PDA

View Full Version : tyre matching ?

stef
24-03-2004, 02:05 PM
I need to replace a front tyre on my 95 m600. From what i hear from the dealers, i have to match the front tyre and the rear, with the same brand and model...
I have a dunlop sportmax on the back, does this mean i cannot put a pirelli at the front ?
can someone explain the logic behind ?
I would have thought that as long as the tyre size and construction is the right one, it shouldnt matter what the brand is !

Chris
24-03-2004, 02:39 PM
From what I understand it is advisable to have a matching pair, but not essential. The treat patterns will be designed to work together, the front should clear the water for the rear to pass through, the compounds will also be designed to match well as a pair.

I'd make sure that you have a better tyre on the front than the rear and you should be OK (but dont sue me if you have a crash!)

If you look at prices, it may be worth buying a pair. Fronts cost around £100, rears £140, pairs £180 ish.

Jamcoly
24-03-2004, 02:46 PM
i've been told that from people.
I've always ran metzelers.
but when i urgently need a rear the dealer doing the service only had a dunlop 207 in stock
i've had no probs with this pairing and am perfectly happy riding in all comditions.
so far on the 3rd rear and still on the original front with life still in it after over 12500 miles.
*james

fatbloke
24-03-2004, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by Jamcoly
so far on the 3rd rear and still on the original front with life still in it after over 12500 miles.
*james

Bloody hell James they must be made of Nylon! I'm on 7200 miles
2nd front (nearly shot) 3rd rear (not much left on that)
Mind you I think the fact that you weigh about 2 stone wringing
wet and I'm nearer a ton may be a huge factor our differing tyre wear.:mad:

Dave Diggler
24-03-2004, 08:42 PM
due to occasions of poverty, ive run non matching tyres a number of times. if theyre both designed for the same thing i.e theyre both sports touring, then there shouldnt be anything to worry about. ive run on a pirelli rear and dunlop sportsmax front and the bikes handled fine. but if theyre miss matched, ie a race type with a touring type, then watch out! i once ran on a rear sportsmax with a metzler race front and ended up on the tarmac....which just about served me right!

spacemonkey
24-03-2004, 08:49 PM
Are you Dirk's brother?

crust
24-03-2004, 09:01 PM
third time I've typed this, thanks to NTLbarstards < crap service, broadband, more like trickle feed

anyway....

tyre size gives you height/width but thats only part of the story

its the profile that determines - turn in speed, rate of turn, sidegrip, straightline stability

suppose manufacturer A decides a fast turn in with lots of sidegrip is best then they will go for a triangular profile

manufacturer B may decide a slower turn in is better and go for a rounder profile

if you mix you might get a combination that works or you might get a nightmare

some people will say "do it I've mixed all my life and never had a problem", "others will say dont it made me crash."

its your GAMBLE.

personally I've always thought that the cost of tyres is cheap compared to the cost of Ducati parts/pain

how hard do you push your bike?

are you feeling lucky?

:) Crust

Dave Diggler
24-03-2004, 09:13 PM
well, y'know, it is a monster........

Pedro
24-03-2004, 09:53 PM
If you don't wanna break the bank, Busters were doing D207s for £135 a pair mail order recently - cost me about a tenner to have them fitted I think

Ped

25-03-2004, 07:30 AM
Sorry for mentioning the H word again, but I had D207 (the standard ones, not the RR) on my Hornet and they were really poor. They never gave me any confidence in leaning the bike over, just didn't feel safe. Even worse in the wet.

Fitted some BT010 front and rear, much better. Managed to scrape the footpegs on the way home from the tyre shop!! (actually this is a bit of a lie, it was the next day, had to scrub them in first!)

Fitted BT010 to my M900 now. I've never used BT020 tyres, but if you are not a hard rider then they might be a good compromise for wear/performance. Their reputation is very good.

BTW this what a Hornet back tyre should look like !!

Pedro
25-03-2004, 12:14 PM
Proto

maybe just the bike, cos I find the D207s pretty damn good so far!

We'll let you off just this once for the H word........:D

Ped

spacemonkey
25-03-2004, 08:57 PM
And the suspension settings must be a little off- that tyres well chewed! But at least it's all the way to the edge...

Matt Black
25-03-2004, 09:02 PM
Tread carefully, slick.