PDA

View Full Version : Givi top box on an 1100 Evo

Uncle Bob
14-09-2020, 02:40 PM
I may get flamed for this, but here goes...

Has anyone ever experienced the Givi top box adapter kit for a Monster, particularly the 696\796\1100\Evo family?

Mrs Bob has expressed a keen interest in me getting a bike with a top box (for her comfort), however I'm less inclined to spaf ££££s on another bike than I am to spaf what looks like about £100 on the adapter bars and plate (with a borrowed Givi box) to try it.

This is what I'm referring to.

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/207105?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIv4ba3u3o6wIVTevtCh1WAAKUE AQYAyABEgL58fD_BwE

I'm still reluctant, as bike luggage is beyond ugly, however it's something worth trying I reckon. At least we'll know one way or the other!

Cheers

stopintime
14-09-2020, 06:33 PM
Isn't that kit for those who do NOT wish to use a top box?

Luddite
14-09-2020, 07:14 PM
I think stopintime is correct, Bob. Aren't those mounting brackets for soft panniers rather than a top box?

Ron1000
14-09-2020, 07:37 PM
I agree, look like soft pannier mounts. Also isn’t it illegal to mount any such devices to the very pretty evo…backpack is the way forward…or do what I do and buy an entire other bike and call it ‘donkey’ for luggage stuff 😉😉😉😉😉😉

Uncle Bob
15-09-2020, 06:06 PM
Sorry guys, the brackets in that link are only part of the kit, I meant to add another link showing the bars that you fit to those brackets in order to accommodate the plate for the top box! Doh!

Still, the point is really about the idea of a top box, even though I do agree it should be illegal! Unfortunately this is more about my pillion’s comfort than carrying luggage, and a cheaper experiment than buying a whole other bike. Obviously a Monster isn’t great for carrying passengers, it’s not really designed to be, and to be fair the Evo does a better job than some of the other bikes I’ve owned!

stopintime
15-09-2020, 07:57 PM
We'll find a way to make it illegal ;)

Maybe a Ventura kit? (with only the "sport" rack attached)(maybe add a cushion for lower back comfort)

Darren69
16-09-2020, 05:42 AM
I wouldn't think a Monster pillion could ever be comfortable, too small and narrow. Although my Corbin is a big improvement over the standard seat, it's still small and narrow but a better shape with better padding.