it at about 2,000 rpm for a minute or so, then set off. After a couple of miles, she idles fine. In cold weather of course, this takes a bit longer. But every bike, even of the same model, has it's own little quirks, and a slight modification of the above warm up proceedure may be required to adjust to your own bikes temprament.

gary tompkins
29-03-2004, 01:10 PM
Stef,

The fact that a bike ticks over badly could hint that other things may mean looking at besides just the idle speed. As Didge states carbed bikes are always a PITA until properly warmed up, my own M600 was a git from cold but smoothed out after a few miles, except of course in winter when the dreaded carb icing came into play:rolleyes:

You mention elsewhere on the forum that your new to monsters and have only had the bike a few weeks, so unless you have some history an engine service could be on the cards. Bear in mind that things like belts need to be swapped at 12000 mile or 2 years - a snapped cambelt would trash the motor.

Make sure other aspects of the engine tune are set up properly, or in good condition. Thing like plugs, carb balence, valve shims and compression can have a drastic effect on the way a monster runs.

Just tweaking the idle speed may mask problems elsewhere. ;)

stef
29-03-2004, 01:23 PM
yes, i agree with all this,
I just thought a quick check of the idle speed once the bike is warm could tell me if at least it is set correctly.
i mean, unless it's way off, i wouldnt touch it.
The original post is only about ways to check the idle speed without a tacho. i have a multimeter that checks frequency, i thought of using that on the coil.
I have only had the chance to ride the bike a few times, so everything might well be perfect, just that i am not used to the monster or any carbed bike.

Didge
29-03-2004, 10:30 PM
Wait until you next meet up with a few fellow members, and compare your bikes idle to theirs, or ask for opinions. That's the sort of thing I do if I'm not too sure about something, before I start to fiddle with the bike.

stef
30-03-2004, 08:16 AM
ok, anyone around Leeds to compare my m600 ?