PDA

View Full Version : Frame Sliders - Yes or No

Jam911
04-01-2022, 05:31 PM
I am looking for opinions on frame sliders please.
Particularly the R & G teardrop shaped ones.
They seem like a no brainer.
What does the wise forum think?
Thank you

Ron1000
04-01-2022, 05:44 PM
I use barracuda ones. Never tested them ‘in anger’ so unknown if they work. But they look nice :chuckle:

Zimbo
05-01-2022, 05:56 PM
I've tested the R&G ones, several times, they work :-)
I've also tested some cheaper ones, they looked nice, but bent / broke off on first exposure to tarmac.
On a track bike they're a no brainer, on a road bike they can save a lot of damage if dropped, but there is also a chance, if the sliding bike hits something like a shallow curb or drain hole cover, that the slider "digs in" and could in theory cause damage to the frame.
If you're going to get some, get good ones - R&G, and I've heard that the Evotech ones are good but have no personal experience.

Tipusss
06-01-2022, 11:53 AM
Aren't the good ones supposed to save from minor damage, but bend before the frame does?

350TSS
06-01-2022, 06:22 PM
I have no direct experience of sliders but from the pictures/drawings I have seen of them, I think the design generally is very unsophisticated. Directly bolting a lump of hard nylon to the nearest frame/ engine mount will surely transfer a significant proportion of any shock loading to the frame and or engine, if they are sufficiently long they may save gravel rash on the frame or tank or depending on the direction of travel may catch a kerb or rut and dig in, flipping the bike.
I think the crash protection system would benefit from a shock absorbing element between the hard nylon end which is designed to slide along the road and the anchorage to the frame/engine. If the nylon end was effectively a piston sliding into a bore with a block of rubber or some material similar to putty which on impact would be forced through some restricted diameter escape holes at the frame end of the bore, then I think that would be a much better solution. It would be difficult to do without excessive bulk or excess weight but not beyond the wit of man.

slob
06-01-2022, 06:54 PM
on balance they’ll probably save more damage than they cause, r&g or evotech all the way.
just stop and think about whether they’ll get in the way of you legs before you buy (shouldn’t be a problem on a mk1 monster)

Dave G
06-01-2022, 07:00 PM
I have R&G bungs on my S2r and I’ve been meaning to take them off for quite a while now as I would now prefer a more original look, however, I left the original engine bolt behind at Ducati Glasgow many years ago and have never got around to sourcing another one.

Mark64
09-01-2022, 02:43 PM
I had r&g round crash bungs on my monster, a guy at work asked if they were 'stunt pegs'

Jam911
09-01-2022, 03:09 PM
I hope you said yes

Dukedesmo
09-01-2022, 03:22 PM
I've got them on my Monster but I only fitted them in case of dropping the bike on it's side, I'm not sure they'd do that much in a crash?