PDA

View Full Version : duff S4 coil

johnypebs
18-03-2004, 04:20 PM
****in magic! I work my buns off 5 weeks out of the last 6 looking forward to a shot on my bike, pull the cover off it and the fairies have turned it into a single. Although the plug on the front pot sparked OK when turned over, it wouldn't run below 2000 rpm back in the engine. Put in new plugs, no difference, so I swapped the coils around and the fault migrated with it (you can tell which pot is out by the temp' of the ex' pipe) so it looks like a gubbed coil. A new one is on order but my weekend run is oot the b#stard windae, and once the new one is in how do I know it won't expire in the next lot of bad weather?
Has anyone else had this bother? and if so is it because of (as I suspect) the bloody stupid location of a high voltage ignition coil, right in the path of salt, grit and water with not even a rubber sleeve over it. I was going to totally spit the dummy and blame the Italian electrics until I noticed 'Denso' written on the coil.
Bag o' sh!te man. Wish I still had my Africa twin, at least it worked in the winter.

spacemonkey
18-03-2004, 05:44 PM
Without stating the obvious, I assume you did swap just the coils? My prob lied in the ignition module connectors.

Anyway, how about shoving a condom or latex glove over them to keep the ****e out?

johnypebs
18-03-2004, 06:15 PM
The S4 coils mount directly onto the plug, I unclipped and swapped them over and the fault went with the coil from the front cylinder.
As for preventitive measures, the factory really ought to have had a better think about placing the coil where they did. These type of coils work fine on a gsx 1400 where they're mounted under the tank, not pointing at a constant source of wetness and poo like on the S4.
I have a coil ordered but if I get any more problems the next one will be re-located with an HT lead and plug cap.

spacemonkey
18-03-2004, 06:54 PM
Another idea would be to spray the offending item with electrical plastic insulating spray. It is a clear, non-conductive acrylic coating a bit like lacquer. Should work ok.

johnypebs
18-03-2004, 09:00 PM
Thanks Nick but I'm not short of ideas or bodges, that's not the point though on a nearly new £7000 motorcycle. The design in this area is lacking, it's clearly not up to the job of year round riding in this country. It's not as ****e as the rear suspension on my Buell was but it's not far behind. A bike like an S4 that chimes in on both pots when you have a handfull of throttle trying to keep it going on one is not funny.

spacemonkey
18-03-2004, 09:22 PM
I couldn't agree with you more. How on Earth people in this world really believe that they can sell a product for a huge sum of money with so many flaws and people will put up with it.
If you think that is bad, count yourself lucky you didn't buy a Ferarri, Aston Martin or some other overpriced collection of spare parts...

johnypebs
22-03-2004, 05:13 PM
Coil update: new one fitted today and works OK.