PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Glasgow - First Ducati, a low miles 2011, Monster 1100.

Mr George
14-01-2020, 07:40 PM
Hello everyone- new to the forum and to this amazing bike and whilst I won't be able to give out much useful information on them for a while, I hope I can get some from the experts!
Not been out on it much since I bought it given time of year - 30 miles covered only, well it is January in Scotland! - and can't wait for Spring as so far, I am blown away by it, having never had a twin. ( Been on a GSXR 750 K5 for last 2 years)

One thing that does freak me out slightly so far is the sidestand - the lean is very very scary! Is there any way other than buying a £120 replacement forged out of aluminium billet from the USA from The Bay to have it stand a bit more upright? And feel a bit less likely to topple over expensively!

All replies very welcome!

Thanks!

Ron1000
14-01-2020, 07:43 PM
Hello mr George. Mine leans over far too, never fell yet so I’d ignore

Mr George
14-01-2020, 07:45 PM
Good to know, cheers Ron!

Grumpy
14-01-2020, 09:11 PM
Welcome aboard!
I wouldn't concern yourself about the side stand...' They all do that' !

If you fancy a nimble south, we hold an annual bash called the 'Weekender' in May.
It's a weekend of bikes, food and run outs, oh, the odd sherbet!

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=57860

350TSS
14-01-2020, 09:20 PM
Or simply cut a piece of 10mm aluminium plate to match the footprint of the bit of the stand that sits on the ground the drill a 6mm hole through it and countersink it, then drill a 5mm hole in the bottom of the stand and tap it 6mm and with a 6mm csk allen screw bolt the two together, alleviating the angle of dangle

Mr George
14-01-2020, 09:26 PM
Thanks Grumpy, might be worrying to much! And given I'm partial to the odd sherbert, will check that weekend out! Appreciate it.

Mr George
14-01-2020, 09:28 PM
Or simply cut a piece of 10mm aluminium plate to match the footprint of the bit of the stand that sits on the ground the drill a 6mm hole through it and countersink it, then drill a 5mm hole in the bottom of the stand and tap it 6mm and with a 6mm csk allen screw bolt the two together, alleviating the angle of dangle
Nice and simple idea 350SS, cheers! Even with my spannering skills I could manage that I think!

Uncle Bob
15-01-2020, 08:07 AM
Hello and welcome.

mickj
15-01-2020, 09:09 AM
Welcome to the forum George :thumbsup:, my MZ 1000 suffers from the same lean angle so I just araldited a half inch piece of hardwood to the bottom of the stand shaved to fit in with the base plate and painted it black. Been on there for 6 years now.

Skeldy
20-01-2020, 04:35 PM
Welcome Mr George. I'm 6 months in with my first Monster, which so far has been mix of joy and challenge. Seems to be the norm round here. Let's say, they're beautiful when they're working.