PDA

View Full Version : Blown fuse...

Goofle
30-08-2019, 08:35 PM
I went out on my early m900 this afternoon, 75 miles or so. As I pulled up back at home the engine stopped - no electric anywhere. No lights, horn, and definitely no starter. Easily sorted, the 30A fuse has blown. Quick swap and all is well.
I’m curious as to how though. What’s caused it to blow, especially when the engine was running and warm? The starter wasn’t working, the horn ditto. The indicators definitely weren’t being used (no relay), so the most would be brake light and headlight.
Any ideas?

Ron1000
30-08-2019, 09:24 PM
On idea tbh.

My 10A dash fuse went. Never had any bother before or since and no fault codes. Weird one

Dukedesmo
30-08-2019, 09:58 PM
Vibration, corrosion/heat?

My Son's car had the ABS fuse link break, I think it was just age/corrosion/vibration as it just looked old.

Make sure the contacts in the holder are clean and tight...

Flip
31-08-2019, 03:19 PM
I would need to look to see where exactly that fuse is in the circuit but I would say, yes it could just have been a flukey thing due to age but 30amps in a Maxi fuse package is a fairly chunky thing to just break.

If you can be sure nothing has vibrated loose around the battery/starter relay and touched ground I think I would check over the regulator/rectifier and alternator wiring just in case there is anything amiss there.

I always have a spare one (along with the main yellow relay) tucked away under the seat- just in case.

Moco1961
31-08-2019, 06:02 PM
Ian, bring a spare tomorrow !, I sense with you and adie's we may be in for a fun time !