PDA

View Full Version : plz help, how serious is this?

manc skank
21-03-2004, 10:10 AM
hi peeps,

my bike was delivered on saturday and i have been out to talk to her and see how she has been settling in every day.

this morning i was giving her a full inspection, check for loose wires, nuts, anything out of the ordinary, when i found this!

a very slight oil leak, which appears to be comng from the sump... can anyone shed some light on how serious this is isnt? i am taking her in for a full service in the week...

help!
rick.

johnypebs
21-03-2004, 10:24 AM
First check if the sump plug is done up tightly, you shouldn't have oil dripping off the case like that. Your picture doesn't show the source of the leak but if it isn't the sump plug or the screen filter being loose see if it's coming down from the gearbox sprocket seal.

manc skank
21-03-2004, 10:29 AM
thanks for the reply, ill go check now.

johnypebs
21-03-2004, 10:33 AM
Manc, I just had a look under my S4 for comparison and it seems you may have a crankcase screw missing. Check if what you have to the left of the oil drip in your picture is the head of an Allen screw or an empty hole!

manc skank
21-03-2004, 10:46 AM
checked the filter and the sump plug, nothing seems loose...

took some more pics, maybe these are better?

ill go downstairs again and check for any missing crank case screws.

manc skank
21-03-2004, 10:47 AM
other pic, the leak seems to be coming from perhaps the sump plug or the filter, or both???

maybe?

superlight3
21-03-2004, 10:49 AM
A common oil leak on Ducati's comes from a blanking plug in the crankcase behind the starter motor. Oil slowly seeps out from the thread and collects under and around the oil filter.

Stick some rag or tissue behind the starter motor and see if there's any sign of oil there.

Cheers.

Lee.

A Yerbury
21-03-2004, 11:54 AM
from those pics it could be from anywhere! seriously though wipe it all dry and try and isolate leak. Its tedious dirty dull work but you should find it eventually. patience!
often when people sell bikes they cant be arsed spending a few quid -and it is a few quid- replacing o rings/seals/gaskets etc mine was missing 3! Its also a good oportunity to take things apart and have a good old nose around.
sorry if I sounds like I'm stating the obvious!

manc skank
21-03-2004, 12:16 PM
thanks for the replies guys. i think im just being a worrywart, i couldnt find any oil behind the starter motor and have given the area a clean and will check again later.
first suspicion is the sump plug, not too serious.

i think im just being overly concerned because when i bought the bike i didnt even check the indicators worked, saw it, heard it and the brain went into neanderthal mode ...must.....have....it...

:D besides how expensive could it be to fix........

spacemonkey
21-03-2004, 08:23 PM
" besides how expensive could it be to fix......"

Ah, the innocence.....

gary tompkins
21-03-2004, 08:56 PM
Looks like the middle of the sump plugs a bit knackered from the photo, so you or the dealer might have a bit of fun getting it undone.

If it is chewed up make sure you get a new one fitted at the service. It's worth using a good quality key and and correct torque wrench setting on them, as they are pretty soft and a sod to get out if rounded off.

A Yerbury
21-03-2004, 08:56 PM
manc skanky sump surely?

steviej
21-03-2004, 10:32 PM
Alex Yerbury, one TOP bloke....... is your 'ead in bits o'wot ar' kid..

Pedro
22-03-2004, 12:20 PM
Goie Middag Manc

(is that right? Got a customer in Modderfontain trying to teach me Afrikaans!)

The leak maybe caused by the sump plug crush washer not being replaced. It's made of ally and is designed for one use only. I forgot to change mine so used the old one and got a minor leak!

Ped

A Yerbury
22-03-2004, 02:01 PM
some metal bits in my head.........

manc skank
22-03-2004, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by Pedro
Goie Middag Manc

(is that right? Got a customer in Modderfontain trying to teach me Afrikaans!)

The leak maybe caused by the sump plug crush washer not being replaced. It's made of ally and is designed for one use only. I forgot to change mine so used the old one and got a minor leak!

Ped

bwhahaha!! ja, Goeie middag!! spot on Pedro!!
heh, made my day :D

thanks for the tip, i figured it was the sump plug + a bit of over reacting on my part :p

M900Dom
26-03-2004, 12:56 AM
My Moneys on Lee being right:D
If you look at the pictures, the oil trail starts forward of the Filter and the filler plug;)
Unless you often ride in reverse, then it has to be coming from forward of the filter:D

That means Oil cooler and/or oil unions front Right of crank cases Unlikely unless they have been off recently,
Or.....

That lovely little blanking plug behind the starter:mad:
On the S4 its not so bad, as its got an Allen headed plug, you should try the early alloy plug removal for a "Real fun time":rolleyes: NOT
Absolute bugger of a job, just done mine.
LH side case off, Starter motor off, lots of heat and a Snap on Stud extractor set, oh and HUGE amounts of Swearing and throwing things around;) :eek: :D

New one goes back in with 648, so I never have to do it again:D :D
HTH
Dom

manc skank
26-03-2004, 06:20 AM
thanks for the reply, :rolleyes: eesh... its booked in for a service at ital-sport in two weeks so, hopefuly get it sorted then!