PDA

View Full Version : battery light, engine stops...

stef
24-03-2004, 08:32 PM
Complete Ducati virgin, i just bought a m600.
now for the question:
should the battery light come on a all time when the engine is not runing ? the bike starts fine, and the battery lights swithches off, so it might just be normal... but then..
i took the bike for a ride this evening, and the engine seem to want to cut off. just before that, the battery light got flashing a little.. it was doing this 10mins in the ride, so the engine wasnt really cold...at the end of the ride, everything was fine, i could just let the engine iddle without any problem.

-would a dead battery cause the engine to stop ?
-does the battery light mean anything while the engine is not running ?

thanks for your lights..

Nigel C
24-03-2004, 08:36 PM
the only lights that should be on when it's not running should be the oil light and the neutral light well on my 748 anyway!! i would have thought a monster shouldn't be any different (someone may prove me wrong though) :eek:

spacemonkey
24-03-2004, 08:44 PM
Don't worry, that's the same as mine. The battery light comes on when you turn the key, then goes out when you start. It shouldn't come on when you're running unless maybe if the engine is running too slow.
If the bike ran like ****e it was probably carb icing. However, even with FST to stop this, my bike doesn't like cold weather until the oil warms fully, and will die if I don't dribble it a little throttle to keep things ticking over.

stef
24-03-2004, 08:56 PM
thanks, that's usefull information..
how long does it normally take to warm the monster up ?

snakey
25-03-2004, 07:53 AM
Originally posted by stef
thanks, that's usefull information..

Too long when you are sitting on it waiting to get going ! I've just ordered a 'side stand cut-out bypass' from http://www.spareshack.com/ so that I can have the bike warming up while I lock up the garage, put my lid on etc. - has anyone fitted one & is it straight forward? it seemes like a good idea, a mate of mine has just bought a new 1000ie and this annoying piece of technology has been left off, perhaps many have complained about it and Ducati have listened.

Pete.

steviej
25-03-2004, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by stef

OOOerrr missus:eek: :eek:

steviej
25-03-2004, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by snakey
I've just ordered a 'side stand cut-out bypass' from http://www.spareshack.com/ so that I can have the bike warming up while I lock up the garage, put my lid on etc.
Pete.

Mine must have had one already. Didn't know it was an option until now!!

cerebus
25-03-2004, 11:26 AM
Err what's a battery light ?

My M600 has 5 lights, 4 in a cluster and one red one in the tacho. The red one is the oil pressure light isn't it ? It comes on with the ignition and should stay off while the engine is running.

I've had trouble in the wet with the oil light coming on as the contact sometimes get water trapped in there.

I have one of those side stand bypass things, it is easy to fit, but I found it was not very reliable as it wouldn't always start. I think it may have been down to the neutral light wire connection though but I haven't been bothered enough to find out yet.

Cerebus

stef
25-03-2004, 12:08 PM
the battery light is one of them, in the cluster..
(its a 95 model) i guess it's got that bypass thingy, because i can leave on stand to lock the garage...
so back to the original thread..
anymore people with a battery light comming up when the engine is not running ? the manual doesnt mention it !

steviej
25-03-2004, 02:24 PM
Right, I've just had a quick look at mine, (1998 M750). 7 lights in all: Lights, Neutral, Oil, Blinkers, Sidestand, Main Beam, Fuel.
A blank one tidies the panel. No Battery light!?!?!

Stef, If you got it from a dealer take it back.

dennis
25-03-2004, 03:53 PM
Stef,
the battery light is there to indicate whether or not the alternator is charging the battery. With ignition on and the engine stopped the light will be 'on' indicating no charge from the alternator. As soon as you start the engine, the light should go out to show the alternator is charging.

However, if the idle speed is set too low the charge light may flicker because alternator wont develop suficient electrical potential below a certain RPM, tweek the adjuster on the carbs to increase the idle speed or have a dealer check the idle speed. Carburated modles can idle poorly when the engine is cold.

Later 600 Monsters (1998 etc) dont have a charge light.
Hope this helps.

stef
25-03-2004, 04:50 PM
Thanks Dennis,
This really helps..
so the red light is normal after all (when the engine is stopped)
i'll follow your advice and keep an eye on the iddle speed.

spacemonkey
25-03-2004, 08:53 PM
It's totally normal.... you'll find that cars and bikes have this feature. it's called the ignition lights. Another reason they come on when you turn the key is to test the bulb so you know they are working.
When riding, my bike will take about 15-20 mins to warm around town which is about 7 miles I guess, but mine has an oil cooler and yours probably won't hence yours might warm quicker. Do you have a carb heater kit fitted? I'm not sure what it would look like on 600, but probably there will be braided hoses and a tap going to the carb bases. You want these 'on' at this time of year to prevent carb icing.