PDA

View Full Version : Front Rear Indicators and Tail Chop

JJCool
18-03-2004, 07:49 AM
Hello, All,

Little help and advice please, Im doing a tail chop on my Monster Sooon, (I hope its next weekend) ive seen all the stuff on the board about how to do it, but what i cant find is some way of mounting the rear indicators and number plate, Do any of you know where i can get a purpose built brackct to mount the plate and indicators, Also i wana change the front indicators but they have funny 90 degree mounts and body changed there front indicators? where did you mount them?, where did you buy them? Any help, Advise OR if anyone has a bracket for sale !!!!!! please reply, Many Thanks OH OH yeah its a 96 M900 just incase they have diffrent indicators etcetc

Melnie Mouse
18-03-2004, 09:15 AM
yeah you want the motrax catalogue, any good bike shop will sell motrax stuff, they do what they call an 'Rrsend' which is bracket to hold no.plate (stretchable metal) and available silver or black 14.99 they also hold spaces on the retractable bit for any type of indicator you may wish to use...

:)

Chris
18-03-2004, 09:16 AM
JJ,
I've done mine and so has Martin B around the corner. We are only in Bedford if you want to ride over and have a look.

In the meantime, here's a picture.

slowerthanmymum
18-03-2004, 11:40 AM
I did mine recently. I used the old mudguard/licence plate holder which I cut down to size. The rearmost 2 holes which the tea tray
secured to are now level with the seat bracket forward of the rear light.
It looks fine and has the advantage of holding a trimmed but full
size number plate, number plate light and allows me to use the original indicator mounts.
The main advangate and the reason I did it, its free.

Pedro
18-03-2004, 12:13 PM
Get on to Spareshack - he should have a kit that lets you mount everything on proper like..

Still think it's not right to hacksaw bits off yer bike tho.......

Ped

A Yerbury
18-03-2004, 12:16 PM
take one piece of bendy metal. cut and drill. If you want to spend a bit more then stuart (click on sponser) sells various brackets which will bo the job beautifully. I belive "tail tidy" is the technical term.
get hacking.
Alex
ps dont 4get a bit of primer where u cut the frame to stop Great British rust.
-obvbiously this picture is the inbetween stage- sans bendy metal
and number plate. I plugged the end s up with bar ends (gratis from daytona-ta) and the indicators are stuck on the side of the tail light.

A Yerbury
18-03-2004, 12:19 PM
ped, that protrusion is the ducati equiv of one s appendix!
:)
cut it of man and be done with it.

A Yerbury
18-03-2004, 12:20 PM
off rather...

Billy Bigwheels
18-03-2004, 12:23 PM
I'm with you Ped.

Jay
18-03-2004, 01:35 PM
I was gonna do it, and then thought that as I ride in any ol' weather, I didn't fancy having crap all the way up my back, I'll go on a trally for that!

Looks good though, as somebody once said on this board, Ducati probably tried it without the tea-tray and found out the result themselves, and quickly put a mudgurad on, ah well...

JJCool
18-03-2004, 02:38 PM
Thanks for the advice guys, Lots of good tips here, now i can get on with it, I have to say, I know its criminal to hack yer bike up, but so is that feck mud guard Just criminal....!!!!! so it has to go..... Oh yeah any sugestions on the front indicators? those big stalk things are HUGE......

JJ

A Yerbury
18-03-2004, 03:09 PM
I sorced a road racing lil mudguard thing (bargain, cheers ebay) looks as cool as a fridge but have yet to give it a test. will do a pic soon.
so YES, without the tail things can get downright dirty.

A Yerbury
18-03-2004, 03:12 PM
ps jmo often refers to her ickle indicators so she'd know about the front. Ive put some flush motrax ones on the fairing on mine tho..

Melnie Mouse
18-03-2004, 03:50 PM
I agree with ped, u don't want hack stuff off, especially as maybe one day you may want to change your bike, people seem to prefer an original one (for some reason) rather than 'one done already' so at least the option could still be there then... Also, if you're going to make one, the time and materials surely are more expensive than an Rsend from Motrax at only 14.99! less hassle looks nice :)

I'd like to see a spareshack one though.. any one got a picture of that put on here?

Jay
18-03-2004, 03:53 PM
I have yet to fit them, but I have some Rizoma LED indicators, in Alluminium, they can be fixed in a variety of ways. Either through the standard brackets (if you don't have a fairing) or via brackets which attach to the forks, which the way I was going to go)...

Alex, have you got a pic of the Flush fitted indicators? I was looking at that option for the road-racing faring I have which won't fit with the standard post 1996 indicators.

J

18-03-2004, 04:44 PM
Just done the opposite and re-attached the frame tail and tea tray. Not that easy a job but managed it without involving welding. looks much better now :D

Pedro
18-03-2004, 05:42 PM
JJ

what about these indicators?

The body is polished ally but they don't cost the earth. Paid £20 per pair from Busters in Swansea. They're nice and bright too.

When fitting them, you have to fully insulate them from any metal work else you'll get through lots of fuses.

Ped

A Yerbury
18-03-2004, 05:45 PM
no net yet, it's not a standard monst fairing..more a streetfighter kinda thing. a bit like a cagiva dna. here s the fairing without- Im sure u could imagine them on?

Jay
18-03-2004, 05:54 PM
Cheers Alex, not sure where you put em...

I'm not sure what I'm gonna do with mine yet, not sure indicators on the forks are gonna be very visable, and in my area, tis better to let people know when you're turning, otherwise they think you just wanna race all the time, sigh...

JMo
18-03-2004, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by A Yerbury
ps jmo often refers to her ickle indicators so she'd know about the front. Ive put some flush motrax ones on the fairing on mine tho..

here you go JJ - picture(s) of ikkle indicators. Motrax seem to do them now too (called Tinycators @29.99 pair in black or silver anodised) - they are Emarked, very bright dispite their size, and the Germans seem to love 'em on their streetfighters...

I got mine from Spareshack - if you want polished, so will you - as did Grunt and Terry (Fatbloke) too I believe. They are good, although you might find they flash faster than the standard units, but you can fit a capacitor (from Stu @ Spareshack) to slow things down a bit.

Mine is an 02 bike, and the fronts mount onto the screen bracket (as shown in pic), but you can use/drill any 8mm hole where you prefer.

Now, don't listen to the wossies - get that bloody hacksaw out!

xxx

A Yerbury
18-03-2004, 06:01 PM
tell it like it is girl!

JMo
18-03-2004, 06:01 PM
...and at the rear:

xxx

Jay
18-03-2004, 06:33 PM
Huh! Wossies indeed!! Funny I don't see a single monster while I'm blatting around in the rain, ay!! Well it is London.... but ner anyway! :)

netstar
18-03-2004, 07:49 PM
I must be really sensible because I would rather be seen ... some of these after market bits seem abit ..... well tiny! I have been told that my number plate looks like a flag! I don't care so there:p

A Yerbury
18-03-2004, 08:00 PM
spareshack do a delux "lead alloy" tail in XXXL, a bit like "high n mighty" but for monsters.

spacemonkey
18-03-2004, 09:25 PM
"Huh! Wossies indeed!! Funny I don't see a single monster while I'm blatting around in the rain, ay!! Well it is London...."

You obviously haven't seen me then... I'm usually riding a loop from Highbury-Feltham-Wembley-Kenton-Highbury. In all weathers (if bike working ...).

A Yerbury
18-03-2004, 10:05 PM
If the monster came without a tail would people pay to have them stuck on? honestly now!

JJCool
19-03-2004, 05:47 PM
Hello,

I bought a Motrax Rsend, looks like itll do the job, And the indicators i bought for the back are gona go on the front i think, but ill wait n see, The front needs some 90 degree mounting brackets so will look for these or drill a hole through the light bracket, Anyway, I would never cut up a new bike, I was gona buy a new M1000, or a s4 but decided that a M900 with good history was the way to go, That way i would not lose to much money by hackingh the back end off, Its a matter of taste, The monster is my toy, so i just want a nice Ard looking bike......M900 96 plate, 7000 miles all documented!! will post picture later once the Termi's are on and the tail is hacked off.......Thanks for all the pics, JJ

19-03-2004, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by A Yerbury
If the monster came without a tail would people pay to have them stuck on? honestly now!

Well my Monster did come without a tail and I did pay someone to stick it back on!! Actually I did it myself but it took a bit of effort and engineering skilll.

Turned up some steel spigots to go inside and join the frame tubes. Milled a small slot in them to clear the welding seam in the tubes. Drilled holes in frame tubes and drilled and tapped holes in the spigots. Put it all back together. Rewired rear light and number plate light. Re-fitted tea tray and numeber plate bracket and put standard indicators back on, after re-wiring them too!!

Does that answer your question? :D

A Yerbury
19-03-2004, 08:29 PM
there's always one... still, those concerned about reasale value or averse to carving things up should stop whinging as we can now see tail chops aint irreversable!

steviej
20-03-2004, 11:14 PM
CHOP CHOP CHOP chop chop chop CHOP CHOP CHOP chop chop chop CHOP CHOP CHOP chop chop chop :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Was it Nicky who said "JUST DO IT!!";)

JJCool
21-03-2004, 07:38 AM
Hi Ho Hi Ho, Its of to work we go,,, With a bucket n spade, and a handgrenade.... Hi ho hi ho..................... i think we should have a vote, Choped tails are cool......Or Not.....to do or not to do...... LOL