PDA

View Full Version : Universal speedos, anyone fitted one?

Macflurry
11-05-2019, 02:38 PM
Hi guys,

I've been looking at doing a custom setup for the clocks and lights as I rebuild my bike. As my M900 is cable driven, how can you ensure that the speedo is accurate?

I'm guessing different speedo manufacturers have different internals that read at a different rate and also bike manufacturers have different gearing where the cable connects by the front wheel.

So how can you adjust for aftermarket dials?

mickj
11-05-2019, 03:43 PM
Don't know what they are called but the is a bolt on gearbox to adjust the speedo for different size tyres/wheels etc, it fits inline with the speedo cable. You might try one of them.

350TSS
11-05-2019, 04:06 PM
Have a look at this
https://uk.banggood.com/search/motorcycle-speedometer-digital.html
It might be an easier way out than finding a marriage for a custom speedo and a mechanical drive
rigging a hall effect sensor working on the rear disc bolts will be a lot easier

Nickj
11-05-2019, 05:53 PM
I had a trailtech vapor dash on one of my monsters, it worked nicely except for the rev counter which was a bit tetchy.
Nice feature of these is that you can switch from MPH to KPH as the main display.

Macflurry
11-05-2019, 08:03 PM
Thanks guys, I'll take a look at those.

So far everything I had seen was either for the digitally driven ones or from the States saying that you need to take your bike to a speedo shop to get the gears in the drive changed out. Never heard of a speedo shop over here!!