PDA

View Full Version : New 620 Owner

velosam
02-11-2020, 10:20 AM
Hello all. I recently (a month or so ago now!) bought a nice and clean 2004 620 and I'm loving it. I've had bigger bikes, but the grin-per-cc factor on this bike is awesome, the feeling is like when I got my first bike on the road and spent all my time grinning ear-to-ear.

I've already done a couple of jobs on it:

Changed the indicators to some rounder LED ones (they were mismatched and I didn't like the shape), i had to make a couple of tabs to mount them, but have a mate 3D printing some new mounts to fit into the tail chop. I'll post up once this is done.
Added an LED strip for the numberplate light (the tail chop deleted the original but the wiring was still there).
Changed the discs as there was a pulse on the brake lever when I got it - the original wheel powdercoating had gone onto the mating surface for the brake disc, it had already had discs a few thousand miles ago (the bike's only done 13k) and the mechanic clearly hadn't picked this up as being the reason that the disc had worn, I took it back to a flat surface and all seems good.
Sourced a new tank rubber - one side was missing, got it from Italy for £2.99... plus £13.99 postage! :flamed:
Found a headlight fairing, currently prepping it to respray.
Bought db killers from SP Engineering as the cans are super loud and even though the MOT tester is a mate who I cycle with, I dunno if he can look past that!

I'm going to do the belts over the winter and do an oil and filter change. Seems as though Ducati belts are the thing to get as apart from the Flennor ones (which seem to have mixed reviews), I've not seen any that are really any less in terms of cost.

https://i.postimg.cc/hvDRn374/M620.jpg

alan s4
02-11-2020, 11:08 AM
Looks good, didn't realise the 620's were fitted with twin discs, it must stop on a sixpence given the weight of the bike!

slob
02-11-2020, 11:18 AM
hello and welcome,

for pics, edit your original post and change the tags surrounding your link from “url” to “img”
(keeping the square brackets and closing slash) or you can use the yellow button with mountains/sun to add them automagically

Luddite
02-11-2020, 11:46 AM
Welcome aboard!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ElSgAGgWMAEqcre?format=jpg&name=large

That's a very nice example, Sam. No wonder you're happy! :thumbsup:

For timing belts, consider Exactfit (you'd need the TB800).

http://www.exactuk.com/about-exactfit-cam-belts/

Darren69
02-11-2020, 12:07 PM
Looks good, didn't realise the 620's were fitted with twin discs, it must stop on a sixpence given the weight of the bike!

Hello and welcome,

yea, they did make a 620 Dark monodisco version but the standard 620 had twin discs, and new for '04 I believe they had added the Adler clutch and 6 speed gears too.

slob
02-11-2020, 12:22 PM
You also get the odd Sie models with alloy swingarms

velosam
02-11-2020, 12:24 PM
hello and welcome,

for pics, edit your original post and change the tags surrounding your link from “url” to “img”
(keeping the square brackets and closing slash) or you can use the yellow button with mountains/sun to add them automagically

Tried that - don't think it likes it as it's hosted on Twitter?

Mr Gazza
02-11-2020, 12:25 PM
Hello and welcome Sam.
I rode a 620 for the first time only this year and would agree with you 100% about the grin factor. Nice and lively and light.. :biggrin:

+1 for exactfit belts. They are about the same price as Ducati belts now, but they will go three years instead of the two years for Ducati belts, so quite a saving.
Change those belts sooner rather than later if you don't know the history of them.
They can be a liability if the bike has stood for a long time. At least examine them closely for any cracks or fraying, make sure they are nice and supple and check the tension.

Bike looks mint by the way.. :thumbsup:

velosam
02-11-2020, 12:25 PM
Hello and welcome,

yea, they did make a 620 Dark monodisco version but the standard 620 had twin discs, and new for '04 I believe they had added the Adler clutch and 6 speed gears too.

Yes, mine's a 6sp. and the twin discs are standard. As Alan says, it stops very well!

velosam
02-11-2020, 12:29 PM
Hello and welcome Sam.
I rode a 620 for the first time only this year and would agree with you 100% about the grin factor. Nice and lively and light.. :biggrin:

+1 for exactfit belts. They are about the same price as Ducati belts now, but they will go three years instead of the two years for Ducati belts, so quite a saving.
Change those belts sooner rather than later if you don't know the history of them.
They can be a liability if the bike has stood for a long time. At least examine them closely for any cracks or fraying, make sure they are nice and supple and check the tension.

Bike looks mint by the way.. :thumbsup:

Cheers, the belts were done two years ago according to the previous owner, I'm not likely to ride it now as the weather up here in Scotland is pretty crap - greasy roads all over the place, so I'll be getting the belts done sooner rather than later. I definitely want to do it myself so that I start off knowing when they were done.

Good info re: 3yr period, that really helps make my mind up - good to hear that the Exactfit belts get the thumbs up here.

The bike hasn't stood, I've got all the old MOT certificates and it's just done low miles each year. I reckon it's been garaged for all of that time as there's hardly a spot of corrosion anywhere, even the front cylinder head is still clean (albeit with a tiny bit of bubbling).

velosam
02-11-2020, 12:29 PM
Welcome aboard!

That's a very nice example, Sam. No wonder you're happy! :thumbsup:

For timing belts, consider Exactfit (you'd need the TB800).

http://www.exactuk.com/about-exactfit-cam-belts/

Cheers, I had seen these, but didn't know what the score was re: quality. Good to hear from a couple of responses here that they're the ones to get.

slob
02-11-2020, 12:35 PM
hhhhmmmmm...

hit ‘quote’ on luddites post (or this one) and check the code he used

velosam
02-11-2020, 12:39 PM
I used a link from postimg.cc - just don't think it liked the Twitter hosting!

Pic is from the last ride I had a couple Saturday's ago over the Duke's Pass. Amazing scenery up there, especially when the leaves were all on the turn.

ChrisC2925
02-11-2020, 12:44 PM
Tidy looking bike, Sam, welcome. You've got some good biking roads up where you are, hopefully you will get to the weekender next year

velosam
02-11-2020, 01:09 PM
Tidy looking bike, Sam, welcome. You've got some good biking roads up where you are, hopefully you will get to the weekender next year

Cheers Chris. Yeah, there's plenty of decent roads up here. Looking forward to spring when they're dry again!

mickj
02-11-2020, 02:09 PM
Welcome to the forum Volosam. :thumbsup:

boris
02-11-2020, 03:02 PM
Welcome from another 620 owner, I know where your coming from. I've had mine 17 years now..

Darren69
02-11-2020, 03:25 PM
You also get the odd Sie models with alloy swingarms

The 620Sie was supposed to have the alloy swingarm of the S4 but maybe some didn't due to the inconsistency and confusion of the Sie specs across the range at the time? I do think that is a super clean example of the standard 620ie that unusually even appears to still have all the original engine paint! :)

velosam
02-11-2020, 03:31 PM
Welcome from another 620 owner, I know where your coming from. I've had mine 17 years now..

Thanks. Good roads up near you too - might head that way come summer for a grand day out, via Glenshee of course.

velosam
02-11-2020, 03:33 PM
The 620Sie was supposed to have the alloy swingarm of the S4 but maybe some didn't due to the inconsistency and confusion of the Sie specs across the range at the time? I do think that is a super clean example of the standard 620ie that unusually even appears to still have all the original engine paint! :)

Yep, engine paint is original! Looking at the engine paint and shock linkage, shock spring etc, it would seem the bike has hardly seen rain in its life.

It's definitely got a steel swingarm. Need to touch it up in a couple of places, would the correct code be 332.7078?

Luddite
02-11-2020, 03:49 PM
It's definitely got a steel swingarm. Need to touch it up in a couple of places, would the correct code be 332.7078?

You've got a real gem there, Sam.

That paint code is light grey metallic according to the table provided by Dukedesmo http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showpost.php?p=580952&postcount=11

I've got a set of Exactfit belts waiting to go on my Evo over winter. When you change yours, don't forget to check the tensioner rollers - make sure they turn freely and without any notchiness. They can, and do, wear and are often overlooked.

velosam
02-11-2020, 04:05 PM
You've got a real gem there, Sam.

That paint code is light grey metallic according to the table provided by Dukedesmo http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showpost.php?p=580952&postcount=11

I've got a set of Exactfit belts waiting to go on my Evo over winter. When you change yours, don't forget to check the tensioner rollers - make sure they turn freely and without any notchiness. They can, and do, wear and are often overlooked.

Re: code - cheers, I'll find someone doing that and order a kit.

Re: rollers, assume it's just a bearing pressed into a wheel? Or are they available as complete units? I need to have a read up / watch some videos on changing the belts - the gist seems to be it's not that tough as long as you do it correctly.

Luddite
02-11-2020, 04:17 PM
The fixed tensioner is a Ducati special but the moveable tensioner uses commercialy available bearings, which you can get from a bearing factor much cheaper than from Ducati.

There's some good information here:
http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=58152

As you say, there's no mystery to changing the cambelts, just take it steady and make sure you keep track of your teeth! :D

Moco1961
02-11-2020, 04:23 PM
Hello and welcome Sam.............also into cycling I am guessing ? Great example you have found there, at least you dont have snow yet so grab a few miles while you can.

velosam
02-11-2020, 04:39 PM
Hello and welcome Sam.............also into cycling I am guessing ? Great example you have found there, at least you dont have snow yet so grab a few miles while you can.

Ha, yeah if it's got 2 wheels, I'm into it. My other bike is also Italian, and steel framed, I just have to work harder to make it go fast.

velosam
02-11-2020, 04:39 PM
The fixed tensioner is a Ducati special but the moveable tensioner uses commercialy available bearings, which you can get from a bearing factor much cheaper than from Ducati.

There's some good information here:
http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=58152

As you say, there's no mystery to changing the cambelts, just take it steady and make sure you keep track of your teeth! :D

Very helpful - cheers. I'll come back to all this when I change the belts.

Doggy
02-11-2020, 05:06 PM
Hi and welcome, bike looks like new!.

Nickj
02-11-2020, 05:17 PM
Looks very nice, the 620 is miles different to the 600's in looks and performance. It'll work very well with the roads around you.

..... The only thing is there are no wheelie bins in the picture !!

velosam
02-11-2020, 05:43 PM
Hi and welcome, bike looks like new!.

Yeah, it wasn’t filthy cheap but it was so clean that I thought it was worth the asking price.

velosam
02-11-2020, 05:44 PM
Looks very nice, the 620 is miles different to the 600's in looks and performance. It'll work very well with the roads around you.

..... The only thing is there are no wheelie bins in the picture !!

Wheelie bins?!

I was also trying to get a 750 but the guy was reluctant to sell, it was silver and I’m quite glad I got this red one.

ChrisC2925
03-11-2020, 06:08 PM
Wheelie bins?!

I was also trying to get a 750 but the guy was reluctant to sell, it was silver and I’m quite glad I got this red one.

An in joke on the forum, photos awarded brownie points the more wheelie bins the better Sam:D

slob
03-11-2020, 06:17 PM
surely every bike forum, photograph your bike in front of the house and bingo!