PDA

View Full Version : How about a Peak District ride?

Martin C
12-07-2019, 01:14 PM
I live just south of Derby and would be happy to guide a small group of 'bikes around some of my favourite Peak District roads (mostly lesser-known hilly twisties not frequented by the sportsbike loons). It's about a 5 to 6 hours circuit including several essential coffee/snack/comfort breaks, and is definitely not a fast route, but good fun (and in a few places slightly challenging). My M900 is ideal solo for this ride, but I've also done it on my ST4 with pillion (she's very good).

For anyone interested in coming from farther afield I could if necessary provide some overnight sleeping spaces before and/or after. My preference would be a weekday, but I'm not ruling out a weekend. Dry weather is of course essential!

Anyone potentially interested is very welcome to contact me by replying to this post.

Moco1961
13-07-2019, 06:04 AM
Hey Martin,

The answer is a resounding yes please, by chance Utopia and I very briefly mused a meet up in the Peaks when we last spoke so we have the first box ticked.... interest.... Now we need a plan!:thumbsup:

Can you give some clues as to your route and we can decide a meeting place please, we will be coming from the West, I am almost suggesting chatsworth area to meet if it's on your route ?.

Regards the day, Sunday's are favourite if that suits, :thumbsup:

Rrawlings
13-07-2019, 06:09 AM
Date depending I would be up for this. I do a run from home over to Glossop and around that are so a day in the peaks sounds good. Plus I’ve not seen anything in Yorkshire meet wise on here so be good to meet others.

Moco1961
13-07-2019, 06:15 AM
....morning Ryan, brilliant, if Martin has a circular route there is an opportunity for folk to join along the way, are you good at influencing the weather!:spin:

Martin C
13-07-2019, 11:12 AM
I've just spent 20 minutes typing a reply only to be kicked out, so here goes again (with less detail)!

I can certainly do some Sundays if planned, but always dependent on no rain for this trip!

A52 from Derby past Ashbourne and A523 towards Leek; right onto B5053 to longnor (cafe stop); A5270 & B6049 to A6187; then either left to Castleton for lunch and return or simply right onto A6187 then left onto A6013; then right onto (briefly) A57 and left on lanes across Strines Moor (best bit!) to Midhopestones; left on A628 and left onto B6105 to Glossop; then A624 to Chapel-en-le Frith; A6 to Buxton; A515 to Ashboune, A52 towards home.

damien666
13-07-2019, 03:05 PM
I’m originally from just over the hill from the strines road. I quite often visit from Leeds, via penistone/ strines road end or Glossop way.
I was out with my dad last week (him on his smokey Silk two stroke!), and ended up at Monsal Head. What a view, with a Bradwells ice cream for good measure!

ChrisC2925
13-07-2019, 04:26 PM
I've just spent 20 minutes typing a reply only to be kicked out, so here goes again (with less detail)!

I can certainly do some Sundays if planned, but always dependent on no rain for this trip!

A52 from Derby past Ashbourne and A523 towards Leek; right onto B5053 to longnor (cafe stop); A5270 & B6049 to A6187; then either left to Castleton for lunch and return or simply right onto A6187 then left onto A6013; then right onto (briefly) A57 and left on lanes across Strines Moor (best bit!) to Midhopestones; left on A628 and left onto B6105 to Glossop; then A624 to Chapel-en-le Frith; A6 to Buxton; A515 to Ashboune, A52 towards home.

Hello Martin, what time do you reckon you would stop at Longnor? It's about an hour and a half from me, I'd do the run as far as Glossop and then head back north from there. Sunday 28th would suit me - I think that's also a possible for Mike (Moco)

Thanks

Chris

Grumpy
13-07-2019, 10:45 PM
Depending on when you're planning to run the suggested toddle, I'm game!

Moco1961
14-07-2019, 06:03 AM
Morning all, so shall we go for Sunday 28th as our starter for ten? Looks like a great day out Martin, great if we meet up with a few en route.

I'll get the route planner out and see where the potential meeting points are,:thumbsup:

utopia
14-07-2019, 12:37 PM
Yes, as Mike says, he and I were discussing a peak district run just the other week.
Count me in.
I'm free on july 28th but could do other days too.

Moco1961
14-07-2019, 03:23 PM
We did titles worth reservoir so that's a good hour and a half as Chris says, we can aim to meet up at longnor cafe stop.
Jeff, you could probably join Martin sooner on the route I am guessing?

Mr Gazza
14-07-2019, 06:03 PM
I'd love to have a bash at this in principle, but I'm looking at a 300 mile round trip just to get to and from the start/finish line. Assuming that would be in the Burton upon Trent area?
How many miles on the actual run circuit roughly? What time of day departure/return?

I could definitely only do this on a weekend, unless it was in the first week in September.

utopia
14-07-2019, 07:23 PM
An overnight stop at my place is always on the cards, Gary .. if you don't mind a sofa-bed.
In either direction, or both.

I suspect a rendezvous with Grumpy somewhere south of Derby would be the plan.

Grumpy
14-07-2019, 09:15 PM
I'm already busy on the 28th :banghead:
If any other date in August is suitable for all, I can make the toddle.

Moco1961
15-07-2019, 10:40 AM
I'm already busy on the 28th :banghead:
If any other date in August is suitable for all, I can make the toddle.

Ok so if 28th July doesn't suit all, Martin, as route guide for this ride can you let us know your availability please ? oh and it must be sunny :chuckle:

Moco1961
18-07-2019, 05:03 PM
Hey Martin, do you have some dates that we could do this with you please? :thumbsup:

Martin C
19-07-2019, 12:14 PM
Sorry for the delay in replying, my thread notifications was somehow switched off. A Sunday seems to be mostly preferred, and I can certainly do Sunday 28/07, or if the weather that day is bad then I could also do Sunday 04/08.

I had originally envisaged just a small (overnight) group setting off from my house, but the suggested meet up for more riders sounds just as good to me!

Moco1961
19-07-2019, 07:01 PM
Hi Martin,

Ok so I am good for sunday 4th too, anyone else got the 4th free?.

ChrisC2925
19-07-2019, 07:31 PM
The 4th is our scheduled NW meeting anyway, Mike, so I'm free

Grumpy
19-07-2019, 10:01 PM
Hi Martin,

Ok so I am good for sunday 4th too, anyone else got the 4th free?.

The 4th works for me, I'm in!

Moco1961
20-07-2019, 04:54 AM
Rawlings, utopia, damien666,mr G......... Does the 4th work for you guys ?

Morning all btw!:chuckle:

Martin, as an option, how many can you accommodate?

damien666
20-07-2019, 06:15 AM
Sounds good. I could meet somewhere on route. I can recommend this place as a pitstop. Hot food ends at 3pm.
https://www.yondermanncafe.com/

Moco1961
20-07-2019, 06:31 AM
.....looks good Damien, had to google it, link you posted isn't working, well for me at least. :chuckle:

Mr Gazza
20-07-2019, 08:29 AM
Dates are not too much of a problem.
I'd still like an approximate start/finish time and place, also an approximation of the run miles please?

Martin C
20-07-2019, 11:00 AM
I think the circular route from my house is about 130 miles. As regards accommodation, I have a guest double bed, plus floorspace for 3 airbeds (of which I have 2), no smoking/vaping indoors!

Mark9
20-07-2019, 01:23 PM
I usually ride alone because I find riding with others a bit frustrating, i.e, a corner is coming up that I’d like to take a a particular speed but I can’t because I’m stuck in a procession of drivelling idiots and I have to go around it at “convoy” speed, or worse the rider in front of me goes around said bend so much quicker and better than I could, (that is the worst! bruised ego, quick blame the tyres!), also most people don’t actually like me very much so it’s a mutually beneficial arrangement , however on this occasion for some reason I am inexplicably interested??, so I’ll join in if I can.
PS a mate of mine would like to come along also, trouble is he’s got an XSR900, is that allowed?.

damien666
20-07-2019, 02:41 PM
Not usually a pack rider myself, but would be good to meet a few like minded folk.

Moco1961
20-07-2019, 03:11 PM
That's some introduction Mark :chuckle:, as a suggestion if we end up,using the drop,off system you could be the last man, that way you can drop back at will and take the bends as you wish.

It will be great to meet new faces, I was thinking back to Martins original post, if he is taking us around the Peak districts best twisty roads, that means we are....The Peaky Winders !

.......and on that note ...:chuckle::chuckle::chuckle::chuckle:

Mark9
20-07-2019, 03:32 PM
That's some introduction Mark :chuckle:, as a suggestion if we end up,using the drop,off system you could be the last man, that way you can drop back at will and take the bends as you wish.

It will be great to meet new faces, I was thinking back to Martins original post, if he is taking us around the Peak districts best twisty roads, that means we are....The Peaky Winders !
Re
.......and on that note ...:chuckle::chuckle::chuckle::chuckle:

And if I were picked up last I’d have less time to get on peoples nerves, a brilliant solution Moco1961

Moco1961
20-07-2019, 03:36 PM
,great stuff Mark, oh btw we do have "guests" so your mate not a problem, may ask Andy along, he has a Triumph, they can be on the naughty step together :chuckle:

Mr Gazza
20-07-2019, 04:09 PM
So...What time would you be thinking of pushing off from (presumably) Burton upon Trent?

Just so's I know what time to get up on a Sunday morning! I'll do the whole thing in one day. It'll only be about 400 miles.

Moco1961
20-07-2019, 06:17 PM
Would meeting at longnor for say 10.30 be realistic?..,

It's a stretch for you Gary but I reckon you would be ready for breaky by then!

Khanivore
20-07-2019, 07:20 PM
Big coincidence here but I’m meeting a friend in Birmingham on 3rd! I live near Gatwick airport. I could maybe crash at his for the night and come join you on 4th! Where would I meet you if coming from Birmingham and at what time?

Mr Gazza
20-07-2019, 07:33 PM
I did the Widnes, Warrington, Lymm round trip in one day and that was about 500 miles.

Besides I can get a late weather update and decide on the day.
Roads should be quiet early and late too.

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/holidaymakers-warned-of-delays-as-busiest-summer-getaway-for-five-years-begins/ar-AAEzXLn?ocid=ientp

Martin C
21-07-2019, 04:29 AM
Would meeting at longnor for say 10.30 be realistic?..,

It's a stretch for you Gary but I reckon you would be ready for breaky by then!

Yes, 10.30 @ Longnor would be fine with me. The old larger cafe there has been turned into a posher restaurant, but the smaller cafe is still biker friendly.

Martin C
21-07-2019, 04:35 AM
Big coincidence here but I’m meeting a friend in Birmingham on 3rd! I live near Gatwick airport. I could maybe crash at his for the night and come join you on 4th! Where would I meet you if coming from Birmingham and at what time?

Come up the A38 and meet me at the petrol station by the roundabout with the A52 on the southeast side of Derby, 9.00 am.

Khanivore
21-07-2019, 07:38 AM
Come up the A38 and meet me at the petrol station by the roundabout with the A52 on the southeast side of Derby, 9.00 am.

This place?
Texaco
400 Chequers Rd, Derby DE21 6EN
https://goo.gl/maps/5vqM4tu73sW7FMeh6

Rrawlings
21-07-2019, 01:18 PM
Hi guys. Unfortunately I can’t make the 4th which is a big shame. Was looking forward to it. What are the chances of getting the route list and I’ll do it alone next time I’m over the Peaks?

Martin C
21-07-2019, 04:48 PM
NO!! I mean the petrol station (can't recall the brand) at the 'Markeaton' island (= roundabout), where the A38 from Birmingham is called 'Kingsway' and meets the A52 Ashbourne Road. My Google Maps doesn't seem to show the petrol station there, just the adjacent McDonalds's.

Martin C
21-07-2019, 04:49 PM
NO!! I mean the petrol station (can't recall the brand) at the 'Markeaton' island (= roundabout), where the A38 from Birmingham is called 'Kingsway' and meets the A52 Ashbourne Road. My Google Maps doesn't seem to show the petrol station there, just the adjacent McDonalds's.

The message quoted here was for Kharnivore.

Martin C
21-07-2019, 04:50 PM
Hi guys. Unfortunately I can’t make the 4th which is a big shame. Was looking forward to it. What are the chances of getting the route list and I’ll do it alone next time I’m over the Peaks?

I did list most of the route earlier in this thread.

Khanivore
21-07-2019, 06:19 PM
Ahh this place :)

Esso
https://goo.gl/maps/SFKJHNQhS27SfmVNA

Martin C
22-07-2019, 07:39 AM
Ahh this place :)

Esso
https://goo.gl/maps/SFKJHNQhS27SfmVNA

That’s it! If it turns out that you can’t crash at your Birmingham mate’s place, my offer of accommodation still stands - for you and others. I did originally kind of expect some people from down south to want to do this ride.

utopia
23-07-2019, 01:55 PM
Sorry, I've been off the radar for the last little while and unable to log in.
At the moment though, 4th is free in my diary.

Khanivore
23-07-2019, 02:40 PM
That’s it! If it turns out that you can’t crash at your Birmingham mate’s place, my offer of accommodation still stands - for you and others. I did originally kind of expect some people from down south to want to do this ride.

That’s really kind of you. There’s a spanner in the works now. I don’t know until 1st or 2nd whether I can join you. I’ll definitely let you know on here though so there is no guessing games.

Dukedesmo
23-07-2019, 07:33 PM
Sounds like a good one, I'll definitely try to make this. :thumbsup:

Moco1961
28-07-2019, 05:36 AM
, after the dissappointment of cancelling this mornings North West meet due to weather, I dared to look at the forcast for Longnor next Sunday " light rain with moderate wind", right now I will take that! The week ahead seems to be littered with thunderstorms,Tuesday,Wednesday and Thursday but improving, keep,us posted Martin. It's usually a thumbs up from us when the chance of rain is 20 % or less.........currently in the North West it's 90%:thumbsdown:

Mr Gazza
28-07-2019, 10:23 AM
Still going to leave this until Saturday evening to decide, depending on the weather and how fit I feel.
Discovered that My MOT runs out on the 4th, so hoping to get a Saturday morning appointment!

Grumpy
28-07-2019, 06:57 PM
Im still game, although like Gary, I'm going to make a decision on Saturday based on the weather.
Possibly going to book into a b&b on Saturday night in the Derby area as I'm attending a bbq on Saturday late afternoon near Northampton.

Moco1961
28-07-2019, 07:11 PM
Sounds sensible guys, weather is pants at the moment,hopefully August will be drier for all of us:thumbsup:

Martin C
29-07-2019, 08:02 AM
, after the dissappointment of cancelling this mornings North West meet due to weather, I dared to look at the forcast for Longnor next Sunday " light rain with moderate wind", right now I will take that! The week ahead seems to be littered with thunderstorms,Tuesday,Wednesday and Thursday but improving, keep,us posted Martin. It's usually a thumbs up from us when the chance of rain is 20 % or less.........currently in the North West it's 90%:thumbsdown:

The forecast is currently bad for Sunday, but i'll keep a close eye on it and update here later in the week. However, the forecast for Saturday is currently good, and if anyone wants to switch to that date I could do that instead.

Fingers crossed! (UK weather is why I like riding in Spain & Portugal when possible!)

Martin C
29-07-2019, 08:05 AM
Im still game, although like Gary, I'm going to make a decision on Saturday based on the weather.
Possibly going to book into a b&b on Saturday night in the Derby area as I'm attending a bbq on Saturday late afternoon near Northampton.

My ovenight accommodation offer stands, subject to time of arrival on Saturday (or Friday).

Grumpy
29-07-2019, 09:45 PM
My ovenight accommodation offer stands, subject to time of arrival on Saturday (or Friday).

Thanks, I suspect my arrival time would be after 10pm.How would this for in with yourself?

Saturday is out for me, as I'm working until about 2pm

Martin C
29-07-2019, 10:27 PM
Thanks, I suspect my arrival time would be after 10pm.How would this for in with yourself?

Saturday is out for me, as I'm working until about 2pm

No problem either day, but a bit too late for a proper meal!

Grumpy
30-07-2019, 08:51 PM
No problem either day, but a bit too late for a proper meal!

I'm going to a bbq on Saturday near Northampton, which starts at 4pm.
Thanks for the offer of a meal, but should be ok.

Martin C
31-07-2019, 06:09 AM
Hopefully the weather forecast for Sunday will improve, but if it doesn’t and Saturday’s forecast stays OK, does anyone want to switch to Saturday instead?

ChrisC2925
31-07-2019, 03:13 PM
Hopefully the weather forecast for Sunday will improve, but if it doesn’t and Saturday’s forecast stays OK, does anyone want to switch to Saturday instead?

Hi Martin

Saturday is out for me, I've got an appointment at 11:30

Chris

Mr Gazza
31-07-2019, 03:24 PM
MOT for me Saturday morning.

Moco1961
31-07-2019, 04:49 PM
sorry Martin, I cant do this Saturday either. To be fair the BBC weather website gives less than 25% rain up until 15:00 at Longnor....dont know about anyone else but thats just on our limit for going for it:thumbsup:

Martin C
01-08-2019, 04:16 PM
My iPhone’s weather app is usually pretty good, so I’ll see what it says tomorrow (Friday) morning and decide then. I really don’t want to do this run on wet roads, because there is likely to be quite a bit of gravel that has been recently washed into the road and pushed by 4 wheeled traffic precisely into my preferred riding lines!

Moco1961
01-08-2019, 04:55 PM
Thats a sensible shout Martin, if we have to re boot then thats what we will have to do...I notice there is a Dam on the edge of the Peak district which is damaged as a result of the recent heavy rain and they are thinking of evacuating Whaley Bridge.....is that on your route !!

slob
01-08-2019, 05:38 PM
you’ll miss it by about three miles as you come over chinley head, stockport might me under water if the dam lets go though

Mr Gazza
01-08-2019, 06:09 PM
http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/whaley-bridge-dam-collapse-town-evacuated-as-danger-to-life-warning-issued/ar-AAFb4BZ?ocid=ientp

That's truly frightening! They're not exaggerating. The way dams fail is by washing out the back, exactly as this one is doing. Not stopping the rubber neckers standing underneath to film it on their portable telephones though!!! Doh!

Martin C
01-08-2019, 07:31 PM
you’ll miss it by about three miles as you come over chinley head, stockport might me under water if the dam lets go though

As Slob says, my route south from the Woodhead Pass goes somewhat east of Whaley Bridge to Chapel-en-le Frith - where I believe most of the evacuees from Whaley Bridge are being temporarily (I hope) located.

Grumpy
01-08-2019, 08:44 PM
My iPhone’s weather app is usually pretty good, so I’ll see what it says tomorrow (Friday) morning and decide then. I really don’t want to do this run on wet roads, because there is likely to be quite a bit of gravel that has been recently washed into the road and pushed by 4 wheeled traffic precisely into my preferred riding lines!

If the roads are wet, takes the fun out of the day.

Thats a sensible shout Martin, if we have to re boot then thats what we will have to do...I notice there is a Dam on the edge of the Peak district which is damaged as a result of the recent heavy rain and they are thinking of evacuating Whaley Bridge.....is that on your route !!

I agree, a re schedule may be a better shout, especially as the met are saying another heat wave could be on the way.

Martin C
02-08-2019, 06:41 AM
POSTPONED: my latest weather forecasts for this Sunday are all saying some rain, so as far as I’m concerned this run has to be postponed, regrettably.
However, for this Saturday the forecasts are all saying dry (but cloudy), so if that continues to be the case then I’m happy to go on Saturday by myself - if anyone wishes to join me, give me a call anytime today on 07768-941222.

Moco1961
02-08-2019, 07:18 AM
..............forecast has got worse actually, thundery showers now on sunday !:banghead:

Mr Gazza
02-08-2019, 04:52 PM
Sorry you had to do this Martin, but it is for the best and to be honest I'm quite relieved.

Don't let this put you off organising runs and events for the club even if sometimes it doesn't work out as planned. Everyone will understand.

September would be a good time to look at this run again?

Martin C
02-08-2019, 06:26 PM
Sorry you had to do this Martin, but it is for the best and to be honest I'm quite relieved.

Don't let this put you off organising runs and events for the club even if sometimes it doesn't work out as planned. Everyone will understand.

September would be a good time to look at this run again?

Thanks, and it hasn’t put me off - I’ll be doing it on Saturday by myself quite happily. I realise that many of you have more commitments and demands on your time than I do, so no problem at all.
Mind you, I’ve just spent 2 hours in my courtyard replacing the Monster’s found-to-be-jammed-and-leaking rear tyre valve assembly (I keep spares), using an old truck valve-spring compressor with fiddly blocks of wood in order to - eventually - break the tyre bead in-situ and thus get to the blasted thing, without removing the wheel.🙂 Fortunately, I can still remember how to do this sort of unexpected last-minute stuff! The downside of that tedious task being necessary is that I was then unable to simultaneously sunbathe and do my VAT return.☹️

Grumpy
02-08-2019, 11:18 PM
Probably the best decision Martin.
I'm still interested, so have a ponder on some dates.

Martin C
04-08-2019, 08:42 AM
Having done this ride yesterday on my own (sunny and dry!), I can confirm the complete curcuit from my house (Swadlincote) is 152 miles, and takes at least 5 hours including 3 x 15 minute stops. With a group it will of course take longer, probably about 6 hours. It’s a jolly good day out!

Grumpy
04-08-2019, 08:03 PM
Having done this ride yesterday on my own (sunny and dry!), I can confirm the complete curcuit from my house (Swadlincote) is 152 miles, and takes at least 5 hours including 3 x 15 minute stops. With a group it will of course take longer, probably about 6 hours. It’s a jolly good day out!

Great intel, what revised date are you thinking of for the run?
I love a jolly good day out!