PDA

View Full Version : Rear jack up....?

JAYNEYT
19-03-2004, 03:29 PM
Hi

Can anyone give me any advice on jacking up the rear end?

I have put high level exhausts on and when my other half sits on the bike and bounces it a bit the exhausts are catching on the carbon hugger.

It doesn't appear to be too bad with me on it but it would probably catch if I went over a bump.

I don't want to raise it too much as I can't put my flat feet down as it is.

Any advice?

Much appreciated.

M900Dom
19-03-2004, 03:50 PM
Sounds like you need to increase the preload on the spring rather than jack up the rear;)

A PITA :(
But made easier with a Preload spanner from Performance suspension (M&P and Demon theives stock them)
Takes a 3/8 drive extension or ratchet.
Take the seat off, prop the tank up and feed the spanner on the end of the Extension down beside the shock, then you can tighten it up from above, still not easy but better than using a screwdriver and a hammer like most people do:rolleyes:
Its made easier still by taking the weight off the shock & rear wheel, you can do it yourself, but its easier with someone else tipping the bike up on the side stand, cant use a paddock stand as this is still loading the shock :D
HTH
Dom

crust
19-03-2004, 03:51 PM
which type of rear suspension have you got?

is it the U shaped link halfway down the swinginig arm?

or is it a single rod by the rear shock?

you sure you've got the exhausts right, cos jacking the rear normally involves 10 - 20 mm of movement at most and will make the bike turn a lot quicker.

It can also give you tankslappers/wobbles.

:) Crust

JAYNEYT
19-03-2004, 04:15 PM
My bikes got a u shaped link on it and a yellow shocker (sorry I know i'm thick)

The exhausts are definately on right as they came with brackets etc etc.

Im not sure what you mean by 10-20mm of movement??? (sorry only passed my test last year)

What are tank slappers and wobbles too?

crust
19-03-2004, 04:59 PM
I'll pm you my phone number, there's a lot to type to describe what to do.

plus there's downsides to jacking up the rear.

The exhaust brackets should point out at about 45 degrees, see if you can bend them out a bit to get the clearance.

John Munn
13-05-2004, 02:50 PM
What is the down side to adj the ride height ?

crust
13-05-2004, 02:57 PM
there are two obvious downsides to jacking up the rear

1, if you screw the joint/s too far out there's a possibility of it failing, ie not enough thread left in the rod/arch

2, by jacking up the rear you steepen the angle of the forks, whilst on the one hand it speeds up the steering, on the other hand it could make it unstable and liable to wobbles/tank slappers.

If you go too far it also causes the chain to run on the top of the swinging arm which affects the handling, wears out the protective cover and knackers the arm.