PDA

View Full Version : And another thing.......

capnjapseye
19-03-2004, 12:10 PM
Assuming I get the new bike "soon" - is it a bad thing to fit the aftermarket cans (Sil Carbon) straight way? Will this affect the running in etc?:confused:

spacemonkey
19-03-2004, 10:21 PM
If it causes the bike to run lean it definitely won't do you any favours! Probably to leave it be initially. Say, first 1000 miles or 2??? Got to be worth waiting for the long term prospects..

capnjapseye
20-03-2004, 07:48 AM
Thanks for the advice. Is it OK to run the bike with the cans, say after 1000 miles, without any further mods (chip / ignition settings)?

superlight3
20-03-2004, 08:20 AM
If you're going to put open silencers onto an M1000ie then you have to have the ECU reprogrammed to richen-up the mixture else you run the risk of burning out the exhaust valves in the medium to long term.

Unlike previous Ducati models, you can't just plug in a new chip, it has to be connected to the diognostics computer to be reprogrammed. Best to get the airbox opened up at the same time and run a free-flow (K&N etc) airfilter to make best use of the cans.

Cheers.

Lee.

capnjapseye
20-03-2004, 08:35 AM
Lee

Where, in the South West (I'm in Cornwall) could I get this work done?

Bunny
20-03-2004, 08:36 AM
Riders at Bridgwater is probably the closest to you

capnjapseye
20-03-2004, 08:50 AM
Thanks - I've been there b4 - its about 150 miles from here.

spacemonkey
20-03-2004, 08:59 AM
Ah, at least after having this done the caravanners will hear you...!

Lee, how long should he wait to do the mods from new? Am I right in thinking it's best to run it in in 'low tune' or am I paranoid?

johnypebs
20-03-2004, 09:01 AM
Paul,
in 1979 I was a mechanic at David Paul motorcycles at Blackwater, on the Truro to Redruth road. At that time we had two full time machinists who rebored blocks and barrels and ground crankshafts while David had his own tuning company in the same premises. I don't know if it's still there but it's not as far away from you as Bridgewater.

capnjapseye
20-03-2004, 09:11 AM
I haven't heard of David Paul Motorcycles. At Blackwater now there is D Kendall Mtorcycles, they are at Four Burrows, Blackwater, near Truro. This is only 20 miles from me. Do you reckon that sort of setup would have the necessary kit?

By the way, why move from Cornwall to Ayr?

johnypebs
20-03-2004, 11:56 AM
I'd say it's worth a look, certainly a nice wee Sunday run for you. There wasn't much else in Blackwater when I worked at DP's other than the pub across the road (where I got my daily nasty pasty) and a caravan site at the top of it, but that was quarter of a century ago. I went there because I followed a crazy girl I was in love with who was a nurse at Treliske. It all ended in tears a year later in Plymouth, havn't been back since.

CK & AK
20-03-2004, 01:17 PM
There is also a great bike mech at the m/c shop in Bude - in the industrial Estate - they do Ducati's too. Cant remember the name of the outfit, but give me a couple of days.

C