PDA

View Full Version : leaking fork

invigiator
17-03-2004, 09:26 AM
Aaagh!!! :twisted:

I just replaced one of my front forks because the braided brake line had worn through the cylinder.

And now, a couple of hundred miles later ....

the other one is bloody well leaking. I think. The smooth lower part is wet with oil.

How bad is this? And how difficult to fix? Am I going to have to have the fork rebuilt? :confused:

fatbloke
17-03-2004, 10:41 AM
providing the fork tube is not pitted its qutie easy to do yourself with the aid of a manual, but other wise it shouldn't be a long job for your local mechanic, and fork seals aint that costly.

spacemonkey
17-03-2004, 09:17 PM
My inner and outer seals set me back about £18...........

spacemonkey
17-03-2004, 09:22 PM
Oh, and if the chrome IS scored you're stuffed. Ducati will only sell you the complete lower assembly for about £250 +vat but add on top of that assembly etc. Second hand fork legs (as you know) are as rare as rocking horse poo, and expensive if you do find one. I had mine rechromed and reground and then reassembled. This cost me about £140 in the UK. I don't know if anyone in Japan will do a similar service, but going by the Japanese dislike of buying anything second hand, you might have better luck getting a second hand one.

Hopefully though, the chrome will be ok and you can just do the seals....

Chris
17-03-2004, 09:31 PM
I have a pair of fork legs of a 2001 M900 dark for sale if you're interested. Should also have a twin disk set-up (calipers, discks and hose) for sale soon to fit them. Don't know haow much they'd cost to post though!

invigiator
17-03-2004, 10:28 PM
Well, I'm off to the Ducati shop this morning to see what they have to say about it.

Thanks again for the advice. I'll let you nkow what the verdict comes out as.

Julian

invigiator
18-03-2004, 02:14 AM
Hmmm! I'm having both forks re-done I think ...
Comes to about 200 quid including having a few things safety wired for the track.

spacemonkey
18-03-2004, 05:52 PM
Chris, trust me it will cost a bomb to post them to Japan. I used to post smaller items of similar weight and it cost about £100+