PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Rough Cast Alloy

Didge
25-03-2004, 03:13 PM
Does anyone know of any product(s) that will clean up rough cast alloy, such as our heads and barrels etc, which can be used without taking the bike to bits.
No matter how hard I scrub, I can't get the dirt and stains (no skid-mark jokes please) out of the rough cast bits.
Are ther any mild acid products that will do the job for instance?

Dave in USA
25-03-2004, 03:32 PM
Didge, I used to always use AutoGlym Bike Cleaner, spray it on the engine & give it 5 mins or so, then scrub with a sort bristled brush (used a long handled dish washing brush) then rinse with warm water, should have the desired result.

There's a product over here called 409, its a kitchen cleaner, but a lot of the guys use it without any problems on their bikes. There should be someting like that in your local Tesco's.

But I would try Autoglym 1st.

Dave

Nigel C
25-03-2004, 06:04 PM
try this links it's all household items so it should be well cheap !!!

aluminium cleaner (http://tips.tipking.com/cleaning/tip_433.shtml)

Didge
25-03-2004, 06:08 PM
Cheers guys.
I'll give the autoglym a go first Dave. Thanks.

NattyBoy
25-03-2004, 08:27 PM
The autoglyms good gear didge, but the spray bottles are ****e (the triggers seize up!).

Nat

diogenes
25-03-2004, 08:41 PM
Whatever you do NEVER USE OVEN CLEANER.

spacemonkey
25-03-2004, 08:46 PM
..as it will cause a reaction with the aluminium and oxidise (?) it, making it dull. I have used Truckwash on stuff before-the cleaning power is amazing, but if you don't get it off the ally quick it will do this as it is caustic. I got the feeling that the bike cleaning stuffs are de-greasers and maybe not quite what you are after. Let us know how you get on.

Muttley
25-03-2004, 09:34 PM
Trust Ogri Didge.......

Pedro
25-03-2004, 09:44 PM
Didge

get some wheel clear - this stuff is mildly acidic so be sure to rinse off well. I think I've just got basic Halfords stuff but it works ok.

Also worth using (and better than Autoglym bike cleaner) is Muc-Off - flipping marvellous. Might be worth trying Truckwash (dilute with hotwater is best) or even Gunk. You might need several goes with Gunk tho.

Ped

spacemonkey
25-03-2004, 09:47 PM
My local Ducati Emporium used Silkolene Prowash, and it was very good.

Dave in USA
25-03-2004, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by Pedro
Muc-Off - flipping marvellous.

That was the other one I was trying to remember the name of!

Muc-Off..........

:D

Didge
26-03-2004, 09:19 AM
What's 'TRUCKWASH', and where can I find it?

Pedro
26-03-2004, 05:24 PM
Truckwash is industrial degreasent - I get mine from work. We use it for floor cleaning and degreasing machine tools. It'll get the grease of ANYTHING!

You probably find it in the tube maintenance yards Didge

spacemonkey
27-03-2004, 08:12 AM
But for gawds sake if it gets on ally, rinse it off within a minute or so. I used it on a mountain bike and spent ages with the Autosol after! It is great though. Brilliant on wheels etc.

McMONSTRO
27-03-2004, 08:51 AM
Truckwash is also sometimes called "traffic film remover", comes in various strengths, so beware!!! the strongest will take off any grease/crap etc but its supposed to be diluted before use, so be v-carefull as to how long you leave it on before washing it off!!

McMonstro

pooh
27-03-2004, 12:43 PM
Didge
STARDROPS CHEAP AS CHIPS FROM YOUR LOCAL WILKINSONS SHOP CLEANS EVERYTHING AND DOES NOT LEAVE SMEARS ON PAINTWORK.

Works for me

Ian