PDA

View Full Version : MoT - Schoolboy Error

boris
20-02-2019, 07:23 PM
Took the good lady's bike for it's first MoT today. Parked up and Tester comes out to greet and says 'Failed.' Doh - I forgot to remove the 'pretty plate' and put the expected one on! I'm doubly Pd-Orf as on my own MoT reminders, I staple a 'must-do' list to it as a brain jerk. If a duff plate is categorised as a Serious Defect, God knows what some death traps must be existing out there?

One to chalk up as a senior moment :banghead:

Flip
20-02-2019, 09:20 PM
At least he told you before doing the test and taking the money for it.

But agreed, putting things in perspective a non conforming plate should really be an just advisory in my opinion.

slob
20-02-2019, 10:02 PM
or a nick for perverting the course of justice (anpr fail)

retest should be free anyway...

Flip
20-02-2019, 10:15 PM
or a nick for perverting the course of justice (anpr fail)

retest should be free anyway...

If it's so small and fails to be recognised by an ANPR then they can't trace it anyway :mand:

Just to tempt fate- I've never had a problem with my 'letter box' plate in all the years I've owned my bike- it even used to pass MoT's back when there was no check for them.

I thought the retest was only free if the bike stayed on the premises to have the work done else it is half fee?

slob
21-02-2019, 07:36 AM
I’ve always got free retests, I think it’s down to the shop.

ANPR is not just about size (they can read what brand of cigs you smoke from orbit these days), spacing & font too. Apparently artificial inteligence can understand
W4 NKA but has a problem with W4 NKA or W4NKA
probably the result of a poor budgetry decision at the Ministry of Truth.

mickj
21-02-2019, 09:06 AM
The MOT test station I use will give a free retest as long as I don't take it away for too long, I mean over a week or so.

Ezio
21-02-2019, 10:05 AM
I get an advisory every year on the Aprilia for a 'noisy exhaust'. This is after I've taken off the Akraprovic (v.loud) and put on the original silencer... I mean, have you seen an original RSV silencer?

https://i.postimg.cc/tgtj3sBt/Aprilia-RSV1000-R-03-2.jpg (https://postimages.org/)