PDA

View Full Version : Non starter

jimal1969
22-04-2019, 01:03 PM
Charged the bike overnight and started no problem this morning. I brought it home and have it a wash and it won’t start now. I can here the fuel primer and the neutral light and oil light are coming on but the small yellow alarm/immobiliser light are NOT coming on and nor are the dials doing the ignition sweep round thing. Can anyone help?
It’s a 02 M750 dark 🙁

rollo22
22-04-2019, 03:28 PM
The antenna in the ignition switch housing may have come loose and slid down the barrel.

jimal1969
22-04-2019, 03:44 PM
I wondered if it could be something to do with ignition barrel. Should I open it up? But then what ?

Nickj
22-04-2019, 04:38 PM
You shouldn't get any real issues with water on most parts with a hand wash. Use a pressure washer and water can get almost anywhere.

I'd check the key sensor ariel, but the clocks not sweeping would also have me looking elsewhere. My 750ie would do everything normally with the sensor ariel disconnected but the immobiliser would have kicked in, you could even spin the motor up but it just didn't fire.
So I'd disconnect the big plug into the clock set (clean and refit), visually check the loom down stream of the plug for damage. They can leak in water which can give current leaks between joins in the wires. Also check the fuses and relays.

jimal1969
23-04-2019, 06:41 AM
If the key sensor aerial is the thin wire that travels up to the top of the key barrel, it looks all in place and in fact it looks like it’s sealed there and I’m unable to remove it? I’ll try tidying up and looking at the wires behind the clocks later but with my zero knowledge of all things electronic and mechanic I’m not holding out much hope. I think in the past I’ve relied on the bike miraculously fixing itself in these situations

Nickj
23-04-2019, 08:41 AM
Well even a miraculous fix is a good clue to what's going on.
If it does mend itself given the warm few days we're having then it's probably some damp shorting out a connection either at a connector or in the loom.

Darren69
23-04-2019, 10:07 AM
Trouble with that approach you don't find the root cause, so its still there waiting, lurking ready to fail again at some point.

jimal1969
23-04-2019, 02:25 PM
Okay, let’s approach it another way...what about the little yellow light in the middle of the dial casing that flashes periodically to show the alarm is on, isn’t flashing??:shocked:

jimal1969
23-04-2019, 02:44 PM
Fixed it!!!! The ecu thing next to the battery needed wobbling about !!!! ������

mickj
23-04-2019, 03:42 PM
My kind of fault finding, smack everything in turn until it starts ;)