PDA

View Full Version : Oil filter not sealing

MotoNik
12-05-2020, 09:53 AM
Hi Folks,

Since recommissioning my M600 I've done maybe 50-60 miles over the last couple of weeks. I noticed this morning that the oil filter is leaking. It's obviously been getting progressively worse, as there is some evidence of oil having dripped onto the exhaust, and the underside of the engine.

I took the filter off and the seal looks fine. I ran my finger around the sealing surface on the engine, and couldn't feel anything untoward. Put it back on and did it up tight (by hand). It felt like it was doing all the way up to a stop, but as if perhaps the seal wasn't compressing. I started the engine, and sure enough, it started dripping again.

1996 M600, genuine Ducati filter.

Does anyone have any experience of anything like this happenings?

Thanks in advance!

Luddite
12-05-2020, 10:07 AM
Presumably, you rubbed some oil onto the rubber gasket before fitting the new filter?

Leaking OE filters are certainly not unheard of. I had a genuine Ducati filter start leaking on my Evo, (but after a couple-of-thousand miles not straightaway like yours). Tightening it failed to stop the leak so I replaced it with a K&N KN-153, which has a hexagon on the top to enable accurate tightening, (to 11Nm as per the manual). No leaks since and I'm about to fit my third K&N.

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showpost.php?p=541955

Whether you go for K&N or OE, just make sure you get a genuine example as there are cheap counterfeits out there.

Mr Gazza
12-05-2020, 10:35 AM
I've seen this problem before with genuine Ducati filters, where the rolled steel rim is too tall to let the seal compress properly. Or maybe the rubber is not thick enough? Either way there is a height deficit!

This is a historical fault and I would have though that all the faulty ones were long gone, but clearly some still keep surfacing!

I use K&N with no problems, barring the hexagon coming adrift occasionally when I try to remove the filter with a spanner.. No problem really as I just whack a screwdriver through it.

Bitza
16-05-2020, 09:29 PM
Me too, genuine Ducati filter leaked replaced with K&N one, end of problem! Bitza.

Christy
22-05-2020, 12:02 PM
I had the same problem on my early 900. The rim of the filter bottoms out before the seal can do it's job. I use Champion filters as they have a thick sealing ring.

Ron1000
22-05-2020, 01:10 PM
I had one on my Evo yeeeeeears ago, I just use K&N or Hi-flo now