PDA

View Full Version : Hi all Newbie from lincs.

brian900m
04-07-2020, 06:22 PM
Hi,

I'm an oldie from east Lincolnshire who has just bought his first Ducati - a 1994 Monster 900.

Since returning to bikes in my early fifties I've had a succession of bikes from those requiring complete restoration to those a bit more modern requiring little or no work.

The 900 I've just bought needs a bit of work to tidy it up - so first questions are
- is there a manual covering the early carb model Monsters and, secondly, wheres the best place for spares for same??

regards

Albie
04-07-2020, 06:41 PM
Hi,

I'm an oldie from east Lincolnshire who has just bought his first Ducati - a 1994 Monster 900.

Since returning to bikes in my early fifties I've had a succession of bikes from those requiring complete restoration to those a bit more modern requiring little or no work.

The 900 I've just bought needs a bit of work to tidy it up - so first questions are
- is there a manual covering the early carb model Monsters and, secondly, wheres the best place for spares for same??

regards
Hello and welcome. I have an early bike too. For getting to factory dealers especially helpful and a UKMOC discount Moto Rapido and quick delivery and nice to speak too. Also Stein Dinse online but you need to make sure you get an decent amount to cover postage . If not ask on here or scour the world like I do. Still nos parts out there depends on how hard and how much your prepared to get them.

Darkness
04-07-2020, 06:49 PM
Hello and welcome on board!
There are quite a few early Monsters on here.
Albie has put some effort into refurbishing his:

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=52061&highlight=Back+series

Moco1961
04-07-2020, 07:28 PM
Welcome to the forum Brian :thumbsup:

Darren69
04-07-2020, 08:01 PM
Hi and welcome. Ebay can also be a good source of parts for early bikes too. Not so much around on there as there used to be however, but its still worth setting up some searches for parts you need, you never know. A lot of the parts are common and interchangeable across years and models too.

Flip
04-07-2020, 10:56 PM
Welcome along, there are plenty of 900 and air cooled devotees here so it's a great source of help and information.

A Haynes manual is a good start as there isn't a great deal of difference between years and even many parts are inter-changeable between the capacities too.

I have one of the first editions covering model years '91-'96 but it's been fine for my 1997 900.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Haynes-Workshop-Manual-For-Ducati-600-750-and-900cc-Monster-91-96/114282570546?hash=item1a9bc5a332:g:oZQAAOSw1Pxe0ro l

Although there is a later edition now which covers the injected models up to 2004 also.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ducati-600-Monster-620-750-900-Supersport-Haynes-Manual-3290-NEW/203015530864?epid=1539246315&_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item2f44ab2970:g:5FwAAOSwGotWjNzn&amdata=enc%3DAQAFAAACcBaobrjLl8XobRIiIML1V4Imu%252 Fn%252BzU5L90Z278x5ickkrmmq8hWevtuKE7%252F%252BLfV XtpRa6%252F%252Bqm1uc0BF03xPTnlQ7p6jhf3zOaOEcR2O%2 52BUFcOjKFVCHhL4GHLcw2p4Ju1gaGtFh8ws%252BZZ%252BOr %252BdIpGyuot7Ze5U23p1XzpMlImSwSLGJ4G7nt80ly223Aya pZ8ogh0sbuzD500EQUVp42md73AJ1syp9253k4CMlxB7Qnmv%2 52FqPn4I0EGSkD7jSdDDhdDFPJcEFWzobEUgziBSt%252FDckz lIvqbbLTr4E48KehHb6VE7DdHJcGxLBSCts9osB%252FqN9%25 2FSJszXIdkzjSuQztxRg5HPm9ouSZgpJ7ic2KGHXJe5zfojQLL p4dZ%252FopOYY4fGt9G%252FR03UagRVNaAnx0nV%252F8nHV RLLqYTGfLGV%252FATjCa%252FkmVnEcdyC%252FCbA6%252BP l24Z2PWdBjNIcPHSVE6%252FPF9qxIBhCAWTcqX6gnXBqjPKjb awUtb0HrZtwabc%252B7UIBlhQrd97m40JCn9n2Q0Yk34rpZR1 gUSLiP0urAHbThBvUAouZ2THC4pquU6VJNgPeVN3QFtJGyKK10 T5D7fv0f04%252BZq8MrvXUJxbcA6JlOZG%252FPfK5woSOiWd 0C%252BKn0N9SSpNgn9LrwBoUC1yp5PH4quoJxNijZQio0qoWa 9NGqsN47vOzMNb5LoUrdxOd9BlPw6SzCFPCfBptj%252BzMzix Uv%252FNQOmfWzXiqe7ePMUbaVDqiW9Mgmz0Vw3I6UMvhUhFMJ jfxYKICS1hErwA5WHRMynnCVOPGQV2bkZtZCCKmLlv21%252Ba gDbIAmXX8m9PCJvgwJN%252Bw%253D%253D%26cksum%3D2030 15530864202ff3a5062849b18bf76648550b8f93%26ampid%3 DPL_CLK%26clp%3D2334524

Grumpy
04-07-2020, 11:04 PM
Welcome aboard!

brian900m
05-07-2020, 08:41 AM
Many thanks for the greetings chaps - and for suggestions for manual and parts sources.

Albie - that's a real lovely restoration - if mine looks anywhere as good when I'm finished I'll be happy.

mickj
05-07-2020, 08:57 AM
Welcome to the forum Brian. :thumbsup:

chris.p
05-07-2020, 10:16 AM
Welcome from a fellow Yellowbelly:thumbsup:

Flip
05-07-2020, 02:02 PM
As the others have said Moto Rapido will get many parts to you almost before you have ordered them :D and eBay will become your friend if you are looking for 'period' modification parts but some are getting stupidly expensive.

As with any older motorcycle the main issues that cause problems are age related and in the twenty years I've owned my 900 it is the effects of Ethanol in modern fuel that causes problems, particularly the Vacuum fuel pump.

In addition, a lot of the wires were already of marginal cross section for the expected current- typical examples are the yellow wires from the alternator and the red ones going to the 30A 'Maxi' Charging Fuse under the fuel tank. Both of these are something like 14AWG (at best) whereas to be capable of carrying 30A they should be at least 10AWG, couple this with oxidisation in the crimps means they can get hot and begin to melt the insulation.

We look forward to seeing pictures...we like pictures here :D

Darren69
05-07-2020, 03:49 PM
Like Flip says the Haynes SS/Monster manual is ok for most things. You may find factory workshop manuals are also available on CD from ebay for about £10 usually. Most wiring is usually adequate but like he also mentions the alternator wiring is a known weakness and if I were building a bike like yours I would replace all the yellow wiring and plugs from the alternator with something more capable of handling the current without melting.

The battery starter leads are also another issue where replacing with better quality wires will make starting much easier. You can probably find something suitable in Halfords but more expensive specific Ducati model kits are available from Exact Start or similar.

brian900m
05-07-2020, 06:07 PM
Many thanks again for all the very useful comments - i'll post a pic of the bike shortly

Ummm now, How do I post a pic here - my pic is held in a photo folder in Word??

Darren69
06-07-2020, 06:32 AM
Yoiu need to use a photo hosting site like Post Image or if you have a Photo Bucket paid account you can use that, the free one doesn't work anymore. Most on here, including myself are using Post Image now.

https://postimages.org/

You don't even need an account set up to upload and post, but you can keep your images online if you do and it's free.

brian900m
06-07-2020, 09:20 AM
This should be a picture of my bike - thanks Darren

https://postimg.cc/BXTF8YHv

Luddite
06-07-2020, 09:23 AM
Very nice!

https://i.postimg.cc/vHjtNCm5/Monster-5-july.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

(Use the "hotlink for forums" to get the picture itself in your post.)

Darren69
06-07-2020, 11:14 AM
If you click the Share button then copy the Hotlink for forums and paste it here, it will do this: -

https://i.postimg.cc/vHjtNCm5/Monster-5-july.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

Darren69
06-07-2020, 11:16 AM
Looks nice. Standard pretty much and not messed about with. Mirrors and bars are all I can spot. And you should have a seat cowl?

Albie
06-07-2020, 12:01 PM
I have a spare set of genuine mirrors for sale if you need. One mirror glass has a black spot on edge though but not something that affects view. I also have a set of brand new unused aftermarket not so accurate copies in the cupboard.

Mr Gazza
06-07-2020, 12:35 PM
Hello and welcome Brian.

That doesn't look like it will present too many headaches to tidy up and make a very nice bike.

If you're going for concours (and we have a trophy for that now if you bring your winner to the Weekender rally.) I notice that you have at least one very coveted and rare part. I can see that the silencer on the right side has no chamfer on the lower leading edge, as was added to all the later bikes for ground clearance. If the left one is the same you have a winning full house!
You also have the early hugger which is not so common either.

Unfortunately the rear "tea tray" (below the tail light) seems to have been chopped off, hopefully the frame is intact beneath it though. The number plate holder/mudguard is missing too, but neither the tea tray or holder are too hard to find in good nick.

Somebody seems to have put some extra holes in the footrest hanger, but they could be just stickers? Footrest hangars are generic to all the Monsters into the noughties, so they shouldn't be too hard to find if needs be either. They ALWAYS need re-painting in any case!

I'm not sure if they were sent out with the badge sloping downwards on the tank, I thought the logo was always horizontal, but wouldn't swear to it. It could indicate a non-original paint job, which again is not insurmountable and not a problem at all if you're not bothered about originality. Also I think it might be too early for Black? I thought they were all red initially until the Yellow ones appeared, but don't quote me.
Early tanks also had a visible seam running round the filler cap area. I don't have a picture but I'm sure Albie could oblige?

Great bike though, I hope you get many pleasurable miles from it.

I use https://imgbb.com/ for pictures btw, I find it simpler that postimage. You just paste the "BBCode fully linked" to make your picture appear on your post.

Darren69
06-07-2020, 12:56 PM
Black was an option in '94 apparently but the wheels should also be black too I think. The bronze 916 colour frame and wheels was a '95 update.

Albie
06-07-2020, 02:29 PM
Decal could be right it may well be the angle . They are not exactly horizontal but almost level with the fuel cap platform. If the holes in footrest holder could be tapped and plugged before painting would be a good idea. Bars aftermarket but bar ends could be right. You at least have the oil level plate. Side panel decals get from Image Works.images on my thread no doubt. There was a number plate mount on here a few months ago was it Bitza..
They are not wear dots on hangers are they. Seems if not there is a slot inbetween mount bolts.

Darkness
06-07-2020, 03:08 PM
Black was an option in '94 apparently but the wheels should also be black too I think. The bronze 916 colour frame and wheels was a '95 update.

Black, Dark, Yellow and Red tanks are all listed on the ‘94 model parts fiche, as are Gold, Silver, Red and Black coloured wheels.
The gloss black bikes are fairly unusual, but it wouldn’t surprise me if they came from the factory with gold coloured wheels.

Darren69
06-07-2020, 03:40 PM
Black, Dark, Yellow and Red tanks are all listed on the ‘94 model parts fiche, as are Gold, Silver, Red and Black coloured wheels.
The gloss black bikes are fairly unusual, but it wouldn’t surprise me if they came from the factory with gold coloured wheels.

They must have cross referenced the fiche parts with compatable years for earlier models as the Dark models didn't come out until much later (in 1998 I think). The non-chamfered exhausts suggests it's could be an early 94 as the later ones had chamfered exhausts. there was a mixture of the 2 types until 95.

Don't know about the wheels as I looked in up in Monster Bible which said Bronze was new for '95 model year, suggesting earlier years would be black only. '94 900 Supersports had Bronze wheelsiand they were the same wheels so it could be wearing SS wheels or just what they had laying around at that time they as they were in financial doo doo?

brian900m
06-07-2020, 05:59 PM
Many many thanks for the responses - I'm a bit overwhelmed! I haven't actually got the bike yet (being delivered on Friday) so can't answer all the points raised, however I'm sure there are a number of non standard items especially after 25years of various owners, but one of the reasons I bought it was that it wasn't too far from standard! I intend to get the bike back to original specification so shall no doubt be asking many questions of you experts.

brian900m
06-07-2020, 06:34 PM
A few more pics (I hope)!

https://postimg.cc/1gDcjXFm
https://postimg.cc/z3GKn0xX
https://postimg.cc/WtdtNK9r
https://postimg.cc/3W0J5GRF
https://postimg.cc/NyLv8h2k
https://postimg.cc/hzxwMKDT

spuggy
06-07-2020, 06:53 PM
Welcome Brian!

You may find factory workshop manuals are also available on CD from ebay for about £10 usually.

Carl Salter. Probably the same manuals, but free download.

They've got a 1994 Monster workshop manual, but it's in German. Some of the links don't identify market/year/language - so you may have to open it to see what it is/if its close enough to be worth downloading.

I couldn't find a 2001 S4 parts catalog there though - had to snag that from somewhere else.

350TSS
06-07-2020, 07:16 PM
Looks like all you got to do is a bit of engine paint re-finishing - nice bike

Darren69
06-07-2020, 08:04 PM
Always with the engine paint on these but it does actually appear to be better stuff than what they used on the later bikes at least on my '97 it wasn't scabby with blisters coming off.

I looked at the factory production figures just now and the black 900 is not so rare as there appear to have been over 400 made and exported that year to Europe and a similar number to the US but none appear to have been exported to the Uk so that may account for it being uncommon. Maybe it is a euro import as there were a lot made for Germany/Swiss markets?

brian900m
06-07-2020, 08:54 PM
Nothing showed up on HPI check Darren - but that doesn't necessarily mean much I suppose? Previous owner stated it was a UK supplied bike - is there a way to check??

Thanks 350 - any idea what the paint colour/code is for the engine cases?

350TSS
06-07-2020, 10:21 PM
Albie is your man for paint codes and that kind of stuff.
I painted mine with Simonize wheel paint, after days of getting the old stuff off with a brass wire brush, rubbing down with 600 grit W&D, then a coat of 2K etch primer then "Anthracite - nearly black dark grey - but the standard silver wheel paint is also pretty good

Albie
07-07-2020, 05:14 AM
Nothing showed up on HPI check Darren - but that doesn't necessarily mean much I suppose? Previous owner stated it was a UK supplied bike - is there a way to check??

Thanks 350 - any idea what the paint colour/code is for the engine cases?

I used simoniz Matt aluminium engine enamel with acrylic lacquer on my cases.

Darren69
07-07-2020, 05:54 AM
Heres a link to the list I was referring to previously: -

https://sites.google.com/site/infoage1/ducati-links-list/ducati-monster-production-distribution-table

Someone else on here posted this a while back. I don't know where the numbers have come from or how accurate they are but I can only assume they must have come from someone at the Ducati factory.

I noticed that someone with the details below posted a list of the 916 production figures on another forum: -
FRANCESCA SOLA
Customer Service
Ducati Motor Holding Spa
Borgo Panigale - Italy
www.ducati.com

Darkness
07-07-2020, 08:01 AM
....I looked at the factory production figures just now and the black 900 is not so rare as there appear to have been over 400 made and exported that year to Europe and a similar number to the US but none appear to have been exported to the Uk so that may account for it being uncommon. Maybe it is a euro import as there were a lot made for Germany/Swiss markets?

Don’t forget that back then there were a lot of “parallel” imports that didn’t come to the UK via Moto Cinneli, the “Official” importer, some of which were obtained from dealers in Europe.

A check of the logbook may give clues as the importer is sometimes mentioned where it states the bike was new when imported.

brian900m
07-07-2020, 10:17 AM
Thanks chaps for the replies.

I'll do some checking on year of manufacture and see if the V5 makes any mention of original 'owner'. Not that I'm too bothered - I just love the bike anyway!

Looks like first job is to get the engine cases off and some elbow grease applied.

brian900m
13-07-2020, 05:45 PM
As a newcomer to Monster ownership I'll be asking some silly questions! And here's the first - there's a rattle from the engine from the clutch area I think. Rattle disappears when clutch is pulled in and is not there when the bike is in gear. Is this usual, is the engine going to blow up.....

Luddite
13-07-2020, 05:50 PM
Congratulations! You are the proud owner of a Ducati dry clutch.

Does it sound like the standard one here at 1:53?

Hul1BEts_DM

brian900m
13-07-2020, 06:07 PM
That's it Luddite - many thanks. Good to know its normal - had a (sssssshhh) Honda once that use to have a rattly clucth - "they all do that sir".

slob
13-07-2020, 06:43 PM
http://m.quickmeme.com/img/78/7898cc4478ec932539f1ec88408569ab373a3ffa648227292b b26afd84ce151f.jpg

brian900m
13-07-2020, 07:17 PM
Like it Slob! I'm sure I'll be posting a few more silly questions.

brian900m
17-07-2020, 02:03 PM
First time out on the bike - 2 things struck me - i) how useless the aftermarket mirrors are and ii) I do miss having a rev counter! Anyone fitted an aftermarket one??

Things I need to do to the bike for my own satisfaction:
i) replace the rhs footrest hanger as the pillion footrest mount is broken
ii) get various items coated i.e. footrest hangers and engine cases
iii) clean and buff up the exhaust pipes
iv) possibly replace brake lines with either new standard hoses or stainless braided type
v) general tidy up/clean
vi) get some new standard mirrors!!

Have full service carried out either by myself or Ducati dealers as no serice history came with the bike although the precious owner (who runs a smakll engineering firm) said he'd carried out a belt and oil change.

Darkness
17-07-2020, 02:52 PM
First time out on the bike - 2 things struck me - i) how useless the aftermarket mirrors are and ii) I do miss having a rev counter! Anyone fitted an aftermarket one??

Standard mirrors are really only good for checking that your elbows are still there. I had a pair of Ducati Scrambler mirrors fitted on one of mine and the extra width of the lenses meant you could see behind yourself too! Needed LH/RH thread adaptors to fit though.

https://i.postimg.cc/zXyJxcyk/IMG-6535.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

The M900 engine is the same as the 900SS, which had a rev counter as standard. The Monster has a blanked off hole in the front head for the mechanical drive, but they didn’t fit the worm drive cog on the camshaft. Check though as you could be lucky and find Ducati or a previous owner did fit one. A rev counter and cable from the SS would work well with a custom bracket.

Otherwise, there are electronic tachometers which take their drive from one of the ignition boxes. There are limited numbers of period RoadRacing and Ducati Performance upgrades that come up for sale periodically, but bear in mind these are twenty year old items, some of which had dubious quality control in the first place.

Otherwise there are plenty of new race tachos which can be modded to fit.

Personally I’ve never felt the need for a rev counter on the Monster, just keep changing up early and ride the torque curve!

Worth searching for rev counter and tacho threads on here. You aren’t the first to fancy one.

brian900m
17-07-2020, 04:36 PM
Many thanks for your comments Darkness - much appreciated.

With the current mirrors I can only see my arms - had to rigidly stick to speed limits just in case Mr Plod was behind me! I'll have a chat with my nearest Ducati dealer - see what they've got to say.

Maybe its just a case of getting use to not having a rev counter after every previous bike I've had having one. I'll have to get out and about a bit more and get used to the bike then make up my mind.

Darkness
17-07-2020, 04:46 PM
This is one shape of RoadRacing “Upgrade” that was available new back in the 90s.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DUCATI-MONSTER-SS-SPEEDO-TAHO-CLOCKS/114262172326?hash=item1a9a8e62a6:g:1dkAAOSwE25e6Pw U

It would look better if you swapped your white faced speedo into it.

brian900m
21-07-2020, 03:56 PM
Back again with another silly question - should the frame and engine numbers match ?

I'm sure this has been asked before but I couldn't find anything after a search.

Albie
21-07-2020, 04:11 PM
Back again with another silly question - should the frame and engine numbers match ?

I'm sure this has been asked before but I couldn't find anything after a search.

Mine dont.

brian900m
21-07-2020, 05:35 PM
Thanks Albie.

I shall be tidying up my bike in stages and mainly over the winter - if it looks half as good as yours I'll be happy!

Darkness
21-07-2020, 07:17 PM

The same engines were used in the 900SS, so matching numbers would be very suspicious!

brian900m
02-08-2020, 10:20 AM
I've decided to strip the bike down and give it a refresh! Why - well having ridden it and parked up there was smoke coming from underside of the engine! On investigation it appears there's oil coming from somewhere from the front cylinder which had dripped down onto the hot exhaust pipe.

Now, I'm no Ducati buff, but thought their engines were oil tight? It looks like the oil is coming from the cylinder head joint but cant be sure so as I shall be removing the engine for a better look and thought I might as well go the whole hog and strip the bike down completely.

Has anyone else experienced an similar oil leak?

350TSS
02-08-2020, 10:38 AM
Before stripping it I would check the oil filter which can sometimes leak (even proper Ducati ones) and could drip onto the exhaust. Also the oil cooler unions/pipes may be the culprit.
If you are stripping then you will need a socket/spanner that can get the head nuts off/torqued up again

brian900m
02-08-2020, 03:49 PM
Leak isn't from the filter or unions 350 - seems to be from the head/barrel area. After further stripping of the bike I've noticed that there appears to be an oil leakage from one of the rear cylinder head studs as well!

Darren69
03-08-2020, 05:47 AM
Could be broken head studs? A common problem with those 900s

brian900m
04-08-2020, 10:20 AM
Thanks Darren - for a 26yr old bike with numerous previous owners I guessed I'd come across some odd bit of trouble. Having said that its not in bad condition for 25,000 miles. Shall be removing the engine and stripping the bike to get the frame repainted so it will give me a chance to inspect the engine more closely.

pooh
04-08-2020, 11:18 AM
Hi Brian
welcome to the fraternity look forward to meeting up sometime I have the Haynes manual which covers pretty much all of the early monsters.

pooh
04-08-2020, 11:22 AM
Brian
probably the o ring at the bottom of the rear cylinder on the clutch side or as previously said it could be a snapped stud but iv'e usually found them on the horizontal cylinder.

brian900m
04-08-2020, 06:24 PM
Hi Pooh

Thanks for the offer but I've already invested in a Haynes manual - and its already got greasy paw marks on it!

You could well be right about the cylinder studs - the previous owner did mention that he'd replaced a couple. Did wonder whether he's missed off any O rings - we shall see!

Yes - have to meet up sometime when I get the bike finished !