PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Flat Sliders and Throttle

manc skank
26-03-2004, 05:57 PM
Cable that is.

Hi all,

Was one the way back home from Manc Duc, after meeting steviej and npotts, when my throttle cable snapped!

eek!

any way after freezing ass off for an hour and then getting towed back to manc duc and getting them to replace the cable. they told me that because i have flatsliders that i only use one throttle cable not two and that to prevent the cable snapping again i need to get some custom sized cables made up...

can anyone shed some light on this, or tell me where to get custom cables??

thanks,
rick.

crust
26-03-2004, 08:41 PM
you need custom cables because you have non-standard carbs. The standard setup uses a cable to open and a cable to close the carbs with a light spring to make the throttle snap shut.

Flat slides have a tendency to stick so use a heavier spring to make sure they close so they need a heavier/stronger cable to open.

If they are Mikunis you could try - www.allensperformance.co.uk

If you know the specs of the cable or have the old one or if a standard cable works you will have to send them one and ask them to make it out of a heavier duty inner and outer. you could try - www.venhill.co.uk

or try baines racing

:) Crust

M900Dom
26-03-2004, 08:49 PM
Actually, Flatslides should run an opener and a closer cable, as they have more chance of sticking partially open than the standard Carbs.
Flatslides, Normally Keihin FCR 39`s or 41s on a monster have a direct link between Slide and throttle cable, whereas CV Carbs rely on a Cable to open a Butterfly, then Vacuum to open the slide.
As Crust said though, speak to Allens, they will sort you out ;)

Do you want to do a deal on a set of standard carbs with a brand new Jet kit against the Flatslides :confused: ;) :D
Let us know either way
Cheers
Dom

CK & AK
26-03-2004, 08:58 PM
Swap? - Behave yourself Dom:D

Alan

manc skank
26-03-2004, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by M900Dom
Do you want to do a deal on a set of standard carbs with a brand new Jet kit against the Flatslides :confused: ;) :D
Let us know either way
Cheers
Dom

thanks for the info and links will try them thanks.

ya Keihin 39mm flatslides.

i did notice the carbs sticking open a bit, had to twitch the throttle to get them to unstick...

hmmm might be noobish to monsters, but i dont believe the std mikunis make the same power or give you that lovely induction whistle... so a polite no.

M900Dom
26-03-2004, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by CK & AK
Swap? - Behave yourself Dom:D

Alan

:D :D :D
Was worth a try ;)

Nearly bought a set of 4 downdraft 39FCR`s off ebay a couple of weeks ago £250;)
But just too much work to get them sorted for the Monster.....

Cheap deals from the States with the exchange rate at the mo ;)

Either that or I`ll Have to find a single downdraft 39 to go with the Sidedraft one I already have, shorty Manifolds and Wahey:cool:

snakey
27-03-2004, 07:26 AM
Talking of carbs ...... I've just got the '89 sport running well on the twinchoke Webber, bit of a bastard to set up but once there what a machine, and much to my shame I seem to be riding that one more than the monster at the moment, it's more fun on the twisty bits - so I think the monny will be kept for longer runs,
And Just to be really greedy I'm now considering a very nice offer of a 900ss. that needs a little work due to sliding down the road.

manc skank
27-03-2004, 10:33 AM
to add: after ducat manc fitted the new throttle cable, i now have 1/2 an inch of slack before the cable opens the throttle, is this because the cable is too long? anything i can do about it?

gonna get hold of allensperformance on monday.

cheers,
rick.