PDA

View Full Version : Argyll Run

alan s4
16-08-2020, 10:42 AM
https://i.postimg.cc/02KMjM2m/IMG-1123-5.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/vZW47JnZ/IMG-1124-1.jpg

Nice run around Argyll yesterday. The NC500 has been a victim of it's own success, so my usual run up to Glencoe has been ruined with all the GS riders and camper vans. The roads heading North were absolutely packed yesterday. Argyll on the other hand was completely empty. You can ride 20 miles without seeing another vehicle, perfect roads for the monster, 4th/5th gear sweepers and spectacular scenery.

1st picture was alongside Loch Long and the 2nd pic was on the ferry back from Dunoon. It's not a proper road trip unless a ferry is involved :D

ChrisC2925
16-08-2020, 12:07 PM
Nifty tail bag, where did you get that?

Doggy
16-08-2020, 07:42 PM
Nifty tail bag, where did you get that?

Looks like a oxford products one to me?

alan s4
17-08-2020, 07:53 AM
Correct! Oxford products 18L - actually a magnetic tankbag that convert to a tailpack. Bought it years ago (think it was around £50.00).

uncle duke
17-08-2020, 05:46 PM
Yeh everyone seems to be going to scotland & doing the NC500 .We did kintyre last year down to campbeltown & not an awful lot of traffic from oban & once passed Tarbert even less... finding alternative routes to the less visited parts are rewarding was planning for scotland again this year but of course that was a non starter..but holy loch & loch eck was one part that looked good .

rbt1548
17-08-2020, 06:04 PM
Totally agree Alan, roads that used to be great are hellish.
When going up to family in West coast I have started going about 06:00 when there is not much traffic, a couple of hours later and Glencoe/Rannoch can be packed.

Mark64
18-08-2020, 03:03 PM
I'm liking the taller screen - does it take much wind blast off?

Moco1961
18-08-2020, 07:36 PM
[QUOTE=alan s4;

Nice run around Argyll yesterday. The NC500 has been a victim of it's own success, so my usual run up to Glencoe has been ruined with all the GS riders and camper vans. The roads heading North were absolutely packed yesterday. Argyll on the other hand was completely empty. You can ride 20 miles without seeing another vehicle, perfect roads for the monster, 4th/5th gear sweepers and spectacular scenery:D[/QUOTE]

Great part of the world Alan, is the nc500 route really that busy? It's on the radar but maybe not at this time of year, April with thermals eh !its been too long since I ventured North of Carlisle.

alan s4
19-08-2020, 07:33 AM
I'm liking the taller screen - does it take much wind blast off?

Yes, big difference Mark. Cruising at 80ish possible bolt upright with minor buffeting. 90's OK with a slight tuck. Without the screen I found anything approaching 80 to be unpleasant!

As for the NC500, maybe it's due to staycations or maybe the recent weather, however the roads North are a nightmare. Traffic was at a standstill on Fri and Sat leaving Glasgow on the M8 all the way over the Erskine Bridge and the length of Loch Lomond. Not everyone heading for the NC, big groups of car/bike clubs though.

April-June a far better bet. Weather more likely to be dry, no midges and less traffic.

350TSS
19-08-2020, 07:57 AM
who invented midges and why?

crawsue
19-08-2020, 11:26 AM
Big problem this year has been the curse of the "Rest and be Thankful" A 83....closed again because of another land-slip..... we've been going north via Aberfoyle /Callender ,the Loch Lubnaig section is a great road, so long as you get there before the campers and coaches.The new average speed cameras are a proper pain between Lix Toll and Tyndrum....but from here to Tabert on West Loch Fyne is possibly the UK's best . Home via Loch Eck and Western Ferry.
This summer we've concentrated on Moffat, Thornhill , New Galloway and Newton Stewart.
Haven't squared-off too many tyres....

Ron1000
19-08-2020, 01:02 PM
I’m doing a tour to Durness end of this month…I’ve done it a few times before and hadn’t intended to do it again mostly because of the ‘been there done that’ factor.

But coronavirus as stopped any foreign trips so back to Durness we go.

I’ll not call the trips I do NC500 Per say as we actually just kind of follow our nose type thing....we know the roads quite well so are flexible enough to head in roughly the right direction and we’ll get there sooner or later.

That being said Glencoe is horrendous now. Not deliberately but volume of traffic and lots tourists in hire cars add up to trouble.

This year with coronavirus the NC500 has been particularly busy with campervans. It’s all over the news about the havoc they are causing. Using nature as a toilet, chopping down trees for fire wood, parking on roads, hampering locals etc etc. They’ve done themselves no favours.

Which kind of suits as there is no love lost between me and campervans.