PDA

View Full Version : How do you Clean yours?

Paranoid Dave
24-03-2004, 06:51 PM
Chain that is....?

Everyone i talk to has a different idea, what's the best way?

One says WD40 (cant be good for the chain), another takes it off to do it. I hear parafin is the best?

Help me out here peeps.
:confused:

Chris
24-03-2004, 06:59 PM
Petrol is as good as parafin, and cheaper. Dry it off after, and give it a good re-lubing.

steviej
24-03-2004, 07:00 PM
Parafin is the tops ar' kid. And no need to wash/dry off as it just evaporates into thin air so to speak...............

gary tompkins
24-03-2004, 07:03 PM
Better still fit a scottoiler - and the chain cleans itself ;)

spacemonkey
24-03-2004, 07:44 PM
And don't use anything that damages the rubber O-rings, or you'll be sorry!

Pedro
24-03-2004, 08:03 PM
Petrol will probably damage the o rings so best to use parafin or pukka chain cleaner.

Ped

steviej
24-03-2004, 08:11 PM
ditto

Billy Bigwheels
24-03-2004, 08:18 PM
So is WD40 good, bad or indifferent for the chain??

steviej
24-03-2004, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by Billy Bigwheels

Bit of a funny one this.

Basically it is a lubricant. If you've ever used this stuff to 'polish' your metal bits :eek: you may notice, after a few days, it seem to act like a magnet to all sorts of airbourne crap, which is fine in general but I reckon not for a chain, personally I don't use it on my chain

craigie
24-03-2004, 08:31 PM
I used Wurth chain cleaner, and it seemed to clean the O-rings right out of there. totally ****ed my chain.

got a scottioler now, thank ****, no more of that messin about in the street.

Paranoid Dave
24-03-2004, 08:37 PM
I didn't mean WD40 as a lube, just a cleaner and then lube after. I thought it would bugger the O-rings like petrol.

I'll get some Parafin soon then. :D

thanks all.

steviej
24-03-2004, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by Paranoid Dave

I'll get some Parafin soon then. :D

Nice one......Second only to a Scottoiler

Paranoid Dave
24-03-2004, 08:44 PM
Yeh, but i don't want a bloody scottoiler, I'll wait til i'm 50 and riding something practical :D Do you think teddy bear ears will look right on a BMW tourer? ;)

steviej
24-03-2004, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by Paranoid Dave
Yeh, but i don't want a bloody scottoiler, I'll wait til i'm 50 and riding something practical :D Do you think teddy bear ears will look right on a BMW tourer? ;)

Now Now calm down calm down.:D :D

I've not got one myself, but they can make your chain last umpteen times longer. More dosh for the tank then eh????:p

spacemonkey
24-03-2004, 09:48 PM
You could always be a cool, hip and trendt rebel, and go the electronic oiler route! Motrax doa jobby for £50 odd or summit. feck, I'm pished on Absinthe again and the keeys are moving. I got one and no more adjusting chains, and no more ****e everywhere. remember, rememeberr the 5th ov November-no, bollox, I meant that O-Ringpiece chains only need a slight dribble of oil as the grease for the links are contained BY the O Rings. I'm worried that de greasing the chain might get past thesee and flush the gre\ase?

Pedro
24-03-2004, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by Billy Bigwheels

I used either WD40 or GT85 briefly in the summaer last year (only a week or two) and it seems to make the o rings swell up. Asked Steve at Rapido and he said both were a no no. Apparently, both have additives that don't react well to the o ring materials.

Clean with parafin, dry and relube using a quality chain lube.

I used Castrol Chain Wax - apply it after a ride when the chain is warm. Seems good to me

Ped

Chris
24-03-2004, 10:52 PM
What's wrong with scotoillers PD. I'm certainly not 50 and think mies is great. The chain has never looked so good, and it doesn't need cleaning or lubing.

WD40 is a no-no. It is a penetrating oil and therefore will penetrate past the O-rings and wash out the grease inside the chain. The main lube required on a chain is inside the rollers, the grease. O or X rings are designed to keep this in and clean. The lube on the outside is just to keep the chain to sprocket contact lubed and stop the chain coroding. (Well that's what I've been told anyway!)

netstar
24-03-2004, 11:07 PM
Big up for the holy scot oiler... saves alot of grubby hands and dirt down finger nails!

Paranoid Dave
25-03-2004, 06:03 PM
Chris.

and I thought you were young enough to know better. ;)

Chris
25-03-2004, 06:22 PM
I'm a year younger than you PD! But obviously not as wise!!!!

Paranoid Dave
25-03-2004, 06:48 PM
:eek:

Now I do feel old! :mad:

M900Dom
26-03-2004, 02:04 AM
To Clean,

Oh and a Scottoiler:D

Best Mod bar none on a Monster, no more weekly chain adjustments, even on the 900, I used to get about 1000 miles minimum between adjustments after fitting it...

Before it was every week:eek:

Got 13000 miles out of my last chain, and that would have done more had the Muppet from FWR not F**ked my cushdrive:mad:

We`ll see how long this one lasts with new Cushdrive rubbers as well;)

Scottoilers Rule in my book;) :D

But GT85 smells loads better ;)

HTH
Dom

gary tompkins
26-03-2004, 09:38 AM
PD,
I think the real reason you don't want a scotttoiler is because you've chopped so much off Kylie that there's not a lot left to hide one behind :D