PDA

View Full Version : Newboy here, from Reading.

PPuxley
16-04-2021, 09:46 PM
Hi, I'm new here, new to Ducatis and new to Monsters. I've been a lifelong biker, now 64 and retired. But not new to Italian machinery. My other bikes are a long owned Laverda Jota 120 (since 84)
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48470858586_367052f650_w_d.jpg

and a just completed nut and bolt rebuild and Electric start conversion to an XR400R Honda.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51086279007_67d03685ab_w_d.jpg

Im now looking for my next ground up rebuild and after having a good read of Ian Falloons book and having always had a hankering for the Monster, I started looking for a suitable early M900 before 98.
I was particularly taken by Tony Lloyds (Buzzer) rebuild and by complete co-incidence I ve ended up with a black 95 ( registered jan 96) M900 from Nick Brown in Nairn near Inverness. It arrives next Saturday.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51120730205_c307e82282_w_d.jpg

I havent made up my mind yet whether I will meticulously return it to original or allow sympathetic revisions. (Nick is very keen I keep it Black)I had an experienced motorcycling friend give it the once over and had long very helpful chats with Nick and I think most of the important stuff is there and whats missing is still obtainable. Its a project, and it will come apart to the last nut and bolt, it will no doubt cost me overall, but it will get ridden when finished (I do about 5k miles a year on the Jota)

So expect plenty of inane questions

And I'll start with this to see who got this far
Is this the right Factory manual or is there something better?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ducati-Motorcycle-Motorbike-Monster-900-Up-to-99-Workshop-Manual-/164155656066?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286

slob
16-04-2021, 10:01 PM
welcome aboard

crust
16-04-2021, 10:03 PM
Hi fellow Reading Monster owner.

Welcome to the club, keep us posted on progress.

There's a wealth of knowledge on here, question away.

motomartin11
16-04-2021, 10:08 PM
Welcome-I bought Nick's M750 last Autumn via this site and have been very pleased with it.Good luck with the 900 project.

Moco1961
17-04-2021, 04:20 AM
Welcome aboard PP, looking forward to your build thread:thumbsup:

Darkness
17-04-2021, 06:15 AM
Welcome on board!

Regarding the manual, depends whether you want the paper copy. I got a CD digital copy for far less money. What I can’t do without are the parts fische that Stein Dinse publish on line:

https://www.stein-dinse.biz/eliste/index.php

Parts availability for the early Monsters is still pretty good through Ducati dealers, though some of the specific early parts have been discontinued. It depends how “original” you want it, and whether the Elefants and Date Stamps on parts matter.

If you use MotoRapido in Winchester, don’t forget to ask for the 10% UKMOC club discount. They also do mail order and are a fount of knowledge. As is @Albie on here.

PPuxley
17-04-2021, 06:48 AM
Welcome on board!

Regarding the manual, depends whether you want the paper copy. I got a CD digital copy for far less money. What I can’t do without are the parts fische that Stein Dinse publish on line:

https://www.stein-dinse.biz/eliste/index.php

Parts availability for the early Monsters is still pretty good through Ducati dealers, though some of the specific early parts have been discontinued. It depends how “original” you want it, and whether the Elefants and Date Stamps on parts matter.

If you use MotoRapido in Winchester, don’t forget to ask for the 10% UKMOC club discount. They also do mail order and are a fount of knowledge. As is @Albie on here.

Thanks for the reply, Darkness. I'm fine with digital and someone has offered me a pdf file, so that should be sorted. I discovered the Stein-dinse fiches after Buzzer put me onto them. Although I can't quite reconcile their part numbering with what I see on the cans for this model, which I will need.
I'll need a bit more time to understand the whole elephant, cagiva stamp thing.
And I have already had a couple of chats with the very very helpful Craig at Moto Rapido, so looks like I'm on the right track. But I didn't know about the 10% discount
Looking forward to the build and being an active member here

PPuxley
17-04-2021, 07:17 AM
Grappling with the ways of this Forum. Ive recd a PM and I think Ive replied to it, yet I dont see anything in my sent box....am I missing something?
I'm either going to be thought of as rude for not replying or a stalker for having done so three times:chuckle::chuckle::chuckle:

Darren69
17-04-2021, 07:44 AM
I think Nasher still has some DP Remus exhausts for sale which should fit your model. Look in the for sale section on here.

PPuxley
17-04-2021, 08:05 AM
I think Nasher still has some DP Remus exhausts for sale which should fit your model. Look in the for sale section on here.

Its got Silmotor carbon cans, but I need a pair of original ZDM-A21/ZDM-B21 , I think the numbering is, although my research is coming up with conflicting numbers....steep learning curve!

Darren69
17-04-2021, 08:10 AM
Most standard ones will fit from 600/750 and 900 and they probably all have different part numbers. The really early ones didn't have a chamfer and those are the ones sought after for the really early '93-94 bikes but the others should be readily available not much $$ I'm not sure that the ZDM is a Ducati part number but maybe some sort of type approval code?

PPuxley
17-04-2021, 08:16 AM
Most standard ones will fit from 600/750 and 900 and they probably all have different part numbers. The really early ones didn't have a chamfer and those are the ones sought after for the really early '93-94 bikes but the others should be readily available not much $$ I'm not sure that the ZDM is a Ducati part number but maybe some sort of type approval code?

Ive already found out about the "Hens Teeth" early ones and I know about the chamfer. ZDM-A21 is something I have seen stamped on them looking on ebay
The long part number seems to vary, although the can looks just the same, I guess thats what youre talking about it being shared between models
Ive seen 573.1.050.2E or 574.1.050.2B

Darren69
17-04-2021, 08:16 AM
The ones from the injection bikes were slightly longer but still fit IIRC. I've a feeling that Gazza had several sets up for sale a while back.

PPuxley
17-04-2021, 08:27 AM
The ones from the injection bikes were slightly longer but still fit IIRC. I've a feeling that Gazza had several sets up for sale a while back.

Do you know which Gazza? theres quite a few. I was going to PM him

dacs
17-04-2021, 08:30 AM
Grappling with the ways of this Forum. Ive recd a PM and I think Ive replied to it, yet I dont see anything in my sent box....am I missing something?
I'm either going to be thought of as rude for not replying or a stalker for having done so three times:chuckle::chuckle::chuckle:

Welcome to the forum - took me a while to realise that I had to go to the list of options at the bottom of the screen and select the option to keep a copy in my Sent folder, before clicking Send. Your pm probably went thrice, you're welcome to join me in the stalkers' corner :chuckle:

Mr Gazza
17-04-2021, 08:33 AM
Hello and welcome to the club PPuxley.

Sounds like you're not exactly a beginner and have found the ropes already.. Looking forward to a build thread.

Darren is almost right, I bought a collection of silencers, but I do have some to spare.
I wouldn't pay too much attention to the part numbers as I even have some stamped lafranconi and some stamped Remus, they are identical.
The silencers I have left are the Lafranconi/Remus "pair" and are a little scratched, but what I do, and indeed what Buzzer did, is polish off all the anodizing so they twinkle in the Sun and look better than new. I gently core mine too, just so's you know it's running without frightening the horses.. :chuckle:

Darren69
17-04-2021, 08:36 AM
Your right there are lots of Gazzas, I was searching for the wrong name it's 'Mr Gazza', but there is really only one Gazza on here! :) Sounds like they have all gone now, but it was a while back. Ebay! But will probably cost more to post than they are worth, super heavy :)

PPuxley
17-04-2021, 08:37 AM
Welcome to the forum - took me a while to realise that I had to go to the list of options at the bottom of the screen and select the option to keep a copy in my Sent folder, before clicking Send. Your pm probably went thrice, you're welcome to join me in the stalkers' corner :chuckle:

Aha! Got it.........now i think he's rude for not replying to my 3 messages:chuckle::chuckle::chuckle::chuckle:

PPuxley
17-04-2021, 08:47 AM
Hello and welcome to the club PPuxley.

Sounds like you're not exactly a beginner and have found the ropes already.. Looking forward to a build thread.

Darren is almost right, I bought a collection of silencers, but I do have some to spare.
I wouldn't pay too much attention to the part numbers as I even have some stamped lafranconi and some stamped Remus, they are identical.
The silencers I have left are the Lafranconi/Remus "pair" and are a little scratched, but what I do, and indeed what Buzzer did, is polish off all the anodizing so they twinkle in the Sun and look better than new. I gently core mine too, just so's you know it's running without frightening the horses.. :chuckle:

Sorry, missed this. Yes, saw what Buzzer did. Ive had some success with stripping anodising (im assuming they are "flat" anodised aluminium) dressing the scratches, red scotchbriting, vapour blasting, then reanodising to end up with very nearly an original finish. That would cost me around £30 a can in blasting and anodising plus a lot of time (but my times free) or I can just keep looking through the build for a really good pair. i saw the "coring" he did and will get the deets for that in due course

mickj
17-04-2021, 09:10 AM
Welcome to the forum PPuxley :thumbsup: is that a proper (180) jota? A friend of mine was once willing to sacrifice his left nut to own one. :chuckle:

PPuxley
17-04-2021, 09:57 AM
Welcome to the forum PPuxley :thumbsup: is that a proper (180) jota? A friend of mine was once willing to sacrifice his left nut to own one. :chuckle:

120 Jota. Actually its not even that, the motors been dealt with by Laverda Guru Keith Nairn. Now 1200, with A mikuni carb conversion. Originally 83bhp, now dyno'd at 103.
Its funny how people say "proper" Jota, my friends who have both admit the 120s the better bike. But, youre right, it doesnt have the kudos of the original Slater Jota. Much rarer, too, there were only 400 of these ever built

Darren69
17-04-2021, 10:06 AM
Yea, I actually have a 1200 180 Laverda Mk I with a lot of Jota and Mk II bits on it. they're a nice 'old' bike but not even close to what Ducati did with the Monster, talk about heavy!

walkingpictures
17-04-2021, 10:43 AM
Welcome to the site Patrick,great place this and some very knowledgeable and helpful people

Kimbo

crust
17-04-2021, 04:21 PM
Aha! Got it.........now i think he's rude for not replying to my 3 messages:chuckle::chuckle::chuckle::chuckle:

He is, the @~#*&%

That or he's been out riding his own Monster :)

Replied now

PPuxley
17-04-2021, 07:43 PM
He is, the @~#*&%

That or he's been out riding his own Monster :)

Replied now

:chuckle::chuckle::chuckle::chuckle::chuckle:

Darkness
18-04-2021, 06:25 AM

Yours is 95 model year, so the Type Approval writing will list the M900 and M600, but not the M750 as they hadn’t started production then. The silencers will have the chamfered underside too, as they were introduced mid ‘94 model year.

Correction: They only list the M900, until the M750 was added. M600 have a different legend.

Darren69
18-04-2021, 06:34 AM
You've probably seen there is currently what looks like a fairly decent pair on ebay for £35+£15 post

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ducati-monster-exhausts/114770401280

Darkness
18-04-2021, 06:43 AM
You've probably seen there is currently what looks like a fairly decent pair on ebay for £35+£15 post

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ducati-monster-exhausts/114770401280

Those are later than ‘95 though as they don’t have the Cagiva era font for ‘Ducati’.

Darren69
18-04-2021, 07:00 AM
Yea, From what I've read just now, I think ZDM A21 and B21 are for the earlier up to '99 M900 bikes but some of these have the later font. If you want model year specific I guess you will need the actual part numbers

PPuxley
18-04-2021, 10:57 AM
Just catching up. Thanks for that Darkness and Darren. Blimey, it is a minefield. I need to try and find the numbers out. Craig at Moto Rapido was very helpful and more than happy to confirm numbers etc.